Author Topic: 45/90 brass length  (Read 4725 times)

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
45/90 brass length
« on: April 27, 2014, 09:51:42 AM »
I've been using buffalo arms 45/90 stretch brass in my rifle for several years, I have been using the same batch for that time. I
made a mistake by not shooting all of them and reloading all. I now have varying lengths from 2.390 - 2.395. I really want
to retire all this brass but I have had new brass on backorder for 6 months with no arrival date. I really hate to change brass
as I have a load that works well and sight settings from 50 - 1000yds. So my question is, should I trim this all to the
shorter length or just use it the way it is. I am just using a light crimp but I'm afraid with the different length brass
it will affect my consistency. The easy answer is for Remington to make some 45/70 brass and ship it to Buffalo arms, but
I have no idea when that will happen. Thanks

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: 45/90 brass length
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 11:28:08 AM »
 ;) Don't try to fix something that ain't broke. :D
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 01:11:48 AM »
Do as Ranch 13 says. It's not broke, so it doesn't need fixing...  ;D

Bill

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:19:49 PM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 12:14:05 PM »
.005" isn't going to make much difference unless the difference in the amount of crimp is really affecting accuracy. In that case, trim back to 1.390" and adjust your seat/crimp die accordingly. Chances are, unless you are shooting 1000 yd. matches, the difference in consistancy with the .005" variation will be less than you can hold.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 04:40:31 PM »
Thanks guys,I will keep on using it the way it is, I have a buffalo shoot in 2 weeks and that is all under 300 yds.
so my brass will be fine for that. I'm thinking about going to Raton this fall and shooting the midrange, so
I've been wanting to practice at 600 yds and was really wanting to get everything fine tuned.

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 04:47:51 PM »
You might call Captec and ask them when they're going to do another run of 45-90 brass.
If you're thinking of heading for Raton, might as well take the whole thing in, it's a heck of a match, and if you shoot all the midrange and the Creedmoor you are in the run for the Iron man trophy. Plus the creedmoor is only 2 more days of shooting immediately after the 4 of midrange. :)
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Kinchafoonee Kid

• Kinchafoonee Kid
  • NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 07:44:09 PM »
Hey, Billy, if you are shooting paper patch, I'd recommend you try ordering from Rocky Mountain brass.  Measure your loaded pp round, and use it as the starting point.  A bit pricy, but the thick wall brass will last a very long time.  I ordered 100 cases back in 2007 and they are still going strong.  I just neck size mine.  I can send you my load and particulars if you are interested.

I hope to camp next to you again in the Originals camp at the NCOWS nationals if you can make it,

Matt (Josiah Swain)
Kinchafoonee Kid
SSAS 94231

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 07:45:33 PM »
I got a call Friday from buffalo arms and they finally got some 45/70 brass from Remington and will be stretching
it and shipping it this week!!!!

BTB
Born 110 years too late

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com