Author Topic: Spring Buffalo shoot  (Read 20318 times)

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Spring Buffalo shoot
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2008, 09:35:30 AM »
  No need to disable your ejector !

As Will said ejectors are NCOWS legal on shotguns, This match is not being run under strict NCOWS rules.
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 11:07:14 AM »
  Food will be available on site by Gwen & Josh Hoy of the Flying W Ranch. I would urge participants to take advantage of the service. Breakfast will be $5, Lunches $6, and dinners $10.  Here is the menu:

Breakfast both days;  Bisquits & Gravy
   Lunches Sat; Chilie with the trimmings & Cookies
               Sun; Sloppy Joe's W/ trimmings, Baked Beans, Cookies
   Dinners; Fri; Hamburgers, BBQ beans Choc. Cake
               Sat; Brisket, Cole slaw, Potatoes, Cobbler
               Lemonade, Tea, Coffee $1 w/ free refills

Remember we will onty accept 60 entries, Don't be late!
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 04:58:02 PM »
The H&R is very similar to a rifle built by the W.H. Davenport company (circa 1865-1902). They primaily built single shot shotguns but did spread out into a few doubles and some single shot rifles. Their single shot shotguns were equipped with an ejector. Most of their single shot rifles were a falling block design. They also sold a full length rifled barrel insert so that one could shoot rifle cartridges through their shotguns. This effectively made their singlshot shotguns into a single shot break action rifle with an ejector.

Jerry......
Do you have a photo of one of the Davenport rifles made prior to 1900 that we can compare the H&R to? I'd like to see the comparison before we jump the gun and say this rifle is PC.

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:43:40 AM »

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 05:06:02 PM »
Here's what I have found on the web about Davenport firearms, it makes no mention of rifles or shotguns made prior to 1890.

Bill

William H. Davenport formed the W.H. Davenport Fire Arms Co., located in Norwich, Connecticut, circa 1890. His company manufactured single- and double-barrel shotguns and single-shot rifles, but the shotguns have not enjoyed much collector interest to date. Values are determined on shootability, with most average-condition single-shots selling in the $50 to $125 range and $75 to $250 range for side-by-side models. These same values will also apply to the Blue Ribbon Gun Co. shotgun, which was probably a private label for another company--very common at the time for utilitarian shotguns like this.
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 07:18:47 AM »
Jerry......
Do you have a photo of one of the Davenport rifles made prior to 1900 that we can compare the H&R to? I'd like to see the comparison before we jump the gun and say this rifle is PC.

Bill

Somewhere.... I have a Davenport catalog, but I'll have to find it and scan the photos. Or I could take a photo of my Davenport Brownie, but the .22's weren't really what I was talking about in my earlier comment.

Their single shot shotguns were equipped with an ejector. They also sold a full length rifled barrel insert so that one could shoot rifle cartridges through their shotguns. This effectively made their singlshot shotguns into a single shot break action rifle with an ejector.
If you want a picture of their shotgun I can take a picture of one of mine, but the barrel insert is something else entirely...they were like hen's teeth. (And if any of you ever stumble onto a barrel insert marked Davenport I do have a home for it.)
The earliest Davenport in my collection is an 1885, though Davenport was producing shotguns at least as early as the 1860's (my dad has a percussion double 12 dated in the 60's) Hopkins and Allan (sp?) bought them out in 1902 and continued making the davenport models for quite sometime but marking them Hopkins and Allan. If you've ever seen a Hopkins and Allan single shot shotgun, that's what a Davenport looks like.

I'm not suggesting that NCOWS approve the H&R or that it is exactly like a Davenport. All my comment was, that some of the single shot shotguns of the period had ejectors and that with the barrel inserts that some companies made, it effectively turned their singlshot shotguns into a single shot break action rifle with an ejector.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 09:15:55 AM »
   Entry forms have started to come in. Remember there is a limited # of entries (60) so don't wait too long, also after 4/11 the cost goes up $5. There are going to be over $500 worth of "door prizes" to be given away so you'll probably get back much of your entry fee in a nice prize.
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2009, 11:50:33 AM »
  Send those entries in NOW. Remember, if postmarked after 4-11 it will cost you an extra $5
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2009, 10:32:09 AM »
  I would like to recognize Hodgdon Powder Co. For giving us a great deal on their products for door prizes. Every participant will receive a door prize. Also Dr. Bob for acting as the agent between us and Hodgdon.
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2009, 01:35:56 PM »
 Even if you did not pre-register, you can still come and register the day of the shoot. If you need directions to the buffalo range, PM me.    jt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 10:50:23 AM »
  There has been a change in the food provider. they ask that you bring a cup !
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline HorsePen Henry

• Horse Pen Henry aka M.T. Hulls
  • Top Active Citizen
  • My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys...and Indians.
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2009, 08:39:27 PM »
Alright guys, lets hear all about the great time we missed. My buggy quit on me or I'd a been there.
Who won what etc...?
Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2009, 08:37:43 AM »
  We had a great shoot. A little breeze but everyone had to deal with it. I will post details , maybe tomorrow.
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2009, 11:17:44 AM »
  The first flint Hills buffalo shoot was a success! We had the normal spring breeze of sustained winds of 30-35 gusting to 45 mph.
 The only time it was really irritating was when you were trying to sleep in a tent. But it didn't rain until all camps were struck. Shooting was a little challenging but the same for everyone. I really didn't notice the drift until out past 150 yds. There were 16 buffalo that had to be knocked down. A bucket (think Quigly), a man target and 2 other buffalo. these ranged 150- 250 yds (estimate)These last 4 were shot 6 times each and only needed to be hit. The 22 match consisted of 20  3"x 6" buffalo at 35-45 yds. Everyone went home with a door prize of their choice, which ranged from a nice selection of powders: black, sub-black or smokeless; blanket gun covers, cross sticks and even a hand made knife. The first 5 places in each division were: (We had 30 shooters).
  Smokeless
1st   Dennis Ryan (Croaker)
2nd  Brian Zelfden (Woody)
3rd  Don Moxey
4th  Wes Lumry
5th  Randy Hardey

Black Powder
1st  Jim Frey
2nd  Ron Sayre
3rd  John Torrence
4th  Rob Brannon
5th  Steven Powers

22 Match
1st  John Torrence
2nd  Dean Holloway
3rd  Ron Sayre
4th  Jim Frey
5th  Wes Lumry

NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com