Author Topic: Mini-Buffler Rifle  (Read 2388 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Mini-Buffler Rifle
« on: March 22, 2012, 08:11:15 PM »
Did some windfall clearing today and discovered that the snow on my 100 yd range was only 18" deep. I hauled out my "wife's" .357 mag Uberti rolling block to play .....

This little gem (her 'mini-buffler rifle') has a 26" tapered octagonal barrel and is the kind of rifle we all wish we had as kids. Historically, it was chambered in several RF and CF cartridges, including the .38 Long, so the .357 cartridge is right in there. The Brits would call it a "rook" rifle if it was chambered in any of several such calibres, including the Eley .380 Long. The current issue of BPCN has an article on these little jewels.

It groups well with 21 grs FFFg, but fouls up badly after about 10 rds. With 6.5 of smokey, old Unique and a 158 SWC, it groups ridiculously well off hand at 25 and 50 yds. There being a shortage of mini-bufflers out there, I'd consider it a viable deer rifle under 75 yds with a broadside shot.

This rifle could convert people who say they don't like roliling block rifles. Quite a affordable compared to one of the mini-Sharps rifles on the market. If it was rechambered to the .357 Max, it would make a better BP rifle, but chambering a cartridge might be problematical, necessitating grinding off the top of the hammer.

Naah, I'll let it be what it is, a little sweetheart mini-buffler rifle.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com