Author Topic: Right. Buckaroo Guns?  (Read 5675 times)

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • You can't have no idea how little I care...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Right. Buckaroo Guns?
« on: November 24, 2012, 10:29:40 PM »
Didna want to Necro, since the thread I found was quite old... 

ANYWAY, my brother has shown an interest in the sport, he has a 9 year old son-also quite interested in Cowboys and Indians in general.  My brother actually did a little dance (a physical dance, in his living room floor) when he found out that CAS has a "Buckaroo" category!  He asked me to look into firearms for the little fella.

So far, what I've been able to find (in their price rage) are:

Chiappa Plinkerton Revolvers
Henry Rifles (take your pick, really)
and
Stoger Coach Shotgun

All said, that's running right between $1080-1500, depending on what models they select, and if they go new/where they buy from.  That don't include leather.

Any suggestions other than those?  Are there any decent (and inexpensive) 1897 Style Pump Shotguns in .410?  Any 1887 LEVER shotguns?  Hell, for that matter, any coach guns with EXTERNAL levers (I REALLY like the look, ya know?) in .410?

Ruger Bearcats are nice, but pricey.  Same with the Uberti Stallion.  Still, any input/advice/pointers would be GREAT!

We go down Saturday to our first match-not sure if there ARE any youth/buckaroo shooters at our local CAS Club, but we'll see.  If not, who knows?  Maybe we can get some interest going on in it.  Hell, my daughter's only a few years out from her first .22, so I'm hoping.

Again, ANY advice, pointers, suggestions, tips, etc., GREATLY appreciated!

Regards,
SSS
The above may or may not be influenced by medications and/or alcohol...  (i.e. don't blame me if it's bad spelling/incoherent)
--------

July 9, 2011-The Birth of Southern Sudan!

Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh, Wgah'nagl Fhtagn!

Do not believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you!-Courage Wolf

The gods only go with you, if you put yourself in their path. And that takes courage...-The Crystal Cave

Hiding won't help you, you see...  I control the bullets-I make them go where I want.

A gun's power isn't in it's muzzle velocity or caliber...-Revolver Ocelot

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
Re: Right. Buckaroo Guns?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 08:38:46 AM »
Rossi made hammered .410's years ago, I have a 20ga version that I love.  They are alittle hard to find, just check gunbroker every now and then.   
You can get a Heritage Rough Rider .22's for less than $200, I have one that I got several years and it work pretty well.  I am saving it for my two little ones when they get older.

Offline brazosdave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 08:47:04 AM »
I was about to mention the Heritage revolvers. I've seen em at Cheaper than dirt, Buds guns, and gunbroker for a lot less than a plinkerton.
"I'm your huckleberry, it's just my game"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:46:59 AM »

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 08:53:12 AM »
Just for getting started, you might look at a single barrell .410, I believe you can have an ejector on a single, which helps a little making up for being only a single shot.

There's a guy who shoots with us that uses one of those "lever action" single shots, he's really pretty quick with it! Don't remember for sure who made those, maybe Ithica?

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 01:43:27 PM »
Thanks mates-I've passed the information along to the relevant parties, and we'll see how it goes-I'll use this thread to keep them what care informed of how the little fella does!
The above may or may not be influenced by medications and/or alcohol...  (i.e. don't blame me if it's bad spelling/incoherent)
--------

The gods only go with you, if you put yourself in their path. And that takes courage...-The Crystal Cave

Hiding won't help you, you see...  I control the bullets-I make them go where I want.

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 07:25:36 AM »
Just for getting started, you might look at a single barrell .410, I believe you can have an ejector on a single, which helps a little making up for being only a single shot.

There's a guy who shoots with us that uses one of those "lever action" single shots, he's really pretty quick with it! Don't remember for sure who made those, maybe Ithica?

Ithaca M66, it does not have an ejector though.  I shot my first match with one, you could time me with a sun dial :) .

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 01:32:03 PM »
Ithaca M66, it does not have an ejector though.  I shot my first match with one, you could time me with a sun dial :) .

OK, *I* want one of those, just because!

I'll pass that along to them, but so far I can't find one for a decent price (my Google-Fu is not strong, today)!

So Tornado, that was you shooting in the video?  Very well done, from what I can tell-and probably a far sight better'n what I'll do, come my first match (December ONEst, one of the members has invited me to his hardware to get a feel)!
--------

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 04:24:18 PM »
Yep that is me.  My brother and I went to our first match with my two pistols and my Dad's Ithica(present from his grandpa when he was 15).  We went expecting to skip the rifle and take the miss but we had nice rifles put in our hands and we had a blast.  I bought a Rossi hammered double barrel for our second match and I was only a little faster than the Ithica!
2nd match:

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 05:57:41 PM »
Yep that is me.  My brother and I went to our first match with my two pistols and my Dad's Ithica(present from his grandpa when he was 15).  We went expecting to skip the rifle and take the miss but we had nice rifles put in our hands and we had a blast.  I bought a Rossi hammered double barrel for our second match and I was only a little faster than the Ithica!
2nd match:

I can only hope my first match (this Saturday) goes HALF that smooth...

I was out acting the maggot recently with my Marlin 336 (.30-30, not CAS Legal), working on the "Spin-Cock" technique, and ended up splitting my middle finger down to the bone-so I'll have that issue to deal with come Match Day...

Still, not a bad run for your second time out!
--------

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com