Author Topic: The Truth About Knives 2005  (Read 4093 times)

Offline deforge1

• Citizen
    • DOUBLE EDGE FORGE
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Truth About Knives 2005
« on: March 09, 2010, 02:15:49 PM »
I was sitting and thinking the other day... (already taught the Beagle the finer points of clay pipe smoking) so I had time to think. What I thought about is when I heard that Michelangelo made David by just chipping away everything that didn’t look like David, I have heard this too from gun makers, take away everything that doesn’t look like a gun,,yadda..yadda..yadda..... Well, I don’t build guns and the only time I break a rock is when my gun flint takes a crap. I am a Bladesmith. It is my opinion and I have heard from good sources (a faerie and Gnome or two) that all knives (save but a few from Pakistan) are sentient beings, shy ones, but alive none the less. Knives love to hide in metal, at first copper and bronze were good places to hide, and later wrought iron, carbon steel and other malleable steels. I say malleable steel because a knife exposed by a grinder or milling machine has no soul and if it was alive and hiding in there, it was killed by the machine long before it was revealed and to a lesser extent the gas from a gas forge will kill nearly outright any knife. The only way to "expose" a knife critter is by heating his hiding place with a coal fire to a determined color (depending on the steel) and coaxing him out with hard to very gentle blows with properly applied hammer. The knife is generally quiet and quite enjoys the heat applied and thinks nothing of it when you lay him on the anvil, as it a comfortable and serviceable bed (for a knife) the surprise comes when you start in a hammerin’. If you are skilled enough the knife will be exposed with just a few blows, this is the best way, as a knife that was hammered on willy nilly will be a bit skittish and may bite you when you least expect it. The knife you expose will generally be glad to meet you, and will expect a few more gentle heatings and few more gentle taps to finesse it into his final shape and harden and temper his character to match his future job. The filing you do on the knife does nothing more than remove some of the former hiding place he had in the steel, if you know knives, this is a simple task and he will be able to tell you when he is "just right" Knives love wood... Antler and bone to a lesser extent to "dress him up a bit", but you have to ask what he prefers, the same way as the level of polishing. Some are rough and tumble types that just wants a quick slap on the anvil to remove the scale, others like to be polished up right shiny and even have a bit of gold or silver jewelry attached, but most like a bit of wood and a touch of pewter or mebby brass, but not too much. I always say "He" but the knives that run to the real fancy are more "She", kinda like Humans in that way, I guess. SO now you know the truth about knives. I think I will go out, light up a pipe with the Beagle and discuss this with her.....

Dennis Miles
DOUBLE EDGE FORGE 

;D
Dennis
Owner/Double Edge Forge
AMM Hiveranno #1622

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
Re: The Truth About Knives 2005
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 12:07:26 PM »
What a great way to look at knives!  You may be on to something, Double Edge!

I'm now of the same mindset, 'tho I'm not a bladesmith, just a tinkerer.  Thanks for posting this!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 12:25:46 PM »
I learned a lesson early in my LE career, not to grab knives by the blade when trying to disarm a suspect. I have a nice scar in the palm of my right hand to prove it.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:26:14 AM »

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 12:58:35 PM »
I learned a lesson early in my LE career, not to grab knives by the blade when trying to disarm a suspect. I have a nice scar in the palm of my right hand to prove it.

That was about bright. They didn’t train y’all better’n that in Texas? Ya catch bullets in yer teeth too?

Hey mods! Ain’t there a forum fer knives?
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 03:20:07 PM »
Nope, I never tried catching one in my teeth, but I did try and catch a couple with my hands.  Those things move pretty fast.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 03:47:34 PM »
Don’t think ya’d ah made it here as a cop, Tex. I needed smart folks what I could depend on ta do the job ‘n not show at the next roll call at less than 100%. The John Wayne syndrome would get ya stuck back in patrol doin' barkin' dog complaints in a heart beat.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 03:55:15 PM »
Don’t think ya’d ah made it here as a cop, Tex. I needed smart folks what I could depend on ta do the job ‘n not show at the next roll call at less than 100%. The John Wayne syndrome would get ya stuck back in patrol doin' barkin' dog complaints in a heart beat.

Arcey, old pard - he's kidding.  He would have been fine 'round your parts!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 05:46:08 PM »
Every rookie goes through a certain amount of the John Wayne syndrome. You learn from your mistakes. I had all my excitement within the first 3 years of service. The other 36 and a half was fairly uneventful. I never worked in a big Dept., till 84. I usually didn't have much backup.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 06:01:58 PM »
Had twice three years just handlin' dogs.

Ya always say a man should know his limitations. I did. Never tried ta take a knife from someone by grabbin' the blade. That was a mistake I didn't have to make ta learn it was a bad idea.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 06:38:45 PM »
I am in the market for a knife for my gunbelt. I need one with a 7 3/4 inch blade and 1 5/8 inch wide.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com