Author Topic: #3 .44 Russian - first impression  (Read 4190 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
#3 .44 Russian - first impression
« on: August 20, 2013, 03:31:29 PM »
My new Taylor's .44 Russian arrived today. First impression out of the box - Wow!, what a massive gun for such a puny cartridge!
Love the Russian inscription on the barrel rib!

Very nicely fitted, well finished, tight at the frame joint and barrel latch. Even has a trigger pull I can live with, although it will likely improve with use.
Seems a gun designed to be fired with both hands, the index finger of the supporting hand on the trigger guard spur. A bit awkward to cock 'Duellist', but it can be done.

Looking forward to firing it!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
Re: #3 .44 Russian - first impression
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 04:07:15 PM »
We need pictures!  ;D

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 11:14:42 AM »
Shot the Russian yesterday.

Doesn't show a preference as to load - Bulls Eye or Unique, bullets from both going into the same groups at 15 yds with a two hand hold or Duellist, both printing to the left.

After that I was plinking soft ball size rocks at 25 yds. Duck soup. Recoil is zip, like shooting light .44 Spl. loads from a $&W M29.

The gun begs to be shot with two hands, the spur making a natural resting place for the index finger of the supporting hand. I found that with one hand, I got better control and accuracy if I did not use the trigger spur, the feel being much like a modern DA revolver.
Cocking it with the thumb of the shooting hand is awkward, to say the least.

I was aware of some slight 'spitting' indicating that the forcing cone (if there is one) needs some help. I'll find out the first time I clean it.

Re: the forcing cone - barely there! They broke the edge and that was all. I think a forcing cone job is in the works.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:00:12 AM »

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 04:35:59 PM »
P.J. - While you are checking, take a look at the cylander gap. I don't know that there is a "standard" or a "normal" for the gap, but the closer it is the less blow-by you will get. The down side is that if it gets too close, the nose of the bullet will rub on the barrel as the cylander turns. Be aware that closing that gap is an expensive operation. It requires removing the barrel and recutting the barrel to frame junction to get the cylander that much closer to the forcing cone on the barrel, so you may just want to put up with the blow-by.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 07:00:57 AM »
Bugs, that will work form a Colt design with a screwed in barrel, but it's not gonna work on a S&W design, since the barrel and 1/2 of the frame are machined from one piece of steel

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 04:33:15 PM »
The cylinder gap is tight, so I expect BP fouling to be an issue.

The problem is most likely the forcing cone, and once I acquire a forcing cone cutting kit - problem solved.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 10:06:18 PM »
P.J. - While you are checking, take a look at the cylander gap. I don't know that there is a "standard" or a "normal" for the gap, but the closer it is the less blow-by you will get. The down side is that if it gets too close, the nose of the bullet will rub on the barrel as the cylander turns. Be aware that closing that gap is an expensive operation. It requires removing the barrel and recutting the barrel to frame junction to get the cylander that much closer to the forcing cone on the barrel, so you may just want to put up with the blow-by.

Bugs, you have got to be kidding.  If the nose of your bullets is sticking out of the front of the cylinder the ammo is simply to LONG. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com