Author Topic: Wild Bunch .45 Manufacturer's  (Read 46942 times)

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

Wild Bunch .45 Manufacturer's
« on: April 05, 2010, 05:42:03 PM »
OK. Guess I'll be net to start a topic.

Wild Bunch .45 Manufacturer's. What's out there that's close?

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

Re: Wild Bunch .45 Manufacturer's
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 05:55:21 PM »
I saw this one. Real nice but way to much for a fantasy game. http://www.usfirearms.com/cat/1911.asp

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 07:25:51 PM »
EMF markets a basic 1911-A1 "GI" configuration gun that is made in the US.  They list it at $585.

Springfield Armory sell a basic "GI Expert" 1911-A1 that I've seen for as low as $525 on Gun Broker.  I just bought one of the stainless steel version less than two weeks ago.  It shoots extremely well and I'm tickled with it.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:47:49 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1231
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 03:44:55 PM »
Cimarron has a new GI model made by the folks that make the Rock Island Armory, with a little more authentic features.   I think the first shipment should be arriving any time now.  No info on their website yet except a little picture here:
http://cimarron-firearms.com/MAIN%20NEW%20ITEMS.htm
I believe they will only be available through distributors (Accusport, etc)

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 06:22:56 PM »
I picked up a Rock Island tactical, the GI model is very popular also.

Jefro
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 07:21:29 PM »
I picked up a Rock Island tactical, the GI model is very popular also.

Jefro

These are cast frames right?

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 07:44:53 PM »

I've been looking at the Springfield Armory's TRP 1911, being left handed, I want a gun that will be user friendly and at the same time be an accurate arm, the ambi safety is a big plus for me.

tEN wOLVES  :-\
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 09:28:24 PM »
Kimber rules! ;D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 08:04:27 AM »
I just saw a 1911 manufactured by High Standard.  Cabella's had it for just over $500.  I don't know anyone that has one, but it looked pretty good.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 08:35:57 AM »
Get a Colt.

You will spend a little more, but you will get a reliable firearm that will hold it's value (and probably appreciate in value if you take care of it.)

Everytime I shoot Wild Bunch, I get folks asking to borrow my Colt 1991a1 after they have functioning issues with their knock-off.  You can feed that gun any .45acp ammo and it runs like the wind.

Buying a semi-auto based on low-ball pricing can leave you with buyer's remorse.

I have four Colt 1911's and they all run flawlessly.

Ten Wolves:  If you are looking for a good ambi safety model, take a look a the Colt XSE.  I have a Colt XSE Rail Gun and it is my "go to" gun for home defense.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 10:15:10 AM »

Thanks Pancho, I'll take a look at the Colt XSE, I appreciate the heads up, I want to do it right the first time.

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 10:25:49 AM »
   Thanks Pancho, I'll take a look at the Colt XSE, I appreciate the heads up, I want to do it right the first time.

tEN wOLVES  :D

The XSE has all the modern "bells & whistles" (improved sights, ambi safety, improved grip safety, etc...) which makes it a very nice gun to shoot.  The imporved features will put you in the "Modern" class in Wild Bunch shooting.  Most Wild Bunch matches utilize local rules that divide shooters into a "traditional" class (1911 resembles the original 1911) and a "modern" class (1911 has modern modifications).

I have a stock 1991a1 I use to shoot Wild Bunch, but I enjoy shooting my XSE much more.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 10:39:43 AM »
The XSE has all the modern "bells & whistles" (improved sights, ambi safety, improved grip safety, etc...) which makes it a very nice gun to shoot.  The imporved features will put you in the "Modern" class in Wild Bunch shooting.  Most Wild Bunch matches utilize local rules that divide shooters into a "traditional" class (1911 resembles the original 1911) and a "modern" class (1911 has modern modifications).

I have a stock 1991a1 I use to shoot Wild Bunch, but I enjoy shooting my XSE much more.

Pancho

Pancho, this is what I've been dealing with, whether to stay with an older original style, or get the newer model 1911, when it comes to having a gun that will digest all the different ammo, it seems the newer models are the ones that do this the best, That's also why I stayed a wheel gun guy all these years, but it looks like this is a different day in time, and they are making better guns that go bang when you want them too, the newer models for the most part have the refinements if you are willing to pay a little more, I've talked to a lot of pards that say get the basic model and then build it the way you want, at this point of my life it would be easier to just get one set up the way I want from the get go.

Thanks for your input Pard

Offline Jed Cooper

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 03:38:49 PM »
Hi fellas, I don't shoot Wild Bunch, but I love 1911s. Colt makes one that looks, and is marked just like the original us army issue guns of the pre WW1 era. It's marketed as a 1918.  I bought the first one my friend got in his shop, and I love it. They run around a thousand dollars. As Pancho said, it will hold it's value well. Hope this helps,    Jed
"Jed Cooper" aka: Dave Hollandsworth

Olde Cop,  NCOWS #2841, Maker of BIG SMOKE, GAF #500
F&AM PM, NRA Life, FOP - Retired , BOLD #615,* Warthawg! ,Hirams Rangers #31, 1860 Henry #97, STORM#351
Marshal - Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society,
http://greatlakesfmc.home.insightbb.com/scarlet.htm
Posse Member - http://home.insightbb.com/~greatlakesfmc/index.htm

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
Everybody's not a rich retired COP like you. I'm justa poor ol cop on SS! and I can't afford those high dollar guns.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 04:35:11 PM »
Hi fellas, I don't shoot Wild Bunch, but I love 1911s. Colt makes one that looks, and is marked just like the original us army issue guns of the pre WW1 era. It's marketed as a 1918.  I bought the first one my friend got in his shop, and I love it. They run around a thousand dollars. As Poncho said, it will hold it's value well. Hope this helps,    Jed

Jed,

That pistol is one of the nicest guns to come out of Colt in a long time.  It is the most authentic reproduction pre-WW1 1911 out there.  I handled one and the fit and finish are great.  It is the ideal gun for Wild Bunch . . . but I'll bet most of them become safe queens. 

Here's a picture of one:

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

Offline Jed Cooper

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 04:44:28 PM »
Pancho, I don't care for safe queens. I shoot my toys. Took my 45 out for a test run right away. It had been awhile since I shot one without a beaver tail. Got a little slide pinch on the web of my hand. Fingerless shooting glove might be in order for long shooting sessions. These are way too much fun to leave in the safe. ;D   Jed

F&AM PM, NRA Life, FOP - Retired , BOLD #615,* Warthawg! ,Hirams Rangers #31, 1860 Henry #97, STORM#351

Offline Jed Cooper

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 04:48:13 PM »
Everybody's not a rich retired COP like you. I'm justa poor ol cop on SS! and I can't afford those high dollar guns.
Little Jimmy, I don't mind sharing though, bud. :) :D    Jed

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 05:52:47 PM »
I don't have an interest in 'Wild Bunch' shooting - it's too much like IPSC.

However - I've built a helluva lot of competition and concealed carry Government Models over time, and the more I modified them or added something 'mechanical' to one - the closer my own Government Model came back to stock.

The one I carry - and have carried for years - is a blued Colt Commercial 'pre-Series 70' (one of the last of the un-screwed with commercial Government Models) and until we were issued the M9 - it saw a lot of the world..

It has a GI-Issue National Match long trigger and a flat Gold Cup mainspring housing that I added a lanyard loop to - with plain, checkered WWI-diamond grips (though I have a pair of Ivory Micartas with my initials on one side and Jump Wings on the other).

It handles 'everything' that you can fit into the magazine...

You don't 'need' a lot of 'stuff'.

That additional money's best spent on more ammunition - but if you're a Lefty - 'you' can add an ambidexterous safety - though what you plan to do about releasing the slide or a magazine's up in the air - but if you can do 'that' with your shooting hand - you can also flick that safety.

My advice would be to borrow a stock Government Model and shoot it awhile - 'then' see what you need to do or if you need to do anything at all.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 06:46:57 PM »

tEN wOLVES,

I have a "family pic" of my Colt 1911's for comparison

Top Left:  Colt XSE Rail Gun w/ ivory micarta grips from Raasco.  (I think "Rail Gun" is a silly name, but Colt has a recent history of silly monikers for their pistols.)

Top Right:  Colt "Commando Edition" w/ ivory from Jim Alaimo.  This was a very limited run of guns with an officer slide over a full size frame.  Colt did a bunch of hybrids like the CCO back in the 90's.  I bought this with the idea of being a safe queen, but like Jed, I eventually shoot my toys.  It was my favorite till I got the XSE.  Again another silly name.  I don't know what is "Commando" about it, but it sure handles nicely.

Botton Left:  Colt 1991a1 w/ Herret skip check walnut grips.  This was the first run of 1991 series 80 guns.  I bought it my senior year in college.  It is my designated Wild Bunch gun.  It has a simple parkerized finish, plain iron sights and standard hammer.  Guestimate has over 4000 rounds down the tube and no problems.

Bottom Right:  Colt "New Agent" w/ Esmeralda cocobolo grips.  This has an aluminum compact frame, trench sights, and is a nice CCW.  It's my weekend carry gun when we venture into Dallas for dinner or entertainment.

Center:  Colt Mustang.  It's a .380, but it's still part of the family and it rides nicely in a pocket holster.

I've got no military or law enforcement background like St. George, Jed, & TLD, but from the stand point of a recreational and competition shooter, I do enjoy and trust these Browning designed and Colt manufactured American made guns.

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com