Author Topic: .38 special full wad cutters?  (Read 683 times)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
.38 special full wad cutters?
« on: April 28, 2023, 06:47:20 PM »
 Thinking about just shooting FWC, in my .38 OT, anyone see a problem with this, if so, good, bad, no problem's?

coffee's ready,  Hootmix.

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5039
Re: .38 special full wad cutters?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 07:28:34 PM »
Never ran wadcutters in my OTs or Schofields, so I am of no help on this.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 08:07:03 PM »
 I have a few hundred 158 SWC that i got in trade 5-6yrs. ago, but the lub is dried out & some missing lub, thinking of remelting them down into WC and PC'n them. Sort of learn to be efficient w/ just one bullet for self defense, snakes, or small game. So just wonder'n if there might be a long distant draw back. Thanks DeaconKC.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:58:12 AM »

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 08:54:26 PM »
Easiest thing would be just roll them around in some Lee liquid Alox and then shoot them as they are, unless you just enjoy re-casting bullets.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 09:47:29 PM »
 Hey pony, that would be a good ideal, but just now i'm try'n my hand at PC'n and i like how they are working in my 40-60. Now i know i can wash the SWC's in acetone and coat , but thnk i'll go w/ the FWC's in my OT that is if its not going to be a problem, thank you for the reply.

Offline FriscoCountyWolfy

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 29723
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2023, 04:49:37 PM »
are the full wad cutters too light in weight or something?  apologies, but i don’t see how WC nor SWC would = trouble for OT nor any wheel gun.

Online Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2023, 10:21:18 AM »

:) Well Heck  ;)

I have two choices to pull answers from.  Up first for your perusal are my Captain Schaeffer Replica 1851s.  I oft shoot 'em with R & D two piece conversion cylinders.  Since the guns started life as .36 Percussion, I shoot them mostly with 158Gr Swaged Wadcutters.  Accuracy is pretty darn good.  And I'm shooting APP so lube doesn't matter.  I also shoot these guns with 105Gr .357 Truncated Cone bullets, crayon lubed, but again, with APP, lube doesn't matter.  No problems at all with wadcutters.

Next up are my Open Tops.  Mine are in fact "Open Tops," not conversions.  The pair are also chameleons.  Many Lustrum ago, I added Barrel/Cylinder combinations  to the guns in .44 Special and .38 Special to compliment the original .45 Schofield chambering.  When shooting the .38s, I switch back and fourth between 158Gr Wadcutters and 105Gr Truncated Cone bullets or 125Gr Truncated cone bullets.  I have experienced NO problems with either smokeless (some time ago) or APP.  I also shoot a Wadcutter in .45.  The Specialty "Barnstormer" bullet is in truth a vary radical Hollow Base Wadcutter.  Its weight is right around 130Gr.  Accuracy is Excellent with either smokeless or APP.

Out of the box Swaged Wadcutters may be problematic with BP.  I don't know if they carry enough lube and the lube they do carry is not compatible with BP.  I would expect a goodly amount of fouling and poor long days accuracy.  I must council however, that is just conjecture.  I have never fired any of my HBWC with BP.  Just smokeless and APP.  YMMV 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com