Author Topic: "frosted" cast bullets  (Read 9152 times)

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "frosted" cast bullets
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2017, 07:05:07 PM »
Well, since we're back "on topic" as the OP stated, he doesn't use alloys with antimony, I believe that's what causes the "frosting" at high temps. In my experience, I'd rather have the temp on the verge of frosting, that seems to be where I get the best filled out bullets.

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: "frosted" cast bullets
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2017, 06:47:18 PM »
In my barn/shop there is about a hundred pounds or so of wheel weights and have smelted out around another 50# cast in ingots. I read somewhere that a 50/50 mix with pure lead make a good bullet for auto loaders. The pure wheel weight bullet makes pretty good dents in our hot rolled 3/8" targets except for light .38 special loads. Since mostly I shoot real Gun Powder and sometime percussion guns soft bullets are the order of the day. Just enough tin to make the lead fill out the rifle bullets. I don't get too anal about revolver bullet bases since minute of pie plate will work. My daughter shoots .38 special and i just buy those since she doesn't shoot that much and would rather ride pasture checking cattle when the weather is nice. So would I really but i am too broke down to cowboy any more.
At least that is my opinion and like you know what every one has one.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
  Bunk

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com