Author Topic: Aircraft  (Read 774613 times)

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Aircraft
« Reply #660 on: August 11, 2009, 03:56:02 PM »
Carb adjustments, I remember puttin ma hand on the steerin wheel and callin it good when it had the least vibration.  It always seemed ta work.  But of course you always made sure ta have good plugs, wires an cap bafore even messin with the thing.  We cleaned the cap with a pencil eraser an it worked just fine.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #661 on: August 11, 2009, 04:35:56 PM »
just think if ya'd a had to adjust that first Harley carb,  now how big does that hole need to be in that can. ;)
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #662 on: August 11, 2009, 04:37:07 PM »
Fat lady’s daddy used ta pulled the ‘by ear’ crap. He’d botch it up. She’d be bitchin’ the thing wouldn’t run smooth past 30. I’d go ta Whitt’s, get the specs ‘n set it with a light. Fortunately he never messed with the carburetor.

Don’t think he liked it when I, at 18, asked ‘im not ta mess with it anymore.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Advertising

« Reply #663 on: Today at 02:01:55 AM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #663 on: August 11, 2009, 04:42:40 PM »
Yep, Especially if you are dating his little girl.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #664 on: August 11, 2009, 04:52:52 PM »
Man I used to love to fool with that tunin, the first year of college, I  loved to street race,  I'd be out there in the parkin lot of the dorm, with my light and dwell meter,  might even go sa far as to pull the valve covers and adjust the solid lifters, depended on how serious I thought it might be that night.  Had a real high lift cam in my 396 Chevelle,  that thing would just rumble through them drive in's,  just lopeing through, sound like it was gonna die, then spin the tires just a little when it caught back up.
had to ride that clutch out, start at about 3000 rpm and keep feathering the gas till it caught hold. ;D  still remmeber that feelin

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #665 on: August 11, 2009, 05:01:17 PM »
OT, THose things could really put you back in your seat when you hit the gas.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #666 on: August 11, 2009, 05:05:52 PM »
just think if ya'd a had to adjust that first Harley carb,  now how big does that hole need to be in that can. ;)

First Harley carb was a brass body Linkert.  It was probably the best one they ever had.  

As far as tuning by ear being crap... well I guess ya just got ta know.  That police Guzzi I ran had a twin carb set up an ya just got the feel fer them after awhile.  Del Orto's they was.  Square slide throat.  Had ta get em both ta open an close evenly an then play with yer mixture.  But like I said, didn't screw with any of that until everything else was checked out an fit ta fight.  And yes, a timing light is one handy tool that have used many times.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #667 on: August 11, 2009, 05:20:19 PM »
ya always hear about that first Harley Carb being a tomato can,   ;D

http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question40859.html

It sure could put ya back in yer seat, 4 speed muncie had a set of them cheater slicks mounted on some other wheels just in case.   ;D   was a whole lot of fun.  course it was a wonder I didn't end up in Jail,  but I sure enjoyed them days.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #668 on: August 11, 2009, 05:27:22 PM »
Yeah, we had some neat toys to play with back then...........Buck ::) 8)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #669 on: August 11, 2009, 05:48:30 PM »
and you know Buck,  we always did all we did outside, no electronic games, no sitting down to watch TV.   I remember a few years later the first game came along,  PONG,  man we thought what a game.  ;D

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #670 on: August 11, 2009, 06:48:15 PM »
Gas and parts were a lot cheaper then, and we were all younger.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #671 on: August 11, 2009, 06:51:32 PM »
Stopped doing my own tune-ups when I sold the last car with capacitive-discharge ignition, twin SU carbs, and Lucas electrics.

Just got too complicated after that.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #672 on: August 11, 2009, 07:00:35 PM »
Stopped doing my own tune-ups when I sold the last car with capacitive-discharge ignition, twin SU carbs, and Lucas electrics.

Just got too complicated after that.

That's Lucifer electircs, Lucifer the Prince of Darkness. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #673 on: August 12, 2009, 01:10:59 AM »
The last car that I worked on of mine was a 77 Mustang 2 with the German V6. I had to buy metric wrenches and sockets to work on it.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #674 on: August 12, 2009, 06:36:07 AM »
That Mustang had a 4 speed and the Moose hated it.  You only have to mention the word Mustang and she gets mad.  I was trying to buy an older model Chevrolet a few years ago. I was gonna have to pick it up out of town. She was all for it till I told her it had a 4 speed. Well, she vetoed my project.

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #675 on: September 12, 2009, 07:11:37 PM »
this seemed interesting

WWII B17 Flight Log.     

http://downloads.hyperscale.com/guides/B17log.pdf

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #676 on: September 12, 2009, 07:19:33 PM »
It won't open for me OT.  I really want to see it.

HELP!

Roland Deschain

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #677 on: September 12, 2009, 07:26:17 PM »
You gotta squint your left eye, stand on your right foot while holding your left foot in front of you, spin in a circle clockwise, and swing a live chicken around your head while baying at the moon.    ::)

THEN you can see all sorts of things.    ;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #678 on: September 12, 2009, 07:46:09 PM »
I don't have live chickens so I guess I'm screwed.

There is a very off chance that I might recognize a name on that log, but stranger things have happened.

Roland Deschain

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #679 on: September 12, 2009, 08:10:37 PM »
leo here's where I originally got it from,  I thought you might like to go over there, some of the guys are talkin about their relatives who flew in B 17's

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66190

you may have to sign in to get here, but it's a good safe site.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com