Author Topic: Got my first can of real black powder  (Read 9458 times)

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Got my first can of real black powder
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 01:05:50 PM »
I at one time had a large number of the red colored plastic cap tins.
I had also found a number of the hard rubber tins from the time period. (These don't normally survive today unless they are within a presentation case)
Removing the paper label, I would spray paint the plastic with a flat black and then coat that with a clear satin finish poly. (I do this with the actual "tin" cap containers as well to make them look more period correct)
Should the inside plastic cans still be a bit more red than you may like, darken it with some brown leather dye.
Just a suggestion on my part, but it makes up for a nice display.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2017, 11:58:19 PM »
Howdy

I used to use a lot of Elephant brand powder. Only have one can left, with just a little bit rattling around at the bottom of the can. You can see by the date stamp that this can was made in May of 2001. Don't really remember if it fouled any worse than Goex. No, I ain't giving it away, it is part of my BP can collection.  ;D

That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2017, 05:51:06 AM »
Howdy

I used to use a lot of Elephant brand powder. Only have one can left, with just a little bit rattling around at the bottom of the can. You can see by the date stamp that this can was made in May of 2001. Don't really remember if it fouled any worse than Goex. No, I ain't giving it away, it is part of my BP can collection.  ;D

Kinda funny you say BP can collection...I didn't think collection at the time....I had coupla different Goex cans,  an old DuPont can
I also had a old keg Hazzard Powder ( was movie prop ) empty of course.
The Elephant can has powder in it so it was stored elsewhere.... my Barn fire in 2011 took the cans mentioned above.
So aside from KIK plastic & the Elephant can no "collection "   

Maybe I should , look to starting one  :-\
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:36:14 AM »

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2017, 07:21:41 PM »
Meteor was made by Curtis & Harvey. As I recall it was way slower than Dupont, but the fouling tended to stay soft. Elephant is pretty slow too. In my Merrill carbine, 45 gr. of Elephant FF went through the chrono at 708 fps. 33 gr. of Dupont FFF went 765, which is about what Swiss FFF does today.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com