Author Topic: My Conversions  (Read 11131 times)

Offline Rifled Slug

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
My Conversions
« on: March 18, 2004, 07:35:54 AM »

These are a pair of 49' conversions I did using the Anvil Plans .

Well it didn't work  :(

Big Hext Finnigan

Re: My Conversions
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 08:30:10 AM »
Make sure your pictures are sized down so they will be accepted by the software.

Good luck!

Offline Rifled Slug

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 10:52:06 AM »
Well I sized my picture down to 400 X 300 pixels it is 64.1KB . The Marshal posted a how to post a picture with 2 ways to make it happed but neither seems to work for me . I'm not much of a puter person . :-[

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:02:35 AM »

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 11:03:24 AM »

Howdy!

I saw that you put in the address from your local harddrive. Since the picture is on your computer, you need to use the attachtment option. That'll work just fine.
Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 11:33:10 AM »
Hope you don' mind if I highjack yer thread....I'm not very 'puter literate and would like to try my hand putting up a picture too.

BTW, Keep trying to post yer conversion pics! I Luv Conversions of all kinds! They fascinate me to no end! :)

Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Rifled Slug

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 01:45:18 PM »
Here we go again . Well I be darned it finally got there . ;D

Offline Rifled Slug

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 01:52:57 PM »
The other time I tried to put the picture in I did the preview first and it wouldn't do it . This time I just posted it and all is well . The picture is a little fuzzy but its a picture . ;D

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 02:01:49 PM »
HEEEE HAAAWWW Those are way cool!  8)

Where can one find the Anvil conversion instructions? And how difficult was it to do?
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 02:08:30 PM »
Congrats on the pictures and the guns...very cool.

Offline Rifled Slug

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004, 02:32:29 PM »
Here is their web site http://www.anvilenterprises.com/
Its not to difficult if you have access to a lathe and a mill . They say it can be done with hand tools and a drill press which it can but that is a real hard way to go . The plans are for the 51' Colts .  The pair of 49's I did were the same sizes on most of the parts so it went fairly well . For what ever reason mine were 36 cal. and all the ones in the books were 31 cal . The only problem I had was reaming the cylinder . The chambers in the C&B cylinder were not round or straight and didn't clean up when reamed with a 38 spl reamer . What happens when you shoot a round the brass expands into the valleys and the brass won't eject with out some effort . I will have to bore out each chamber and install a sleeve and reream the chamber or cut a new cylinder from barstock from scratch . I did a running post on the TFS when I did the project . It may still be in there someplace . I had fun doing it but probably wouldn't do it again .

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2004, 06:45:49 PM »
Rifled Slug, THANKS for the pictures.  Took me a couple of tries to get mine into a post, but if I can do I know anyone can 'cause I am about as illiterate about this internet 'whistles and bells' as my puppy dog.  Marshal was a great help.  I, like you, learned that the pics don't show up in a preview, so I just preview my typing then attach the photos.  Thanks again.  And I'll bet they shoot as good as they look.  Cheers, smiles, shoot straight and be SAFE.
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Offline stepnmud

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2004, 06:24:07 PM »
howdy to the dark siders, my first post here,

I too have a project '51 as per Anvil's plans and wanting to ask Rifle Slug, how did you handle the firing pin and also '"nice job" on the ejector rod. I had made the back plate and fastened it to the frame and trimmed down the cylinder and also the hammer to accomodate the back plate. My bushing for the firing pin seems to be OK but having a hard time making the firing pin itself.
 that's a right nice looking pair of "49s

also after a 'puter crash, I lost my favorite's, so any one have Frontier index or Greybeards web sites?

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2004, 08:43:31 AM »
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/index.php

&

http://www.frontierspot.org/
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914

Offline stepnmud

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2004, 11:23:44 AM »
thanks, C.C.

Offline Rifled Slug

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2004, 03:51:04 PM »
I made the firing pin as per plan but found the location was somewhat low in relation to the hammer so had to add metal to the bottom of the hammer face . I also found that you will have to do some trial and error fitting of the firing pin/spring lenght . You have a very small space to put the firing pin shoulder and spring in and still have enough room for it to move when the hammer is fully down . Also it has to retract from the fired primer enough to let the cylinder turn . This area was the most problem of the whole project for me . The other problem I had was my pistols were 36 cal (not 31 cal) and when I reamed the cylinder with a 38cal chamber reamer some of the chambers didn't clean up . What this does is lets the brass expand and they can't be easily ejected . The fix is to bore each chamber out and put a sleeve in and then reream with the chamber reamer . All in all it was a fun project . Would I do it again ? Probably not  ;D

Offline Cole Justice

• Cole Justice
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2004, 02:01:17 PM »
Nice job on those converisions.   I did mine a few years ago, but didn't have access to Anvil's plans and had to make do on my own. Worked out quite nice. I used spare cylinders from Cabelas and chambered them for 38 Colt, left off the ejector rod and loading gate and left the hammer as is so I could remove the back plate and still shoot C & B if I wanted to.  Not any problem at a match, just pull the wedge pin remove barrel and cylinder cartridges just drop out. reload and put back together.  Ready for next stage.  Just watch out for those brass frames, smokeless loads could cause them to lenghten out pass safe limits.  Again a nice job on those guns I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. ;D
Them I ain't hitting, I ain't aiming at!!!!

US Navy 1976-1991 (retired)
    (Damn Proud to have served.)

NRA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com