Author Topic: reloading .40-60  (Read 3263 times)

Offline dieselten

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
reloading .40-60
« on: February 20, 2008, 10:30:46 PM »
Hello,

I have a Chapparal 1876 in .40-60.  I want to load it using a 210 grain lead bullets with SPG lube and Goex Pinnacle FFg powder.  I have never tried Pinnacle before, has anyone else?  How did it work?

Also, does anyone know if the LEE die set sold by Buffalo Arms will work OK with the .406 diameter required in the Chapparal .40-60?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: reloading .40-60
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 10:57:30 PM »
Hello,

I have a Chapparal 1876 in .40-60.  I want to load it using a 210 grain lead bullets with SPG lube and Goex Pinnacle FFg powder.  I have never tried Pinnacle before, has anyone else?  How did it work?

Also, does anyone know if the LEE die set sold by Buffalo Arms will work OK with the .406 diameter required in the Chapparal .40-60?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Welcome dieselten,

I use Goex Pinnacle sometimes in both my 45-60 and also in my Sharps 45-70.  I like it!  One thing I have found it that it does not like a lot of compression.  Very light compression will produce consistent velocity and little or no fouling.  Cleans up with a couple of patches of Windex or tap water.  Another nice thing is that it works well with bullets lubed for smokeless or BP. :)

Can't help with the die question, as I don't shoot this caliber. ;D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline dieselten

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 03:41:26 PM »
Finally had a chance to get out to the range.  I shot the .40-60 with cut down 45-70 brass, a case full of Pinnacle 2f, card wad, and a 210 .406 dia. bullet from Buffalo Arms.  Took your advice and used about .020 compression. 

On the die set, I was wrong it is a Lyman (not Lee) and it worked perfect for the .406 diameter.  Bullets seated really snug and I used no crimp (easy on the brass!!).  Worked out great.

One small problem, when I got down to the last round in the magazine it would hitch and block the carrier from rising unless I angled the muzzle up a little to let the cartridge fall all the way back in the carrier.  When there was a round in the magazine, that would put pressure on the round in the carrier and make sure it was all the way back in the carrier for smooth operation.  I was using the Buffalo Arms 210 grain .406 bullet seated to 2.175.  Does anyone think if I seated out farther this might alleviate my problem?

Thanks

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:01:35 AM »

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 05:00:30 PM »

One small problem, when I got down to the last round in the magazine it would hitch and block the carrier from rising unless I angled the muzzle up a little to let the cartridge fall all the way back in the carrier.  When there was a round in the magazine, that would put pressure on the round in the carrier and make sure it was all the way back in the carrier for smooth operation.  I was using the Buffalo Arms 210 grain .406 bullet seated to 2.175.  Does anyone think if I seated out farther this might alleviate my problem?

Thanks

Yep!  OAL for this family of cartridges is 2.25 or there abouts. ;D  I just measured an original example at 2.265.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com