Author Topic: USFA, mod or not to mod?  (Read 4738 times)

Offline ROAnutz

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
USFA, mod or not to mod?
« on: June 03, 2016, 08:21:07 AM »
I have a USFA SAA in 38 spl in very nice shape. I was thinking about sending it to Long Hunter and have some tuning done on it. Action job, 11 degree forcing cone, barrel face squared, coil hand spring, etc. When USFA was alive, Long Hunter used to sell them new with this work done.

Anyone have an opinion on this? I'm wondering how much it helps. Also, is it a value add to the value of the gun or could it actually lower it?

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: USFA, mod or not to mod?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 08:34:12 AM »
When you describe it 'in very nice shape' - you describe a used revolver.

Adding those services you mention won't enhance the perceived value, but probably won't lower it, either, since it lost it's 'collectability factor' after the first non-factory cylinder full - forever making it 'used' and not 'factory-new', and serious collectors - who have the disposable income - won't be all 'that' interested.

All they'll do is decrease the thickness of your wallet.

Now, if you're wondering whether these modifications help with the performance, I'd suggest a lot more time invested in 'shooting' the piece, in order to decide that question from the standpoint of actual experience, rather than hearsay.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline texagun

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 08:47:26 AM »
I don't think the mods you mentioned would have any effect on the value of the gun at all.  Most of the USFA's that I've seen really don't need any of the work you mentioned.  They came out the factory in excellent condition.  If it would make you feel better to have the work performed on it, Taylor is a good choice to do the work.  I would personally send it to Jim Martin.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:30:30 AM »

45 Dragoon

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 10:42:25 AM »
I would second Jim Martin!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 08:59:53 PM »
My answer comes with Caveats.  Justification for the work your thinking about can be no more than you just want to have it done.
Your intended use of the guns is also a determining factor for honest advice.
If your going to take it out once in a while and roll cans with it, just change out the Main Spring for an after-market Main Spring and
call it done.

If your going to play CAS with it and shoot it a lot, the improvements you mention are very worthwhile.  Personally, my suggestions
run to the 11 degree forcing cone, a lighter main spring and the coil spring and plunger for the hand.  A certain amount of of
Rubbin-n-Buffin won't hurt either.

While very well made, if your going to run them for CAS, USFA need the same work as all the other SAs we tend to shoot.  Your gun
has been shot and will never be "As New In Box" ever again.  Since it will never draw the "Big Dollars," take it out and PLAY with it.

Coffinmaker

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 11:21:18 PM »
ROAnutz,
First off, welcome to the forum!
I am, pretty much, going to echo what Coffinmaker said.  Before you do anything I would install a lighter, Wolff mainspring and a Heinie wire bolt/trigger spring (both are available from Brownells and should cost you around $20).  You will be amazed at the difference it will make and it won't cost more than a few bucks and a half hour (at most) of your time.  If it is still not to your liking then consider sending it off for the work you described.
CJF

You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 12:33:47 AM »
For all the positive reasons mentioned previous I'd do it in a heart beat.

In fact I have several of the LH guns.  Those LH produced while working with USFA and  guns LH modified after production.  All great shooters.   I think  it is money well spent.

Jim Martin does wonderful work on any brand SAA.  But in this case with LH you have another good smith that has done literally hundreds if not thousands of USFA guns.  Coil hand spring conversion alone will make the gun a lot more reliable.

This is one of my favorite LH guns. 

"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 09:31:42 AM »
IMHO, this work is usually beneficial to any other make of sixgun but is generally unnecessary on a later domestic USFA. The guns are usually made right in the first place, which is why we all bought them instead of Italian replicas, Rugers and Colt's. Like most SA's they are usually very oversprung and this can make folks think they need an action job. In reality, they only need new springs. I would've never bought a USFA from Longhunter because I think all that work is a waste of money.

In 30yrs of shooting tens of thousands of rounds through traditional single actions, I've only broken one hand spring and that was on a friend's high mileage Colt Frontier Scout. While I might have a gun converted to a coil hand spring if I were having other work done, I wouldn't go out of my way to.

As for cutting the barrel and forcing cone, I would make absolutely sure the gun needed this work before doing it. It's usually beneficial on other guns, Rugers especially often have a forcing cone that is cut too deep. How does it shoot now?

I would STRONGLY suggest swapping the springs before doing anything else.
SASS #81,827

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 06:47:11 PM »
In 30yrs of shooting tens of thousands of rounds through traditional single actions, I've only broken one hand spring

For many shooting SASS ten thousand rounds isn't even a year's worth of shooting.  Two things likely to break on any SAA if you actually shoot them some.  Flat bolt springs (which I still use) and hand springs (which I rather not use in a carry or competition gun). 

Those two springs are the only things besides bad ammo that has ever put one of my SAAs out of action.  Obviously YMMV.
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 09:30:45 PM »
Did I say 10,000rds??? I said "tens of thousands", which is pretty vague because I've never kept a round count and don't like to tell stories. I do know that a good many of those years it was 20-30,000rds a year. Snapped a couple flat bolt/trigger springs but those usually get swapped for wire springs.
SASS #81,827

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com