Author Topic: New long range eyes!  (Read 2054 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New long range eyes!
« on: April 25, 2012, 10:41:40 AM »
For the past few years, I haven't shot my 45-70 Farmingdale Business Rifle much. It's got a heavy 28" round barrel and shoots like a dream. In order to adjust the vernier tang sight, I'd have to remove my muffs, take off my shooting glasses, put on my reading glasses, make the adjustment and reverse the process .... enough of a PITA to discourage me from shooting it.

Recently I had my eyes tested and was told that I now had a slight long range prescription. The solution was progressive lenses! Now I can read the 1/4 minute increments on the sight ladder, make the adjustments and carry on with shooting in seconds.  Yee-haw!

At the range yesterday, I was happily moving from the rams to the turkeys, to the 200 yd gong back to the rams and then the 300 yd gong ..... all my old sight settings were still valid.
I was sharing the range with a young fellow who had a brace of high tech .308 'tacticool' rifles. We were spotting for each other and were surprised that the x-wind affected his 155 gr Berger bullets as much as my 500 gr Lyman 457125s. I was holding on the head of the rams to hit them in the butt and so was he.

He also had a stock GI Remington '17 in .30-'06 and it shot as well as the scoped .308s right out to the rams.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Skyrider

• Very Active Citizen
  • Thank A VET For Your FREEDOM!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New long range eyes!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 11:33:24 AM »
Great NEWS PJ-Hardtack....Yippy Ki Yoo! 8)

I too have a vision problem, I cannot make out the front sight on my 1876 worth a "hoot" nowdays, same goes for all my long barrel rifles. I must get new lenses and hope for the best I suppose. It sure would be a blessing to have 20-10 vision and be able to shoot my guns, never happen but one can only dream hey.

I don't know how I will do with this new buffalo rifle in 45/120, I hope to know something in a couple of weeks perhaps. If I can see it, I can generally hit the target and seeing is the whole foundationi of shooting. ;D
IRISH MIKE

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com