Author Topic: Aircraft  (Read 774702 times)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Aircraft
« Reply #1280 on: February 14, 2011, 05:21:42 PM »
C-46 was a Curtiss-Wright two engine plane a bit larger than the Goony Bird.  This rig is much bigger.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #1281 on: February 14, 2011, 06:34:21 PM »
That looks like the civilian version of the C 46.  The CAF had a C 46 at one time named "China Doll". It has since been sold. I think the military called the C46  "Commando"

TL - it's a Boeing B 307 "Stratoliner" with 4 engines.  Sort of like a DC 3 on steroids - but made by Boeing, not Douglas.

C-46 was a Curtiss-Wright two engine plane a bit larger than the Goony Bird.  This rig is much bigger.

Right you are 4T!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1282 on: February 14, 2011, 06:53:31 PM »
My nephew in AZ isn't quite 5 yet and can identify several WWII planes.  I send all the videos on here to my Dad and all the little guy wants to do is watch them over and over.  He can also break down, properly clean and reassemble a '72 Colt replica.  My Dad keeps the ammo locked away and teaches him safety.  To the kid it's the mechanics of the thing that interest him.  I can't think of a more fun day for a grandfather and grandson than to look at war birds and learn bout old guns.  Maybe someday he will be teachin me.   
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

« Reply #1283 on: Today at 04:05:13 PM »

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1283 on: February 14, 2011, 10:26:13 PM »
Cool!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1284 on: February 15, 2011, 12:24:19 AM »
OK, just for fun I thought of this tonight, yep it was on You-Tube, anyone remember this from 2003, one of the coolest TV ads I've ever seen:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXqH1q7G3BM[/youtube]
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1285 on: February 15, 2011, 06:18:41 AM »
That'e got me wanting more stuff from Generous Electric!  I have never seen this, Del - thanks for posting it!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1286 on: February 15, 2011, 12:02:16 PM »
That'e got me wanting more stuff from Generous Electric!  I have never seen this, Del - thanks for posting it!

Never saw it on main stream TV, takes some brains to understand.  Saw it on places like the History Channel and such, loved it when I first saw it.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1287 on: February 15, 2011, 01:28:07 PM »
I remember that one.  If ya need more brains ta get a kick out of it you is in a serious deficit situation.  Thanks for posting that.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #1288 on: February 15, 2011, 01:50:52 PM »
"At General Electric, Progress Is Our Most Important Product."
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1289 on: February 15, 2011, 02:05:49 PM »
Hey SHB, I got a new set of DVD's called "Hunters of the Sky", it' about WW2 fighter pilots. They have interviews with the actual pilots, US, Brit, German, Japanese, and Russian. It's really a neat set of videos with a lot of actual combat footage.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1290 on: February 15, 2011, 02:21:04 PM »
I remember that one.  If ya need more brains ta get a kick out of it you is in a serious deficit situation.  Thanks for posting that.

You mean like folks "Reality TV? ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1291 on: February 16, 2011, 09:17:25 AM »
I finished watching the DVD's on the WW2 fighters. There was a piece about WW1 fighters and there was a little video of the place in upstate NY, near where the Major lives. It was shot during one of their air shows.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1292 on: February 16, 2011, 11:08:38 AM »
I finished watching the DVD's on the WW2 fighters. There was a piece about WW1 fighters and there was a little video of the place in upstate NY, near where the Major lives. It was shot during one of their air shows.

That would have probably been Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome, founded by the late, great Cole Palen.  Been there , seen both types of their shows, and had the honor of meeting Mr. Palen.  An AWESOME place for any aircraft lover, but primarily pre-WWII flying.  And a lot of pre-WWONE aircraft as well.

http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #1293 on: February 16, 2011, 08:19:30 PM »
I hadn't seen that GE ad before, either.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1294 on: February 17, 2011, 10:25:03 AM »
OK an interesting story behind this next picture, it of a little girl waving at the Southern Cross in Brisbane Australia in 1928:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Cross_(aircraft)

A Fokker F.VII is what the plane is.

The little girl is a friend from one of my Lab boards, the girl is his late Mum.  Anyway you've heard about the flooding in Brisbane, well Garth lost the original and the copies on his computer.  I thought I had it, but didn't, but several of us searched and a friend in Sydney had it and E-Mailed this small copy and will send him the large one and most of his other old pictures on a memory stick, so here it is:

And one of the plane in Brisbane from Wiki:

And as it appears today:

I'm glad he got it back.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #1295 on: February 17, 2011, 11:20:56 AM »
They sure look different when seen in color, Del :o Much nicer, makes them seem more real. Guess we're just spoiled by color pics................Buck ::) 8)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1296 on: February 17, 2011, 03:47:04 PM »
I got an e-mail today, making it offical that the CAF A26 will be hangared in the Hangar at Meacham field In Fort Worth. They flew it to Breckenridge, Tx for some restoration work. It should be at Fort Worth in May.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #1297 on: February 18, 2011, 04:34:08 AM »
I hadn't seen that GE ad before, either.

Slim

I had a broke down GE television in 2003 missed alot of commericals back then
Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1298 on: February 18, 2011, 04:54:26 AM »
I like the new ad with the workers doing line dancing on the engine assembly line.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #1299 on: February 18, 2011, 05:46:37 AM »
I like the new ad with the workers doing line dancing on the engine assembly line.

makes me wonder who is working on the engines
Mathew 5.9

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com