Author Topic: Aircraft  (Read 774805 times)

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Aircraft
« Reply #1240 on: January 29, 2011, 06:03:58 PM »
The Lewis gun normally fired from a magazine.  I don't know the round capacity (100 rnds. I think), but one of the mag's functions served to help the cooling.  Every mag change helped the barrel to cool effectively enough to keep firing 'thru numerous mag changes.  And - especially in the air, cooling wouldn't be much of a problem ... those old guns could probably run (shoot) all day and still put out a 300-350 RPM rate.

Like Stu, I'd LOVE to have a 30-06 version ... 'tho I'd happily buy .303 dies if all I could get was the original chambering!  I always wanted a full-auto ANYTHING, but the practicalities of procuring ammo on my budget makes that a dream only.  The best thing that happened to me was the Army ... it got me over the "full-auto itch!"  Now, basically all I see is dollar signs streaking downrange when I see some lucky stiff firing ANY "fast" gun, from a Gatling gun, Ma Deuce, or up to the M134D (the Dillon 7.62 modified GE minigun gatling-type gun so often seen on the boob tube.  Having fired over a million rounds - all paid for by my taxes (and yours too, thanks very much!) consisting of 45 ACP, 9mm Para, 7.62 NATO, & .50 BMG, I don't "itch" (much) many more.
 ;)

What I'd really like to have is an M3A1 "Grease Gun."  They are a hoot and I could even (somewhat) afford to shoot one a couple times a year!  I wouldn't mind shooting an Uzi again, either.

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #1241 on: January 30, 2011, 03:39:20 AM »
SHB, Shame on you for wasting all my tax money! I don't remember if I told you about making an alarm call to an Armory full of M3's.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #1242 on: January 30, 2011, 05:45:27 AM »
Leo, The Lewis isn't much heavier than a BAR or an M60, just bulky.

Looks harder to reload
Mathew 5.9

Advertising

« Reply #1243 on: Today at 10:18:34 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1243 on: January 30, 2011, 08:21:13 AM »
The drum fits on  top of the receiver.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1244 on: January 30, 2011, 11:47:43 AM »
Jeff, a Thompson sub would be a good compromise.  38s are still fairly cheap (but the gun aint) so ya wouldn't feel so bad bout sprayin em.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1245 on: January 30, 2011, 01:48:50 PM »
Jeff, a Thompson sub would be a good compromise.  38s are still fairly cheap (but the gun aint) so ya wouldn't feel so bad bout sprayin em.

So what's 38's got to do with a Thompson, most were 45 acp, a few were 38 supers which is not cheap. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1246 on: January 30, 2011, 03:19:29 PM »
Been stuck inside, had ta get out. Rode out ta Pungo.

The plane’s sittin’ out on the concrete at the main buildin’. Had I known I was gonna get that close (no plans to go in) I’d ah brought the camera. Also sittin’ out is a trimotor thingy with German markin’s. Ain’t either of ‘em gettin’ in the hangers ‘less they empty the other stuff out ‘n at that I don’t think they could close the doors. ‘N that’s if the vertical stabilizer’d fit.

But………..

Last time I was there was late June last year. Went in to the gift shop then left. Today I spied some stuff ‘bout a ¼ mile away down a freshly paved road. Weren’t no barriers so I rode back. It’s the new Fighter Factory where they rebuild stuff. I knew they wanted out of the one they have in Suffolk. There’s a small hanger ‘n a larger one off ta the side. All still under construction. May be where they plan to store the B17. Memory may be off but it seems more land’s been cleared ‘cross from the main buildin’.

Anyways, got plans ta do a ride by with Tom later in the week. Cuz, I sure hope we can go with a little time ta spend gawkin’.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #1247 on: January 30, 2011, 04:13:51 PM »
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1248 on: January 30, 2011, 05:47:08 PM »
SHB, Shame on you for wasting all my tax money! I don't remember if I told you about making an alarm call to an Armory full of M3's.

Jimmy, I didn't WASTE any rounds or tax dollars.  They made me a better shooter ('tho it'd be hard to tell THAT today) and I enjoyed shooting ALL of them.

;)

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #1249 on: January 30, 2011, 06:53:23 PM »
Arcey, How did that fire at the NAS come out? They said they thought it was an empty storage building..........Buck ::) ???
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1250 on: January 30, 2011, 08:00:56 PM »
Arcey, How did that fire at the NAS come out? They said they thought it was an empty storage building..........Buck ::) ???

If it was the fire on the base from last week all I recall was it was a trash fire. Weren’t nothin’ else in the place.

Kinda like this game I’m tryin’ ta stay awake thru………. Void of substance………
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1251 on: February 03, 2011, 01:38:05 PM »
Great video Majer....The "RedBull" helicopter pilot does some amazing feats with his aircraft.  The video's producer has others available on Youtube
Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1252 on: February 03, 2011, 04:31:32 PM »
I got an e-mail yesterday about an aircraft restoration of a FW 190 that was shot down in Russia in 1943. An outfit in Casa Grande, Az restored the plane for a private collector. I think that this maybe the only flying FW 190 in North America, maybe the World.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1253 on: February 03, 2011, 04:40:06 PM »
It took flight on Dec. 1, 2010. Pictures on AOPA photo gallery.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1254 on: February 03, 2011, 06:40:14 PM »
VERY cool!  And an original engine, too!

SOMEBODY has real deep pockets!

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #1255 on: February 03, 2011, 09:00:24 PM »
Check this out, sounds real sweet

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h57cjPAmtF8&feature=player_embedded#[/youtube]
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1256 on: February 03, 2011, 11:51:58 PM »
He would got farther down the taxi way if he'd would pulled the chock blocks ::)

Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1257 on: February 04, 2011, 08:36:49 AM »
Someone brings a Sea Fury out to the CAF AirSho once in a while. They fold up the wings on the way back from a flight. They always have several types of Naval aircraft and they always have them fold the wings up while they are taxiing back to the flight line.

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
« Reply #1258 on: February 06, 2011, 07:17:31 AM »
Heeeere's Chuckie!  ;D

If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1259 on: February 06, 2011, 07:37:21 AM »
from the group W bench
Mathew 5.9

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk