Author Topic: Schofield conversion??  (Read 16639 times)

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Schofield conversion??
« on: August 04, 2011, 07:53:01 AM »
I have a Uberti Schofield in 44-40 and would like to know if it would be possible to obtain a cylinder in 44spec to use in it?  Were the Ubertis ever chambered in 44spec and if yes where would one find the cylinders?  How close to a drop in job would something like this be and otherwise, where would I look to find someone who does this type work?  I am actually thinking 44 Russian here if cylinders are available in 44spec.

Offline ammodave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Schofield conversion??
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 10:07:35 AM »
Sounds like an interesting project.  I was hoping one of our experts would chime in with some sage advice but apparently they're all out lynching rustlers.  I don't believe Uberti ever made a .44 spcl Schofield, only .45 colt, 44/40, and .38 spcl.  Is it possible the cylinder for the Uberti Russian model is actually  interchangeable with the Schofield given the similarities in the frame?  VTI stocks cylinders for the Russian model in caliber .44  Russian for $175.  I'd give VTI a call at (860)435-8068  and find out.    Alternatively, you could get a Schofield .38 spcl cylinder from VTI and have it rechambered for .44 spcl.  Good luck.  

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 08:39:30 AM »
I have not checked to see if they are in stock but VTI does list a 44spec Schofield Cylinder.  I am currently considering several ways to get to what I want, a pair of 5 1/2" barrel large caliber Schofields, capable of handling smokey rounds.  The cylinders are actually priced lower than I would have thought on VTI but fitting might require gunsmith fees and since the gun does not handle bp 44-40s, it might not do any better after the caliber change?

I am currently leaning towards the idea of selling the short barl 44-40 Schofield and having the barrels on my 45s cut back to 5 1/2" by a qualified gunsmith.  Since these guns handle the bp subs extremely well, shortening the barls should not affect that.  When I can get a few pesos together I will look for a gunsmith that can bob the barls and reinstall the front sights properly, do not want any hobby gunsmiths on this one.  I figure for this job, since there is no action impact here,  I could get away with just mailing the barrels, no?  In this economy, every penny counts!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:56:18 PM »

Offline ammodave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 01:21:27 PM »
Cutting the barrels is pretty routine work for a qualified gunsmith.  Charleston is a big town;  surely you've got a few "real" smiths available.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 08:14:09 PM »
I have not checked to see if they are in stock but VTI does list a 44spec Schofield Cylinder.  I am currently considering several ways to get to what I want, a pair of 5 1/2" barrel large caliber Schofields, capable of handling smokey rounds.  The cylinders are actually priced lower than I would have thought on VTI but fitting might require gunsmith fees and since the gun does not handle bp 44-40s, it might not do any better after the caliber change?

I am currently leaning towards the idea of selling the short barl 44-40 Schofield and having the barrels on my 45s cut back to 5 1/2" by a qualified gunsmith.  Since these guns handle the bp subs extremely well, shortening the barls should not affect that.  When I can get a few pesos together I will look for a gunsmith that can bob the barls and reinstall the front sights properly, do not want any hobby gunsmiths on this one.  I figure for this job, since there is no action impact here,  I could get away with just mailing the barrels, no?  In this economy, every penny counts!

VTI gets their parts diagrams and lists from Uberti.  There are all kinds of parts shown that never existed or have been out of production for a long time.  Call VTI and they'll tell you real quick what they have and don't have.

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 10:08:41 PM »
Responses received so far indicates that the cost of having the Schofield barrels shortened and sights reset by a gunsmith have sounded like my best bet for getting what I want .   

Offline John William McCandles

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 05:08:59 PM »
Were you able to do this conversion? How does it work with the .44WCF barrel and .44spl?
I contacted VTI and the .44 spl cylinders are on back order which indicates that they are available.

JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
Alpine Outlaws (Inactive)
NRA Life
NAHC Life
U.S. Navy Submarine Service Retired

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 07:27:26 PM »
Were you able to do this conversion? How does it work with the .44WCF barrel and .44spl?
I contacted VTI and the .44 spl cylinders are on back order which indicates that they are available.

JW

Some Uberti parts have been on "back order" for years.  Doesn't mean they were are are available.  VTI's site list parts for a .32 Mag Model 73.  No such gun was ever produced.  I've had Uberti Lightning parts ordered for over a year and it is in current production.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 07:42:39 PM »
Some Uberti parts have been on "back order" for years.  Doesn't mean they were are are available.  VTI's site list parts for a .32 Mag Model 73.  No such gun was ever produced.  I've had Uberti Lightning parts ordered for over a year and it is in current production.

Ok, thanks.
I'm still in the notion of a pair of 6 1/2" .44 Russians modified for black powder and the spurs removed, just have to find the likely candidates.

JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
NRA Life
NAHC Life

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 07:50:19 PM »
Ok, thanks.
I'm still in the notion of a pair of 6 1/2" .44 Russians modified for black powder and the spurs removed, just have to find the likely candidates.

JW

Spurs removed?  If you are talking about the New Model Russian with the trigger guard spur, those are available in .44 Russian.  I have a friend that shoots a pair with BP.  They need a little work between stages, but they are sure unique looking.  You can machine the cylinder and frame and install gas rings if you are a real die hard BP shooter.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 08:03:57 PM »
Spurs removed?  If you are talking about the New Model Russian with the trigger guard spur, those are available in .44 Russian.  I have a friend that shoots a pair with BP.  They need a little work between stages, but they are sure unique looking.  You can machine the cylinder and frame and install gas rings if you are a real die hard BP shooter.

Yep, that be them. Been kicking the idea around for a while and finally getting around to going thru with it.
I plan on doing the machine work for the longer gas rings, removing the spurs and taking them out to .44 spl so I can shoot the same loads as my Cimarron '66 Winchester and Cimarron '60 R&M conversions.

JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
NRA Life
NAHC Life

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 10:24:07 PM »
A little off the subject but, anyone know a reputable gunsmith that can/will ream out a .44 russian cylinder to .44 special?

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 07:10:17 AM »
A little off the subject but, anyone know a reputable gunsmith that can/will ream out a .44 russian cylinder to .44 special?

I did my Cimarron '60 R&M's myself. A reamer can be purchased from Brownells I believe. I purchased mine a few years ago from a pard over on the SASSwire.
When I get my Russians I will do this myself, if there is enough length in the cylinder to do such which I am sure there would be as the cylinders are cut for .45 Colt also.

JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
NRA Life
NAHC Life

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 02:14:33 PM »
I did my Cimarron '60 R&M's myself. A reamer can be purchased from Brownells I believe. I purchased mine a few years ago from a pard over on the SASSwire.
When I get my Russians I will do this myself, if there is enough length in the cylinder to do such which I am sure there would be as the cylinders are cut for .45 Colt also.

JW

Thank you sir.

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 08:23:01 PM »
The Schofield triggerguard and the Russian Triggerguard (by Uberti) are identical except for the spur..  You can leave your Russian TG intact for future use or value (?) and substitute the Schofield part.  (See VTI gunparts)
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 10:57:40 AM »
I'm bring this thread back up to see if anyone ever figured out if a Uberti .44 Russian cylinder would fit a Uberti Schofield?

Regards
JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
NRA Life
NAHC Life

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1227
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 11:17:46 AM »
The Uberti Russian and Schofield both use the same cylinder part number in 45LC, so this would seem to indicate that cylinders are interchangeable between the two models. 

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 12:04:09 PM »
The Uberti Russian and Schofield both use the same cylinder part number in 45LC, so this would seem to indicate that cylinders are interchangeable between the two models.  

So I suppose a person could change the cylinder out on a .44WCF Schofield to a .44 Russian cylinder and have the barrel taken out to .429"/.430" (if needed?) and shoot .44 Russian or .44 Spl. if the .44 Russian cylinder is reamed to .44 Spl.
Might be a interesting project.
Thanks Abilene!

JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
NRA Life
NAHC Life

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 08:34:08 PM »
So I suppose a person could change the cylinder out on a .44WCF Schofield to a .44 Russian cylinder and have the barrel taken out to .429"/.430" (if needed?) and shoot .44 Russian or .44 Spl. if the .44 Russian cylinder is reamed to .44 Spl.
Might be a interesting project.
Thanks Abilene!

JW

I'm not really sure what you mean.  They are both .44s what would need to be "taken out?"  Uberti has used .429 on all its .44s for years.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 06:26:55 AM »
I'm not really sure what you mean.  They are both .44s what would need to be "taken out?"  Uberti has used .429 on all its .44s for years.

I thought that all Uberti .44's were .429" but was not sure, so that makes it even easier!.
Thanks for straightening me out on that.

JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
NRA Life
NAHC Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com