Author Topic: Starter revolvers  (Read 5057 times)

Offline Mountain_Man

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Starter revolvers
« on: February 12, 2013, 04:08:52 PM »
I am quite new to this and have taken in so much information it is somewhat overwelming.  I have been in contact with numerous people regarding getting first gun.  Single action army, Open top, Break top, the list is endless.  I am leaning toward the SA Frontier or the Model P 1873-1896.  Both are from Cimarron firearms.  A Scholfield would be nice, however since just srating out the cost is a little out of reach.  Does anyone have any insite of the best one for a newbe?

I also am looking for rifles as well.  I would like to have a period rifle that can be used for modern hunting also.  Is that possible?  If so does anyone have any information that could help in the choice?

thanks

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Re: Starter revolvers
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 05:29:40 PM »
Well, I don't personally have any Colt handguns, but the Richards-Mason Open-Top kinda take my fancy.  I like the grips on the Navy, but you would have to see for your self.  Feel for yourself.  As for rifles, the Winchester 1873 chambered in 45 Long Colt or in 44-40 Winchester was used for deer hunting from the time it was invented into modern times.  The Sharps works equally well in any of it's chamberings, and has plenty of killing power out to around 800(?)yds.     

If you want to span fifty years you could use my personal arsenal.  I have a 44 caliber Remington New model Army revolver and a Winchester model 1894 in 30 W.C.F. 

Just some information for ya'.

Have fun.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 06:52:01 PM »
As you said the variety of evolvers is mind boggling.  It really boils down to what you are intending to do with them. For just getting your feet wet purposes, a Uberti Cattleman or EMF Great Western II in .45 Colt would be a good start.  You could pair it up with a Rossi Mdl 92 in .45 colt that would make a good hunting rifle.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:35:02 PM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 09:28:59 PM »
If you want revolvers that you will keep and use forever & then pass them down to your heirs, get RUGER New Model Vaqueros.  They hardly ever break and will be your perpetual backups and loaners while you move on to your current favorite historical instrument of lead dispensing.

Don't invest until you visit a club and see what its really like.  Get some hands-on with many firearms before choosing.  The Pards you meet will be very friendly and helpful.

YEAH, Yeah!  I did notice that this is the COLT board :P :P  Still, Rugers are reliable.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 10:50:24 PM »
Sir Charles.  I would have recommended the Vaquero if he had indcated that he was going to use a pair of them in CAS competition - like you, knowing it was a Colt board - but his OP didn't lead me down that path.

Mountain Man, If you are planning on entering the world of CAS competition, I would highly suggest you get to as many matches and clubs that you can BEFORE you buy anything.  Try as many roifles, pistols and shotguns as you can before you buy.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 11:46:44 PM »
I have never shot a Ruger in CAS since I started in 1991.  I think shooting a Ruger in Western action is like making love to your sister.  It may feel good but I sure would not want anyone to know it.  Colt's are the real deal save your money and get the real thing.  I have been shooting the same 2 Colt's for over 40 yrs without any maintenance issues.

+++++ I have never used a Ruger in CAS/SASS competition. And I have never had a Colt, or clone break down in competition. I have seen the Ruger's leave a shooter unable to complete a stage on many occasion. That Xfer bar tends to break more so than a Colt bolt or hand spring.

Don't believe all the hype ya hear about a Ruger being Bullet-proof. ;)

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 09:56:55 AM »
I practice spinning and drawing with a Remington 1858, never had a problem.  I think I might be slightly biased though.  Back to the original question.  It all boils down to,  find one that fits your hand and is in a caliber you like.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 11:16:28 AM »

+++++ I have never used a Ruger in CAS/SASS competition. And I have never had a Colt, or clone break down in competition. I have seen the Ruger's leave a shooter unable to complete a stage on many occasion. That Xfer bar tends to break more so than a Colt bolt or hand spring.

Don't believe all the hype ya hear about a Ruger being Bullet-proof. ;)

I had my Single -Six stop on me; - once! That was because "the little plunger on the end of the cylinder pin that pushes on the hammer-block" got stuck.  If you clean the crud off the end of the base pin and work some light oil in around it you will not have it happen again. I have never had to take a Ruger to a gunsmith.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 12:01:11 AM »
I am quite new to this and have taken in so much information it is somewhat overwelming. 

I hear ya.  For me, it boiled down to practicality or what I want and love the most.  I have wanted a conversion revolver for 40 years or so.  At this stage of my life, why settle for what I ultimately cared less about?  So I was impractical and my first Cowboy Action piece, which I "just" acquired, was an 8 inch barreled .44 Colt RM Conversion.  It's beautiful the action is precise, the fit and finish are impeccable.  Just oredered ammo and will test the accuracy soon enough.  I'm leaning toward the less practical rifle to pick up first, but then again:  it's what I want.  I may never actually get out to shoot at a CAS match because I am simply too impractical in my choices.  But I'm happy.

My pistol has the army grips, I would not be as comfortable with anythiing smaller.  Definitely go to a match and try some guns out if at all possible. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 09:27:54 PM »
I have a RM Conversion in .44 Colt as well and I really like it.  I have a Henry that I pair it with and shoot the Working Cowboy Class in NCOWS.  I know what you mean about getting something you want, if you look in an earlier post you will see I finally found a 3rd Gen Colt .45 with a BP frame.  Enjoy your conversion, they are fun. 
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 10:34:17 PM »
I have a RM Conversion in .44 Colt as well and I really like it.  I have a Henry that I pair it with and shoot the Working Cowboy Class in NCOWS.  I know what you mean about getting something you want, if you look in an earlier post you will see I finally found a 3rd Gen Colt .45 with a BP frame.  Enjoy your conversion, they are fun. 

Yeah, I think the idea of finding a Yellowboy in .44 Special or an 1873 Winchetser repro, and setting it up for .44 Colt . . .Yeah, that is what I am leaning towards. 

I think though I'll buy an 1876 first simply because it's too cool.  I mean, come on--it's simply too damn cool. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 07:18:07 PM »
I had a '66 in .44 Spl but sold it too a buddy to get him started in NCOWS.  Currently 1876 Winchesters have an issue--availability of brass.  But as you said they have a HIGH cool factor.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 08:23:35 PM »
I had a '66 in .44 Spl but sold it too a buddy to get him started in NCOWS.  Currently 1876 Winchesters have an issue--availability of brass.  But as you said they have a HIGH cool factor.

That and I would use it to hunt and I like the idea of the loads available in the .45 calibers for hunting deer and pigs.  

Brass is supposed to be available again from Jamison in March for the .45-60 and .45-75, we shall see.  I might wait until someone reliable pushes out a couple tons of it (<cough> Starline).  

And they are waaaaay cool.  Did I mention that?

Oh, I did get a sweet (unbelievable really) deal on 250 .44 Colt loaded up from Black Dawge to start there.  I'm not that excited, I only wet myself twice.  
- Cole Younger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com