Author Topic: 3:10 to Yuma Review  (Read 6835 times)

Offline Mulee Pete

• MuleePete,phd
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
3:10 to Yuma Review
« on: February 11, 2008, 08:38:14 PM »
Did anybody else find the remake as lame as I did?  I kept hoping it would redeem itself, but it was just terrible.
Saddler Sargeant GAF Department of the Platte, #521
SCORRS
CBQD #1
SASS Life #34368
USN Life (Ret.)

Keep track of your lustrums!

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 3:10 to Yuma Review
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 09:27:33 PM »
I never understood why the bad guy (BG) wouldn't have just gone limp and not run along with the good guy (GG)  toward the train. That part seemed dumb to me. However, I checked out the original 3:10 To Yuma from the library and watched it. It was worse. The new movie is much better and develops the treachery of the BG much better which builds tension. Somehow seeing Glen Ford as a bad guy in the original movie just didn't convince me. The original GG (Van Heflin) was as good as or more convincing than the modern GG. The newer version with the detour through Injun country was added and the night time shooting was real. There's just now way (at the end) that a fellow with that many holes in him could even live long enough to even give a wink to anyone. I was still very entertained by the newer version which is superior to the original.
Hey, there was more than enough to conjure up a couple of shooting stages outa the film.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline The General

• CSA GAF-524 SCORRS NCOWS SBSS ROB
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Southern Gentleman
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 10:30:28 PM »
I thought the scene with the Chinese RR workers where the bad guys started chasing them & that Sheriff's badge kept changing sides was real funny!  There were some good shooting scenes but for the most part, I thought it was a pretty slow film.  I don't believe I ever saw the original.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you".

"You may be whatever you resolve to be". - General "Stonewall" Jackson
"Our God was my shield.  His protecting care is an additional cause for gratitude". - General "Stonewall" Jackson

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:14:59 AM »

Offline sundance44`s

• SASS# 61233 and Alamo Kat SASS 79338 , ColdwaterLongRifles , HatchieRunLongRifles .NRA.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 05:57:43 AM »
Slow and dull for me ..I want a good western again  :'(
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 06:14:22 AM »
Man you guys are tough. 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline sundance44`s

• SASS# 61233 and Alamo Kat SASS 79338 , ColdwaterLongRifles , HatchieRunLongRifles .NRA.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 08:24:42 AM »
Just getting grumpy and expecting more maybe ...But the wife made popcorn and it was good ..as always !  ;D
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Keep your pants and your powder dry.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 07:38:58 PM »
Hellgate from what I understand in real life the Youngers got shot to pieces in Northfield and survived.  Perhaps it was not totally off.  I agree tough crowd.  Atleast Hollyweird made another western.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 07:53:50 PM »
For better or for worse, it was the best western made in 2007.  Let's hope they make at least one in 2008.

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 05:57:23 AM »
I thought the scene with the Chinese RR workers where the bad guys started chasing them & that Sheriff's badge kept changing sides was real funny!  There were some good shooting scenes but for the most part, I thought it was a pretty slow film.  I don't believe I ever saw the original.
The orig.is even slower...it's not an action film,either one of them.
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Offline The General

• CSA GAF-524 SCORRS NCOWS SBSS ROB
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Southern Gentleman
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 10:59:48 AM »
I saw the film as a story of the young pioneer attempting to compensate for his lack of honor as a soldier & trying to regain that honor by taking on this task.  An action film?  No, not by any sense of the word however, as I stated in an earlier post; it did have some fine shooting scenes.

A film critic I am not, JMHO.  I am more into the CW films personally.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you".

"You may be whatever you resolve to be". - General "Stonewall" Jackson
"Our God was my shield.  His protecting care is an additional cause for gratitude". - General "Stonewall" Jackson

Offline Skinny Preacher 66418

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 05:03:10 PM »
It was better than Jackass part II....

I like ANY western that makes it to the Silverscreen...but don't really care to see it again  :-\

Smoke em if ya got em.

Offline HappyTrigger

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 10:17:41 PM »
Many critics say, and I agree, that the remake was better than the original, which was REALLY dull. It was meant to be a movie about personalities and characters, not action and shoot-um-up. There was not too much opportunity to examine guns in the movie. Did anyone spot anything in particular?

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 11:22:47 AM »
Howdy!

I enjoyed it.  I had seen PART of the original (yawn) and then saw that the Western Channel was running the original a week after I saw the new version, so I DVR'ed (is that REALLY a verb?  ::) ) it and watched it all the way.  It was a little better the second time.

It is, IMHO, NOT a shoot-em-up, like several have mentioned, but a story of people.

I was entertained by the new film.  The historical details weren't bad - considering the source.  The REAL bad guy (not Crowe) was REALLY bad, and even 'tho his outfit wasn't particularly accurate - except for Hollyweird - it was a cool get-up.  And he sure looked like he'd practicing his gun handling - as had Crowe.  Of Course, R.Crowe had done some handling in that other GREAT (  ::) ) movie, "The Quick" etc. with Sharon Stone.

Hey - I'm easily entertained!  At least there are a FEW Westerns still being made.

Anyone seen the James flick with Brad Pit, yet? 
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 101
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 12:28:10 PM »
    I watched the original 3:10 to YUma this summer, slow, and didn't buy Glen Ford as the villian.  The remake was a better film in my opinion, but I do have a fondness for Vinessa Shaw (the prostitute).   Overall, I think it was a decent film and Crowe did a good job.   Thought they sort of messed up with the sprint to the train, bale having only one leg and all.   Character wise Crowe knew he had amassed a gang of scum and him helping the farmer get him to the train would be a redemtion for them both. 
    I just saw Pitt's Jesse James movie this weekend.  Long, slow, well acted, long, short on action, slow, great character study, long, afflect not only looked like Ford but nailed the part, slow.   Did I mention the movie was long and slow?  2:40 minutes is a long movie, for a moment I kept expecting Kevin Costner to appear.   Frank James carries a 75 remmington.    I never could stand Ben Afflect and other than Hollywoodland, never thought he could act.  By default, a thought the same of the brother.    He and Pitt both do a great job, but the movie is a little long and slow.   Part of the James film problem was I watched Silverado the same day.  I know the lines to Silverado by heart and James suffered in comparison.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 06:26:46 AM »
Hey - I'm easily entertained!  At least there are a FEW Westerns still being made.

Jeff,  Its not that you are so easily entertained it is that you appreciate the effort that goes into making a western in Hollywood for big screen distribution. 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 08:31:59 AM »
Yep.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline 65bsaA65

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 02:52:26 PM »
Way too short on believeability (what they call "suspension of disbelief").  I like both Crowe and Bales as action actors; they shoulda had a better script.  It's been 10,000 years since I saw the original; didn't Lee Van Cleef have a part in that?

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 06:01:23 PM »
If Lee was in it, it was a tiny part and I didn't notice him in the original.

One thing about the script:  because I was able to see both movies within a few days of each other - and I saw each one 3 times - they had some of the dialog word-for-word the same in the new one as it was in the old!  Word-for-word!  Not ALL of it, by any means, but quite a bit.

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 01:50:50 AM »
Howdy!

I enjoyed it.  I had seen PART of the original (yawn) and then saw that the Western Channel was running the original a week after I saw the new version, so I DVR'ed it and watched it all the way.  It was a little better the second time.

It is, IMHO, NOT a shoot-em-up, like several have mentioned, but a story of people.

I was entertained.  The historical details weren't bad - considering the source.  The REAL bad guy (not Crowe) was REALLY bad, and even 'tho his outfit wasn't particularly accurate - except for Hollyweird - it was a cool get-up.  And he sure looked like he'd practicing his gun handling - as had Crowe.  Of Course, R.Crowe had done some handling in that other GREAT (  ::) ) movie, "The Quick" etc. with Sharon Stone.

Anyone seen the James flick with Brad Pit, yet? 
The Western Channel is running the original again this week but real late...3 or 4am....never did like that film.
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 06:37:13 AM »
I saw the brad pitt 'Jesse James' ,,,abomination.
Rates in the top 2 of the worst movies I ever saw, and my mind wont recollect #1worst.

But,,to give pitt the actor credit,,it was Ford that ruined the movie for me. That,,and all the 'fear and guilt' expressions on EVERYONES face anytime JJ was around. A priest dont see that much guilt on human faces in his life.

3:10 to Yuma I really enjoyed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com