Author Topic: Did you ever had a Orginal Henry Rifle in your hands?  (Read 14324 times)

Henry4440

Did you ever had a Orginal Henry Rifle in your hands?
« on: March 01, 2007, 08:40:53 AM »
A question from a poor Old German.
Did you ever had a Orginal Henry Rifle in your hands?
Or is it still a dream?
 ;)

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Did you ever had a Orginal Henry Rifle in your hands?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 08:48:59 AM »
Certainly - and way before they were the rarity that they are today, though a clean and un-restored Henry was always worth picking up.

Back in the 1960's - during America's Civil War Centennial - folks were scouring their closets and attics and all sorts of guns were reappearing and finding their way to the gun show tables.

Back then - 'everything' was original - and almost common, depending on where one lived.

It was the Civil War Centennial that gave birth to the replica industry with the push by Val Forgett.

Today - you can own an original Henry - but you'll pay for the privilege.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 09:51:43 AM »
I handled one at The Horse Solider in Gettysburg.... They knew we were Film Crew working on Gettysburg

... Only $25,000.... in 1991
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:42:03 PM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 10:15:59 AM »
I have twice.

First was about 1995.  I got a call from a friend of mine that ran an antique store in Jamestown, CA.  He said he had an old Winchester he wanted me to look at.  I got there and almosted fainted.  I handled the old winchester, alright!

It was the Cpt. A L Fahnenstock Henry, serial No. 1348.  It was engraved 86th Ill infantry, had the tin-type of him holding the rifle, and his discharge papers!  He said the guy wanted $9,000 for it all, and wanted to know if that was fair.  I told him to sell his house, mortgage the kids, BUT BUY THE HENRY!!!!!!

I talked to him the next week and he told me that the seller came and got the rifle before he got the $9,000 together. He said the seller sold it online to an auction house or collector for $25,000 or $30,000

It is mentioned in the Wiley Sword book on Henries, and the tin-type is pictured there. (That's how I know the details.  When I bought the book, I recognized the photo right away.  The "Known Henry list" also confirms the picture and engraving.

Second time was about 2000.  I was writing a magazine article about Tombstone and was in the Court House Museum.  I got to touch Ed Schefflein's Henry on display.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 10:44:08 AM »
It was an interesting time - a new Colt Single Action Army was retail priced at $125 - and no one ever thought that they'd sell.

I remember a cased 1851 Navy Colt with all accouterments priced at $125 with no one buying it for a couple of years.

Sharps and Spencer carbines were around $50 - Joslyns and Burnsides less, since there was no 'romance' associated, and Springfield rifles seldom if ever hit the C-note mark, since there were so many.

Hell - M1911's and P-38's were priced 'mail-order' - around $30-$35, with Lugers going higher because of 'mystique'.

Of course, this was all pre-GCA '68...

There were some damned 'good' gun shows around, filled to the brim with interesting things, and with some 'very' experienced collectors who were kind enough to teach a truly interested kid what to look for and how to see through the BS.

And yeah - a guy can say - 'Boy, I shoulda bought as many of those as I could...' - but the fact of the matter was that no one made that much money to where he could afford to blow it on something that was looked at as an inexhaustible resource.

No one 'ever' thought they'd dry up, and hindsight's always going to be 20-20.

Back then - neighborhoods had a local 'gun nut' and no one thought that they had to keep an eye on him because of his collector's enthusiasm.

After 1968 - it all changed - but not completely like you'd think.

The GCA 'did' prohibit importation of surplus guns - but what started to happen was thar folks were actually doing research and publishing their findings, where reference books pre-dating the GCA were relatively few.

Plus - young, serious guys wanted 'provenance', where before, just acquiring the piece was enough.

The increase of available information led to the phrase 'I'm gonna have to research that before I price it'...' - because now the average guy (that unknowing individual who fuelled the trade) could do so - and did.

Prices skyrocketed - and that old 'under-a-grand' Henry from those days is now priced at $25,000.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 10:49:26 AM »
I had a friend in the 90s who was a big time and well know collector.  Not only did he let me handle his Henry but an unfired baby Paterson and a Revolutionary War Brown Bess which we shot at our Bicentennial Shoot ;D.  He passed away about 10 years ago.  I often wonder what became of his collection.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 10:58:39 AM »
The first attorney my wife worked for was an eccentric in many ways.  He had absolutely no interest in anything western and considered guns to be a necessary tool (He carried a Coly model M .380), but he had a Henry and a Volcanic on the wall above his desy in a glakk case, and Colt SAAs in 4-3/4, 5-1/2, and 7-1/2 inch versions in a matching case on the opposite wall.

All were in excellent condition and completely original.  I handled the rifles many times, but never got to fire them.

When he retired in 96, he sold them for about what it cost to buy a new Jaguar Saloon.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 11:43:22 AM »
St. George

It is all relative... remember your could buy a brand new GTO, Mach 1 or TOPO Camaro for about $3400

A Cuda was in the same price range... today you'll pay 6 figures... a Hemi Cuda sold at $240,000.00

A  (Shelby) Mustang signed by Carrol himself.... $650,000

I figure a 25-35,000 Henry a bargain... they found a case of them @ the Winchester factory during the depression ...
They tried to sell them to employees leaving after their shift..... $ 0.25 each.  :'(
when planets align...do the deal !

Henry4440

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 01:13:09 PM »
You lucky guys.
I take a little search about Henry Rifle auction.

James Julia's annual fall firearms auction:
The third-place lot at $149,500 was an iron frame Henry rifle, the early form of what would become the Winchester. Its low serial number (2) and "very fine" condition were responsible for its desirability.
Selling for $143,750 was a brass frame Henry rifle, serial number 18, with a fully engraved receiver.

Little John Auction Services of Orange, California:
The premier piece of the entire sale was an earlier version of a model 1866 Winchester  known as the Briggs Patent repeating rifle. These were never produced commercially, and six are currently known. The example at this sale carries serial number 1, is elaborately engraved, and is inscribed to W.C. Dodge. It sold for $220,000 with buyer's premium

Rock Island auction April/March 2006:
Rare engraved U.S. contract Henry rifle – Lot 3310 which sold for $86,250

Did anyone know who had  the Henry Rifle with the No.2.I mean the first one.
I know that No.1 goes to Edwin M. Stranton, Secretary of War and No.6 to Abe.Lincoln.
 ;)

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 01:31:55 PM »
No.  :(

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Henry4440

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 01:33:38 PM »
Oh, i forget.Did anybody ever saw  Lincoln's Henry Rifle?
And have you some photos? ;D
 ;)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 06:12:41 PM »
Saw Lincoln's rifle in the Smithsonian the last time I was there...'bout 1973.  They would likely have pics.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 10:48:02 AM »
Saw Lincoln's rifle in the Smithsonian the last time I was there...'bout 1973.  They would likely have pics.

Here's the url: <http://americanhistory.si.edu/militaryhistory/collection/object.asp?ID=3>
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Henry4440

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 11:43:43 AM »
Here's the url: <http://americanhistory.si.edu/militaryhistory/collection/object.asp?ID=3>

Yip, i know that website, but i find the image is unsharp or must i say out of focus?
Did no one of you ever take a photo from that Henry?Guys that's history.
 ;)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 11:54:15 AM »
I took a photo of Ed Schefflein's Henry in Tombstone when I was there for the article, but that was in my pre-digital days, and I don't know where it is!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Henry4440

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 12:08:29 PM »
I took a photo of Ed Schefflein's Henry in Tombstone when I was there for the article, but that was in my pre-digital days, and I don't know where it is!
Sorry, but who is,was, Ed Schefflein?

What happend to the Sitting Bull Henry Rifle No.7136( inscribed) that he get from the President of the U.S. . And what name had the President?
 ;)

Offline stepnmud

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 12:27:55 PM »
Ed hit it big time when searching the hills around Tombstone, before Tombstone was a town, when he found silver.

this 1880 pic was taking after he got famous, previous to that he was known to tote a Henry when out looking for gold & silver

Henry4440

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2007, 12:41:09 PM »
Ed hit it big time when searching the hills around Tombstone, before Tombstone was a town, when he found silver.

this 1880 pic was taking after he got famous, previous to that he was known to tote a Henry when out looking for gold & silver
Thanks a lot.
As my father always said: Son, listen and learn. :D
Schefflein sounds German.maybe a Swabian?
 ;)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 01:14:22 PM »
In fact, Ed named Tombstone after he struck it rich and the boom town started. When he had headed out to the area, an Army Officer told him he would find nothing out there but his "tombstone."  Ed had a sense of humor.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tubac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2007, 11:43:53 AM »
Henry 4440,
You have to remember that more Americans are of German ancestry than any other European group. In many parts of the US German names are very very comon.

Tubac
from the Confederate Territory of Arizona

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com