Author Topic: A Proper Platform  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A Proper Platform
« on: April 28, 2007, 10:25:06 PM »
I just added an article to the "Tips and Help" section of my web site on maintaining a proper platform while shooting. This is a technique that is part of the fundamentals of action shooting.  Hope you learn something!

http://www.jspublications.net/tips/ShootingPlatform.html

Doc

Offline E.R.Beaumont

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A Proper Platform
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 04:55:18 PM »
Howdy Pards and Pardettes.

Howdy Doc, Thank-you for this article, there is a vast amount of information that the semi-beginning to intermediate shooter needs, but doesen't know about it or doesn't know where to find it.  You giving freely of what you have learned is one way for these Pards and Pardettes to begin their path to shooting nervana.  So again, I Thank-You for your generocity.  One of the best things about this is that it opens up a dialog so that meaningful discuourse can ensue. 

The stance that Doc has demonstrated is sometimes refered to as the "Turret Stance".  (it is also called the isoscolese, but I can't spell it.)  This stance became the two handed stance of choice after the development of soft body armor.  With body armor the "Weaver Stance" will expose the arm hole of the vest to opposing fire. However if you don't wear armor the "Weaver Stance" will expose less of your body to opposing fire.

The "Weaver Stance" begins with the body quartering to the target, support side foot slightly ahead of the fireing side foot, toes at an angle to the target, feet shoulder width appart. This is basicaly the standard ready stance for most physical activities, the boxer's stance, knife fighters stance, etc, etc.  The "Turret Stance" has the body square to the target, with the feet under the body, shoulder wirth apart, toes pointed at the target.

The "Weaver Stance" requires that the arm holding the gun pushes, and the support arm pulls, this will put isometric tension into the gun mount and help to control the recoil impulse.  It works but it also is tireing as to work it has to have the tension of the push pull so the muscles are always working.  The "Turret Stance" has both arms straight out from the body slightly bent and together at the centerline of the body.

It has been my experience that both stances will do what they are supposed to do as far as two hand supported shooting goes.  Note: any shooters that are also Peace Officers that wear body armor at work should use the "Turret Stance" because we "fight like we train", and you do not need to be exposing that arm hole to opposing fire. 

With either of these stances the important thing to remember is, knees ahead of ankles, and shoulders ahead of knees, you should be on your toes and the balls of your feet.  Neither of these stances will work well if you shoot with your knees straight, heels planted on the ground  and shoulders rocked back over the buttoks.  Both of these stances require that the shooter be agressive in their stance, to manage the recoil impulse.

Which is best?  That is like asking which gun is best? or what caliber is best?  It depends, it depends on what you are doing and what is comfortable to you.  No shooter can have enough tools in their bag, learn both and then apply them as required, who knows you might even combine or modify them to fit your style.

That is all I think I know.
Regards, Beaumont
SASS Life#21319
NRA Life, Endowment
CCRKBA Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com