Author Topic: No. 3 Russian PC Lanyard  (Read 2922 times)

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
No. 3 Russian PC Lanyard
« on: September 19, 2009, 02:12:14 PM »
I'd like to get a period correct lanyard for my No. 3 Russian.

I've done some research in texts I own with little result.  I cannot find if the Cossacks were issued or had a favorited material/color for the lanyards on their No. 3's.  I know many of the Cossacks were irregular infantry and supplied much of their own kit, so there may be many answers to my query.

I did find one interesting photo with a Cossack's lanyard secured around his neck, similar to a jewelry necklace.

If anyone has info on material, color and such, or details on Russian issue to regular troops, please share

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Gassaway

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: No. 3 Russian PC Lanyard
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 10:07:10 PM »
Not sure But I would think they would loop lanyard thru shooting hand are and secure on coats eppelet at top... most Euro armies did it that way in the time frame you are refering too.

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 12:36:21 PM »
When Lt. Churchill arrived in Cairo, in 1896, he realized that he had forgottne his pistol and "lucky silk lanyard."
So he bought an new fangled Mauser.  It served him well.

Not much help on what the Russians used, but a little insight to the lanyards of the era.

Books

G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:08:39 PM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 01:00:29 PM »
There are lanyards - and then there are lanyards.

Most European armies of the era up to, and including early WWII, differentiated between other ranks, as well as Non-Commissioned and Commissioned Officers, though the American Army didn't.

Then - there are the 'lanyards' that are merely 'ropes' of one construction or another - usually varnished or waxed - sometimes fitted with a sliding knot.

Ours were varnished and fitted with sliding knots and snap links, while Europeans seem to've merely looped through the loop.

The purpose was to retain the weapon in the event of running out of ammunition during a Cavalry attack, or when the saber was warranted during same - but 'that' didn't happen all that often.

The purpose of the floorplate lanyard loops on the Model 1911's magazines was to retain the magazine after it had run dry - and there are photos extant of pre-WWI Cavalry Troopers with several lanyards looped across their chests - and attached to both the weapon and to spares.

It was a short-lived issue, since tactics changed dramatically, though lanyards are still issued in the U.S. Army - notably for MP's.

If you're thinking of re-creating an Imperial Russian Impression - then look to publications done by 'Osprey's Men At Arms' series, since I seem to remember something dealing with that.

On the other hand - if you merely have a Number 3 Russian and are using it in context with the American frontier era - there's no need.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 02:15:59 PM »
There are lanyards - and then there are lanyards.

Most European armies of the era up to, and including early WWII, differentiated between other ranks, as well as Non-Commissioned and Commissioned Officers, though the American Army didn't.

Then - there are the 'lanyards' that are merely 'ropes' of one construction or another - usually varnished or waxed - sometimes fitted with a sliding knot.

Ours were varnished and fitted with sliding knots and snap links, while Europeans seem to've merely looped through the loop.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

So...if we were to attempt a recreation of Churchill's lanyard;  would be start with a silk cord like found at a drapery department?

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 07:09:03 PM »
It's likely Churchill's 'lucky silk lanyard' was a combination of silk and cotton - with silk being either woven through - or as a covering.

Re-creating it properly isn't going to be a whole lot of entertainment - just look for an original British Army lanyard - as provided to Commissioned Officers - since it's probably the style he originally had owned, and would've been more expensive than those issued to other ranks.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 11:12:36 PM »
Heres some that are wwI type I am not to sure they be too hard to make, just find the right color cord, tyr a jug knot in the loop end

http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php/products_id/2288
Mathew 5.9

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com