Author Topic: Aircraft  (Read 774529 times)

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Aircraft
« Reply #580 on: July 12, 2009, 03:33:45 PM »
One of the pictures I missed gettin at the show was a 27 cylinder radial.  They said they would fire it up later in the day.  We left bafore they did but I can tell you that thing was HUGE.  They didn't even have a prop on the shaft cause it woulda blown folks over.  Sorry I missed it, ta hear that motor run with no drag on it had to beat all.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #581 on: July 12, 2009, 03:37:57 PM »
Here's another that was there.  Gonna save the real fun stuff fer the end, turrets an such.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #582 on: July 12, 2009, 04:21:08 PM »
Okay,

Here is another picture from an earlier era ... taken at Enid AAFB in 1943 and sent to my Mother....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #583 on: Today at 07:39:35 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #583 on: July 12, 2009, 05:02:08 PM »
Leo, That last picture that you posted showing those trainers, they are the same type used by the Tora Tora Tora Boys to create their Val and Kate Replica.  The T 28 was also refered to as the Trojan. A  lot if them wound up as trainers for the South Vietnamese AF.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #584 on: July 12, 2009, 05:40:04 PM »
Leo, That last picture that you posted showing those trainers, they are the same type used by the Tora Tora Tora Boys to create their Val and Kate Replica.  The T 28 was also refered to as the Trojan. A  lot if them wound up as trainers for the South Vietnamese AF.

the Thai Air Force also.........got a pic somes where of my dad taxi'n one the canopy open at Moody or Tyndal(sp?)
Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #585 on: July 12, 2009, 06:37:52 PM »
I think the CAF may have acquired one or two of the T 28s, and a Oscar Duece Cessna.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #586 on: July 12, 2009, 09:36:52 PM »
Okay,

Here is another picture from an earlier era ... taken at Enid AAFB in 1943 and sent to my Mother....
Great picture, pard. Is that yer father?

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #587 on: July 13, 2009, 08:45:23 AM »
Yep,

He was the oldest officer in his OTS class ... entered at 25 & 9 mo. ... I am guessing that this picture was taken when he was in his early 30s ... at Enid Army Air Force Base in Enid Oklahoma in 1943.

Here is his graduation photo ... I know he would be proud to have someone besides his family value both pictures.

He is flying with the angels now ... and never has to worry again about fuel quantities, flap setting or manifold temperatures.....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #588 on: July 13, 2009, 12:43:12 PM »
Mighty nice pics, boys. Enjoyed lookin’.

Wish I’d taken pics of the old planes the Navy flyin’ club had. They had one painted up like a Zero. We thought it was but I guess it weren’t.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #589 on: July 13, 2009, 02:49:18 PM »
More ta come, been busy.  Glad ta have ya in the bunch here Ellis.

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #590 on: July 13, 2009, 03:26:08 PM »
Leo, We'll be watchin' for them!

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #591 on: July 13, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
Here's a good one.

Roland Deschain

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #592 on: July 13, 2009, 05:26:16 PM »
Couldn't resist goin with this one next.  Lil was amazed amazed when she saw the gunner's station up close.  You wouldn't think anyone could fit in there.

Roland Deschain

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #593 on: July 13, 2009, 06:35:15 PM »
Is that green & yellow thing a Vultee trainer???? The last plane shown was a TBF or TBM torpedo bomber, TBF if made by Grumman and TBM if made by General Motors. Those two trainers were an AT-6( silver) and an SNJ( blue), same plane just different designations between Army and Navy.............Buck ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #594 on: July 13, 2009, 06:59:55 PM »
The last plane shown was a TBF or TBM torpedo bomber, TBF if made by Grumman and TBM if made by General Motors. Those two trainers were an AT-6( silver) and an SNJ( blue), same plane just different designations between Army and Navy.............Buck ::)

Them sumbucks is HUGE for a single engine bird!  Like the ADs is HUGE!!!
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #595 on: July 13, 2009, 08:21:17 PM »
I believe that at the time, they were the largest carrier based planes flown. Bush I was a pilot of one of those.........Buck ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #596 on: July 13, 2009, 09:35:29 PM »
I knew this would be fun.  I have fuller shot of this one but will put this up first.

Roland Deschain

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #597 on: July 13, 2009, 11:18:02 PM »
Here's the helicopters in my cousin's hangar.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #598 on: July 14, 2009, 08:02:46 AM »
Slim, It looks like he's got a bunch of Helos. I see what appears to be an ultra-lite parked next to the pickup camper.

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #599 on: July 14, 2009, 08:48:25 PM »
Slim, It looks like he's got a bunch of Helos. I see what appears to be an ultra-lite parked next to the pickup camper.
Here's a closer picture.

Slim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com