Author Topic: Historic Forts  (Read 1827 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Historic Forts
« on: July 18, 2011, 11:29:43 AM »
Just got back from a week long visit to southern Alberta. Took in Fort Steele on the way, Fort McLeod and Fort Whoop Up.

Fort Steele was a disappointment, far from what it could be, but still interesting. July 1st was a good show by all accounts, but then it went into repose. We were in period dress which attracted some interest, the public thinking we were on staff. I wore my military vest rather than my full dress RE tunic due to the heat. The ladies that ran the studio fussed over our picture in appreciation of our efforts.
In the beautiful foothills country of my youth, we took in "Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump" museum. Very informative. However, don't bother with the over priced mediocre buffalo stew and bannock at $12.95 or Buffalo Sliders at $5.50 each.

Fort McLeod was a delight - the museum and the 'Musical Ride'. This time I was in full regalia and was accorded VIP status. I was honoured to be invited to inspect the Troop before tbeir performance. The eight kids do a credible job of the Musical Ride, performing flawlessly on well trained horses. Allegedly, I was on detached duty, called from retirement to do an assessment of military installations east of the Rockies.
Fort Whoop Up was a real surprise, especially the gun room! I've never seen such an array of period firearms, the usual and some odd balls. There I met Gordon Tolton, author of "The Cowboy Cavalry", "Prairie Warships" and other titles. He was working in the shop and I commented that I had just read a book about the irregular cavalry raised in 1885. He beamed and told me that he was the author!
I told him how much I enjoyed his works and we had a great conversation. Working there allows him to write, but of course he is the arch-typical 'starving artist' of Canadian literature. Of course, he knows "Rattle Snake Jack" and other miscreants.

When I got home, a surprise awaited - my Remington 1911R1 for 'Wild Bunch' shooting! This gun is all I expected and more. Pity it incorporates the Colt Series '80 firing pin plunger gizmo that does nothing for the trigger pull. It has all the mods necessary and allowed by SASS. Fits my little paws like it was designed for me. My Gold Cup is getting jealous .... ;>)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Historic Forts
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 09:52:46 AM »
I usually do that run every other year (I do Ft. Steele separately).  I usually camp (RV) at Chain Lakes on Hwy 22, fish a bit then head to the campground two miles south of Head Smashed In, then visit the two Ft McLeods and Jerry Potts grave site, then over to Fort Whoop-Up.
Some times I will slide over and camp at the Cypresss Hills and visit Fort Walsh and the two whiskey forts about two miles south of the fort. I call it my history trip.  My wife doesn't go with me as she is not into old west history.

Next year I'm going back to the Little Big Horn for the umpteenth time. ;D

Just as an aside, the original Fort McLeod was just ESE of the cemetery.  If you Google Earth Fort McLeod you can still see remnants of the island the original fort was build on.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com