Author Topic: New Berretta Break top  (Read 17016 times)

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Berretta Break top
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2005, 09:18:07 PM »
When I first heard about Berretta was coming out with a clone of the New Model Number 3 I thought my prayers were answered.  But then I found out they had the same cylinder screw arrangement that the Navy Arms  Russians did and that they weren't being offered in 44 Russian I decided to pass.  I must say I am greatly disappointed but then I am sure that the powers that be at Berretta could care less what this old portly dude thinks.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Remus

• Remus O'Dell
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 02:50:25 PM »
 ??? Beretta Top Break?  Are ya sure they're makin' 'm. Ya know a dealer tried selling me a Beretta Stampede when they first came out, sayin', Beretta made these special for a one time only deal!" I checked around in a hurry, Uberti made them and I tried to tell him that a couple hours later, and he calls me a liar. So...where do they come from fer real, are the Beretta made ???
I HAVE LEARNED THAT TO BE WITH THOSE WHOM I LIKE IS ENOUGH

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 02:37:58 PM »
Howdy, Pards,

Here's a slight update on the sight situation:  (Haven't had time to fool with the gun until now...)

Since I need to have a standard sight insert so as to fit holsters, I figured for shooting I could just replace the rear sight insert, and whittle it down to where the point of impact needs to be.  To do that I needed another (or 2...in case I mess up one) rear sight insert.  Checked with Beretta in January...out of stock.  Checked a few weeks ago...still out of stock.  Called VTI, which HAS them IN stock!  Ordered two, plus a spare latch, in case I want to try making a fixed-sight version.

I get the parts and put them away until this morning.  Now, these inserts have a little ledge near the bottom that fit into a groove in the latch. A bar with two screws clamps the sight to the latch body.  I didn't realize the inserts have the bar, so they are NOT adjustable for elevation (unless you file off the ridge), but slide from side-to-side in the groove.  Loosening those two little screws is a job!  They are TINY, both in width and thickness of the slot.  Ruined one optical screwdriver blade!  Finally tried the smallest blade from one of those brass-handled nested screwdriver sets (this one has a hammer on the largest piece).  That worked!  Got the screws loosened up.  CAUTION! DO NOT TAKE THE SCREWS ALL THE WAY OUT OF THE LATCH!  NEITHER BERETTA NOR VTI HAVE THE SCREWS IN STOCK!  Slid the original insert out sideways from the latch and the clamp piece.

Now, imaging my surprise when I looked at the parts shipped to me by VTI versus the one that came with the gun.  The VTI parts are .029" SHORTER than the original! And the sighting notch is deeper (.038")!  :o  I don't exactly know how much this will lower the point of impact at 25 yds., but I figure at least 3-1/4".  I'll take it out to our monthly match on Sunday.

What I can't figure is why the higher blade on the gun as it came from the factory, versus that of the two aftermarket inserts.  The IPB shows the part number as Z8600154, which is the only rear sight insert shown.  (Let's hear it for configuration management!)  ::)

If anybody with a 5" happens to remove their rear sight inserts, the original on mine measures .236" from the bottom to the top, versus .207" for the replacements.  I'd like to know if the higher ones are standard for the shorter barrels.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:29:11 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com