Author Topic: lettin' the ole gal sing  (Read 3837 times)

Offline Tubac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
lettin' the ole gal sing
« on: March 16, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »
As you folks can tell, livin' in the desert for all these years has pretty much unhinged me.
My latest adventure was to make up some cartidges for my MH .44 SA open top.
I started with .41 mag cartridges cut down and fire formed. added 15 grains of German FFFG,
corn meal and some reworked .428 bullets. I loaded 24 rounds and went off into the desert.
The first six rounds were shot into the ground just to see if the gun would handle it. I plinked the next eighteen at cans and a piece of wood. Not particularly accurate but not bad for me.
The idea of shooting a 130 year old firearm that has "been there, done that" was really great.
Now to find a 'smith to fit on a sight.
Tubac
from the Confederate Territory of Arizona

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
Re: lettin' the ole gal sing
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 05:34:29 PM »
Tubac,

WAY cool.  Sitting here green with envy and with drool running down my chin! :o ;)  A front sight might help a bit. ::)
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Tubac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 06:20:06 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, Dr. Bob. I just gotta find a smith and a Mexican One Real silver piece.
I'd like to add, that before you do anything foolish like ole Tubac, please have the gun looked over.
 The only problem was that I couldn't get all the shells to eject. Four would fall out but two would stay 3/4 of the way in the cylinder. I thought I had good suction, but I guess not.

Tubac

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:38:36 PM »

Offline gw

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 09:32:39 AM »
Tubac----Nice M-H and congrats on having the "nads" to actually shoot it! My guess on the 2 chambers that hang up when you open it are:1) rim thickness may be slightly "off"
                                                                2) those 2 chambers may be slightly rougher than
                                                                    the others--very light honing may be the answer.
I shoot a second model pocket army but it is a 44wcf, or in M-H lingo, a  Calibre Wnchester 1873.
These are wonderful old guns with a character all their own, a reproduction of these will never have that! ;) Good luck with your project and keep us informed on your progress.
NCOWS 1437-Territorial Representative  -Great Lakes Freight and Mining Co.- NCOWS Representative and Delegate to the Executive Board
SASS 5847 Life
NMLRA
NRA Life
MIAMI RIFLE CLUB Life
QUIGLEY SHOOTER Lifer

Offline Tubac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 12:07:34 PM »
Thanks GW, I'm not going to shot her with any regularity, but it's nice to know that she still works.
I have some questions for you.
My bore mics out to .424, have you mic'ed your's?
How much powder do you use? Figuring that the originals were 20 gr. I lowered it to 15 gr.
What does the "crossbar" that looks like a Colt percussion wedge on the barrel do? I can't remove mine. I'm guessing it allows air to escape as the rod goes in ?
Do you have a photo of your's handy?
I agree about the originals, but I'd love to have a repro as a shooter.

Tubac
90 miles north of Tombstone 50 miles south of Tiger AZ

Offline gw

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 10:36:58 AM »
Tubac---I've only 'slugged' the chambers on mine---.427"---normal for a 44-40. I think the last loads I made were around 28-29 grs. FFg.----They're plenty stout in this pistol.
The 'crossbar you refer to---mine has one just in front of the cylinder pin/gasring and another real close to the muzzle. I'm sure they act to lock the barrel to the 'frame rod' that they pivot on. Can't say I've tried to remove either one though.
    I'll try to get a photo on here when I can.

NCOWS 1437-Territorial Representative  -Great Lakes Freight and Mining Co.- NCOWS Representative and Delegate to the Executive Board
SASS 5847 Life
NMLRA
NRA Life
MIAMI RIFLE CLUB Life
QUIGLEY SHOOTER Lifer

Offline gw

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 05:13:36 PM »
Let me try this one more time, hopefully there are a couple of not-to-great photos of my Pocket Army here:

Even though it appears nickled, only traces of the original nickel remain, the rest is bare steel. The grips are replacements but the rest(save the bolt spring and trigger return spring) is original. If this isn't a 19th century "pocket pistol", what is??? ;)
SASS 5847 Life
NMLRA
NRA Life
MIAMI RIFLE CLUB Life
QUIGLEY SHOOTER Lifer

Offline Tubac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 08:58:15 PM »
Thanks for the great photos, that's a really nice revolver.
I finally removed the wedge from the barrel, the gun has to be disasembled, but once the barrel is off, it just slides out. The arbor appears to ride on it. The wedge has an assembly number and it matches the assy. numbers on the rest of the gun.
take care,

Tubac

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com