Author Topic: El Tigre M92  (Read 21895 times)

Offline Russell40

• Ten Killer
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
El Tigre M92
« on: January 18, 2012, 02:48:11 PM »
Have any of you had any experience with the 1892 Model (copy) El Tigre rifle? I've seen them around and I know that they were built in Spain before WWII.
Retired Texas LEO
NRA Life
U.S.Army Veteran
OEF/OIF Veteran

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: El Tigre M92
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 10:23:34 PM »
I handled one years ago at a gun show.  Pretty decent rifle
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Russell40

• Ten Killer
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 11:42:04 PM »
I think I'll pick one up. They are "vintage" in some respects. I've seem them for years but just never gave them a chance.
Retired Texas LEO
NRA Life
U.S.Army Veteran
OEF/OIF Veteran

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:00:47 AM »

Offline petrinal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 03:40:20 PM »
these rifles were good guns, well made firearms, intended mainly for sale in SPAIN and in the many latin american countries.

a short story could be as follows:

unlike what many people think, they were initially made under WINCHESTER PATENT, paying royalties, by GARATE, ANITUA y COMPAÑIA (GAC) from 1919 onward. Winchester sold them, according to some authors, a patent for only 5 years, to make the Carbine version of the W92.

As the company feared that Winchester would not grant another license to make this rifles after 1919, they decided to develop "a their  version", which was just the same rifle, but with  sligth diferences : in sights, with a dovetail in the barrel,  a  slightly longer overall longitude, and thicker barrel too, and a slide cover in the stock, for a cleaning device.....changes big enough, according to the very special spanish patent laws of the time, to avoid a demand by Winchester.

they were made from 1919 until 1936, and those from 1924 onward are bank proofed,  and from 1927 on they have an alphanumeric code,  and the ones from 1931 until the end have republican bank proof stampings.

these guns were adopted by the GUARDIA CIVIL, for scorting trains. They were also popular for hunting and were also used by gamekeeper until the 1980´s.

they saw a lot of use in the SPANISH CIVIL WAR, specially in the REPUBLICAN ARMY,  as many pictures of the time show. This is the president of the spanish Republican government,  FRANCISCO LARGO CABALLERO, in plain Spanish Civil War, visiting the war front, and holding a TIGRE :

These guns were well made, and the proof is that they saw a lot of use and are still around...i have examined one recently, and manufacturing, fitting, and finish was up to winchester standards.....rust and heat blueing and forged frame and internal parts.
i have seen several rechambered for 44 magnum, not very safe, but they work.

i prefer a TIGRE in good condition, forged and rust blued, with a lot of history behind, either in SPAIN or in Central America,  to a laser cut and CNC machined italian ARMI CHIAPPA .

the 44/40 cartridge was known in SPAIN as  44 largo. It is interesting that they are increasing in price if well preserved, but many saw a lot of of use, specially in LATIN AMERICA, but still work....

in general spanish guns have allways being labelled as poor copies of the originals, but several makers were the exception...ORBEA, GARATE, TROCAOLA, CHARITOLA and ANITUA, EL CASCO, RUBY, making guns as good as the originals, or almost as good. In general these spanish fine copies are increasing in value, specially in GERMANY.

all the best

Offline johns44

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 10:00:01 AM »
I got one about 10 years ago , its a well made great shooting rifle.as good if not better than my 92 winchester

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 12:47:51 AM »
I believe Chuck Conners used one :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Roshi

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 01:33:20 PM »
When I was 14 in 1961 you could buy them mail order from Ye Olde Hunter for $ 38.95 plus shipping.  I found one in a local sporting goods store for $ 20 and got my father to buy it for me.  It was the first lever action I ever stripped completely.  I had to, it was filled with old cosmoline.  Sweet handling rifle although back then finding a box of .44-40 ammo wasn't that easy.  The firing pin broke in two from too much dry firing but I found a replacement.  The bluing was very pretty although the wood wasn't much to look at.  I sold it in 1975 for $ 100 and have regretted it ever since.  Even the Browning 92 in .44 Mag that I got in the 90's didn't have the attraction of the old Tiger.  Thanks for bringing back some pleasant memoroes of my youth  ;D

Offline Palatine Tom

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 05:41:44 AM »
Dear all,

i can get my hands on two El Tigre (44-40) in shooting but used condition.

What could be a fair price for both seller and buyer?

regards

BigBuck
Do unto others as they would
do unto you, but do it first." Amen

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 11:55:41 AM »
1958 1965 about half of my fraternity brothers had El Tigres, as far as I know all but two converted to .357.

Generally good guns with very few issues.  All were used / worn, but all were functional.....and they were CHEAP!
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 02:11:20 PM »
Check the gun auction i saw one go for 700.00
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Palatine Tom

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 07:52:22 AM »
Dear all,

I am pretty happy with my El Tigre. It shoots very well on 50 yards with factory 44-40 Cowboy Action Looads (200 grain lead ball)

Next i will make own loads with Trailboss and with BP of course as well.

Can anybody tell me the correct age of the El Tigre?  Serial is A215XX

It looks like that an old caliber stampt has been stamped over with 44-40

greetings

Tom
Do unto others as they would
do unto you, but do it first." Amen

Offline 69JUDGE

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 08:24:00 AM »
HI
 I HAVE A ODD EL TIGRE
1. THE BARREL IS 20 INCHES
2. THERE ARE NO MARKS ON THE RECEIVER SIDES  THE END IS STAMPED 12
 MARKS ARE ON THE TOP TANG OF IT AND THEY HAVE RIGHT EL TIGRE MARKS.
3. THE BARREL IS MARKED WITH P. V. WITH 44 L  AN X WITH ANOTHER SYMBOL IN A CROWN SHAPE THE SAME MARKS IS HAVE SEEN ON OTHER EL TIGRE RIFLES. THE BOTTOM
OF THE BARREL HAS 562 STAMPED IN IT AND THE NUMBER 12 THERE IS NO OTHER MARKS ON IT.
4. THE MAGAZINE IS 19 1/4 INCHES
 5. THE BARREL LOOKS LIKE IT WAS NEVER SHORTEND
5 THE STOCK IS ONE THAT DOESNT HAVE THE TRAPDOOR IN IT AND I MARKED INSIDE WITH THE 12 AND SO IS THE FOREARM
6. THE STOCK IT CRACKED AND TRIED TO REPAIR SO I THINK IT IS ORGINAL STOCK OR WHY WOULDNT THEY REPLACED BY A GOOD ONE

I  UNDERSTAND THE IT COULD HAVE A REPLACEMENT WINNCHESTOR 20" BARREL BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT
THEY ARE MARKED LIKE.

LET ME KNOW IF SOMEONE CAN HELP. TRY TO SEND PICTURES LATER

MARV

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 10:57:34 PM »
I have a bolt, hammer, lever for aTiger m92 if any one need parts. Bolt is complete.
Buffalochip

Offline lokman

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 10:01:52 PM »
i am a new member with a el tigre that needs a bolt. every thing else seems to be there. the cal. is 44l (44-40). i noticed MIKE has one for sale and i would like to know how to get in touch with him. any help pointing me in his direction would help alot. or a parts source were i could possibly find it. Also any info on winchester compatibilty would be helpful. i can do basic file fitting so unless there is a major design or head space difference, i thought a win. bolt might be an option.   

Offline Trooper Hook

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 12:18:20 PM »
Lokman ,to contact anyone on here just look in the  left side of their post under their name . You will see an envelope  icon to click to email them or select the PM icon to send them a private message offline.

Offline AWFUL CLOSE

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 08:58:49 PM »
Whenever a rifle was to be dropped on The Rifleman Show, it was always the El Tigre. The 2 model 92's were never abused.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 11:13:50 PM »
Lokman
PM I might be able to help, i am sure it was a 44 bolt.
Buffalochip

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 08:08:32 PM »
I believe Chuck Conners used one :)

He did. One of his Rifleman guns was one.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com