Author Topic: Useless knife  (Read 7464 times)

Offline pistol1911

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Useless knife
« on: September 08, 2010, 11:28:08 AM »
I had to have because of the price.Great display item.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 100
Re: Useless knife
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 12:13:15 PM »
I wouldn't say useless, just too pretty to use.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
Aw, what the hell.  I'll give you ten bucks for it and pay the shipping myself.  I reckon it'll do to slice cheese.  Besides, I like the way it looks.   ;)
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:41:20 AM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 02:43:56 PM »
A very nice piece.  With that said I will also add this, even though I know there are some here that don't agree with me, it ould be a very nice knife for a pre-Civil War personna, but the lack of documentation showing or mentioning folks carrying a specific fighting knife in this post-Civil War era most of us here depecit, in my mind makes it as out of place as a flint-lock pistol. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline pistol1911

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 03:33:05 PM »
I forgot to mention knife is 18 inches long with a 11.5 inch blade.

Offline KidTerico

• kidterico
  • Top Active Citizen
  • I,m to small to turn the other cheek.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 03:50:54 PM »
P 1911 that great looking knife. Good for you.KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Offline James-G

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 05:17:32 PM »
That looks Great.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 06:31:21 PM »

That is not a knife, that is a short sword *S* .... the sword the Roman soldiers carried, called a gladius, was only about 25" (60 cm) .... and the short dagger sword (Katana) of a two bladed Samurai was about 24" ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladius

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katana
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1164
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 07:46:06 PM »

That is not a knife, that is a short sword *S* .... the sword the Roman soldiers carried, called a gladius, was only about 25" (60 cm) .... and the short dagger sword (Katana) of a two bladed Samurai was about 24" ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladius

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katana

Good point, my Dear Wad-
not to cut too too fine a point, but the more appropriate Japanese blade comparison would be to the wakizashi (between about 1 and 2 feet in length) ,  shōtō , or kodachi  (also mentioned in the wiki article) . These are the blades considered "longer than a knife, but shorter than a sword".

The difficulty in distinction comes about through a combination of difficulty of interpreting the archaic Japanese phrases, and the specifications of the era. The most accurate things we have to use are the post Muromachi period edicts banning the carrying of blades longer than a specific length in the archaic traditional Japanese units of shaku, sun and bu.

The kodachi specifically is a shorter sword allowed to the merchant class, it;s length is between 1shakuー2sun and 2 shaku but limited to no more than 2 shaku in length. It has more curve and a longer handle than the wakazishi.

The wakizashi was made as a part of a matched pair: wakizashi & katana

And of course, the wakizashi, shoto, and katana, whilst conforming to general norms, were also made to the specifications or whim of both the maker and the buyer much as today :-)

The confusion is compounded by the fact that the Kanji these things are written in is often misread by us poor dumb gaijin.

for example:

kodachi, when written 小太刀 means little tachi

kodachi, when written 木太刀 means "wooden sword"

(the tachi is the archaic war sword, generally distinguished from the katana by a different curve and the fact that it is carrried edge down suspended by rings from a sword belt)

yhs
prof marv
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Regret Chancy

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS 3304, SASS 79990
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 07:26:23 PM »
   Thats an awesome looking piece. It only would fall into the useless category if it has no edge, will hold no edge, or is dull. Those categories describe a screwdriver in my opinion.
                                                                    Refret Chancy
"Aint nothing better than riding a fine horse into new country"

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 07:54:04 PM »
Professor,

As usual, I bow to your knowledge .... the  wakizashi was what I was thinking of ... the short 'sword' that was used for close in work and to parry a slicing from a sword that got by the Samurai's principal weapon ....I think it was used late in Samurai history in a two handed technique not unlike how a midieval person might use his dagger in a two handed technique to assist his rapier

I also think that those 'short swords' were what our modern katanas came from ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 04:25:06 PM »
Delmonico,

Teach me...

I love the look of this knife. Is there something about the shape of its blade that makes it not period-correct, or is it the construction material and size? If I (in my wildest dreams) had someone make a 7-9" blade shaped exactly like this but with non-Damascus steel and maybe a coffin handle, would it be PC?

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 09:07:40 PM »
Pistol1911,

The only thing I would comment about is that the snap is an obvious give-away. Snaps were not patented until sometime after 1900 ... I would talk to any of the excellent leatherworkers on our leatherworking site to have some kind of drawstring cinch put on as the safety on the knife .....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 09:47:27 PM »
Pistol1911,

The only thing I would comment about is that the snap is an obvious give-away. Snaps were not patented until sometime after 1900 ... I would talk to any of the excellent leatherworkers on our leatherworking site to have some kind of drawstring cinch put on as the safety on the knife .....

Wad , snaps came about in 1886, they were made in Germany, and were seen here before the end of the eighteen hundreds.

Regards

tEN wOLVES 
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 01:24:31 AM »
Ten Wolves,

Thanks for the correction; I was under the idea that snaps were not patented until affter 1920 ... don't know where I got that ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline pistol1911

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 09:38:34 AM »
Well maybe not totally useless.I cut up a whole ribeye yesterday.Knife worked well.The only reason I bought the knife was price,$75.I can make a buck or two by selling it at the next gun show.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 05:50:37 PM »
A nicer piece of leather work would help the price some.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 07:29:25 PM »
Delmonico,

Teach me...

I love the look of this knife. Is there something about the shape of its blade that makes it not period-correct, or is it the construction material and size? If I (in my wildest dreams) had someone make a 7-9" blade shaped exactly like this but with non-Damascus steel and maybe a coffin handle, would it be PC?

Besides the Damascus being pretty rare in the time period, it's more of a fighting knife.  After the revolver got popular the knife as a back up almost died out and tended to get much smaller in most cases.  This is pretty much true with Cacasions, Indians and esp those in the SW of Hispanic desent did more often carry a knife and tended to fight with it rather than a pistol. 

As for a smaller version that would be about the right size and shape for what most folks call a hunting knife, a jack of all trades, master of none, but a useful tool.  Even though not the ideal shape for all tasks a decent one to gut a deer, cut it up into eatable pieces, peel a few taters, cut a rope, or poles to build a shelter.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 09:03:04 AM »
Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com