Author Topic: Aircraft  (Read 774636 times)

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Aircraft
« Reply #1680 on: October 29, 2011, 09:35:56 PM »
Got it!   

I had NO idea that something so interesting and historically important was only an hour away!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #1681 on: October 30, 2011, 05:41:34 AM »
I wish that the CAF could have aquired a B32, but the CAF wasn't around till 1957. We do have a B23 in restoration at the HQ in Midland.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #1682 on: November 04, 2011, 08:46:11 PM »
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Advertising

« Reply #1683 on: Today at 06:00:56 AM »

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #1683 on: December 05, 2011, 09:20:04 PM »
Here's some more Warbird footage from a German Airshow...

http://www.clipwings.com/clip/1182/Duxford_Flying_Legends_2011__DE_vers
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1684 on: December 06, 2011, 08:51:52 AM »
Duxford is in England/Great Britain, but the posters on the website were certainly German!  The felow who produced it, Mike Vario, may be German - and it does say German in the Title - right before Duxford.

Be that as it may, it was a great 12 minutes and thanks VERY much for posting the link, Major!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1685 on: December 06, 2011, 05:15:32 PM »
Duxford is definitely on my "Bucket List". A nice gathering of WW2 fighter planes.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1686 on: December 29, 2011, 01:05:09 PM »
The work on the A-26 is coming along. It is still at Brecckenridge at the restoration facility and will be there for at least another month.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1687 on: December 29, 2011, 04:12:29 PM »
A26 planes are very cool.  I've always liked the movie (Forever sumthin' - I fergit the name) about the fire bombers because there were some good flying shots and the A26 was their primary borate or water bomber.  It had Holly Hunter, John Goodman, & Richard Dreyfus.  It also had some not-so-good shots of flying models, but that's the way it goes - they tried.  I like the ones with the nose full of cal. 50s - it's a powerful package.  The last ones that were used  in Viet Nam with the wing tip tanks and other mods were awesome machines.  I think most of the pilots who flew them really liked them, but they were getting pretty worn and started having wing-warping or breakage issues.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1688 on: December 30, 2011, 05:50:13 AM »
SHB,   "Always" was the name of the movie. There is one of those A-26s from Viet Nam in our hangar. I private outfit is restoring it. The CIA ordered all those planes destroyed, somehow this one survived.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1689 on: December 30, 2011, 11:42:56 AM »
Aha!  Weren't those done by the same folks as the Cavalier Mustangs?  VERY cool!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1690 on: December 31, 2011, 04:23:03 AM »
I am hoping that someday both A-26s in our hangar will be able to fly together.  Our A-26 is still in Breckenridge being restored. It should be ready to have a check ride in a week or two. If that goes okay, it will be flown to our hangar for the finishing touches. It will be a welcome addition to the hangar.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1691 on: January 19, 2012, 04:52:07 AM »
Our  A-26 is supposed to arrive Sunday afternoon at Meacham Field in Fort Worth from the restoration facility in Breckenridge, Texas. I have not seen it in over a year. I hope she likes her new home in our hangar.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1692 on: January 21, 2012, 05:08:01 AM »
I haven't heard any more on the A-26 arrival in Fort Worth tomorrow. I hope the weather will be nice and there is a crowd to welcome her to her new home.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1693 on: January 21, 2012, 07:01:11 AM »
Me, too.  Wish I could be there.

Now I'm off to our Jan. F&AM meeting - later, amigos ...

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1694 on: January 21, 2012, 11:10:30 AM »
SHB, I wish that you could too. I wish that I could attend your meeting as well.  Tell Dave   Hi  for me if he's there.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1695 on: January 22, 2012, 10:17:54 PM »
SHB, I wish that you could too. I wish that I could attend your meeting as well.  Tell Dave   Hi  for me if he's there.

I did 'cause he was there.

;)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1696 on: January 23, 2012, 09:46:49 AM »
More Gremin's have attack the A-26 and it didn't make it to Fort Worth yesterday. The flight to Fort Worth has been re scheduled for next weekend. Let's hope it makes it here in one piece on the weekend. SHB, I am sure that there will be a Hiram's Ranger's meeting at the Convention we can all attend together.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1697 on: January 23, 2012, 11:00:59 AM »
#1 More Gremlins have attacked the A-26 and it didn't make it to Fort Worth yesterday. The flight to Fort Worth has been re scheduled for next weekend. Let's hope it makes it here in one piece on the weekend. #2 SHB, I am sure that there will be a Hiram's Ranger's meeting at the Convention we can all attend together.

Lil' Jimmy,

Re: comment #1)  Dang hang it!  As these beautiful machines get older, those dang Gremlins multiply at a furious pace!  I hope it arrives in good health, too.  Speaking of multiplying, did you know that - according to brilliant Mathematicians, rabbits love to multiply?
 ::)

Re: comment #2  Count on it!  Ron "Woody" Woods and I weren't able to shoot the 2010 NCOWS National, but we were able to drive down for the Hiram's Rangers induction Friday evening.  I was elated to be able to attend and become  TODAY!a member of this great organization, plus being able to see many of the shooters/friends, not just my Brother Masons was a real treat!  Even if my health doesn't allow me to shoot this coming year, I'll darn sure be there for a meet!

Too bad we couldn't fly there on a nice restored A26 with some extra "rider" seats!  That'd be a REAL treat, wouldn't it !?!

As to keeping these machines flying safely, I realized (some time ago) how MUCH work is required to keep 'em in the air.  These planes weren't manufactured to Rolls Royce standards, rather they were churned out as fast as possible - but with as much quality as possible to meet wartime demands.  By that I DON'T mean to demean any of the factories and workers, rather I know that they (often women) were doing the very best possible, but they were "under the gun" so to speak.  We, the folks who came later, must remember how much work had to go into these beasts, but they were essentially "throw-away" products which had to be A) better than anything the enemy had or tried to, b) GET THE CREW HOME or a close as possible, and C) they DID make them very solidly and with as much quality that they possibly could or we simply would not have SO MANY different planes STILL FLYING  today!  (But, as I know YOU know, it takes an Armoury full of ca$h to keep 'em in good shape!)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1698 on: January 23, 2012, 05:21:07 PM »
The maintence crew for the A-26 will be going to Breckenridge this week to finish repairs and ready the plane for it's flight back to Fort Worth next weekend. I plan on being in attendance when she does arrive.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1699 on: January 24, 2012, 03:55:32 PM »

Reminds me my Gramps worked for Northrop before and after the war.  They gave out special pins for the guys that built craft with ZERO DEFECTS.  I still have some put away along with the mechanics patches.  From what I was told getting a ZD pin was a big deal.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com