Author Topic: The Life and Death of the Almost Legendary Outlaw, M.T. Chamber  (Read 12216 times)

Offline M.T. Chamber

• Citizen
  • The old mare's slow but you can ride her all day!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Life and Death of the Almost Legendary Outlaw, M.T. Chamber
« on: October 21, 2008, 09:45:27 AM »

Some called him a bullet shy of a full load, those that knew him.  M.T. Chamber was born at a little bend in the Arkansas River called Wichita.  Wichita was home, at one time or another, to many legendary outlaws and lawmen but none less notable than M.T. Chamber.

The oldest of one, M.T. was the first, and only, child in his family to attend kindygarden.  Sadly, he was not cut out for public education, or any other scholarly endeavor for that matter, and was soon excreted for kissing all the little girls in the class and pulling their pigtails.  Heck, they wouldn’t kiss him otherwise.

As a young boy, not going to school and all, M.T. spent a lot of time at his grandpa’s farm out in western Kansas.  It was on the farm he learned to skin a catfish and shoot his first gun.  His grandpa gave him a single shot .410 gauge shotgun at the start of pheasant season when he turned thirteen.  Both his grandpa and his daddy knew better than to let M.T. carry a loaded gun. They let him hunt pheasant with them but, unbeknownst to poor M.T., his shotgun was never loaded.  He often wondered why his gun made no sound, and why he never got any pheasant.  When he inquired his daddy assured him there was nothing wrong with his gun, that he was just a lousy shot.

An idle mind being the Devil’s playground, it was no surprise when M.T. began hanging out with a pretty tough crowd.  It was a, then little known, band of hooligans that called themselves, the James Gang.  M.T. was younger than the Youngers and they wouldn’t let him go on robberies with them, mostly he just watered the horses.  Later he would leave the James Gang and strike out on his own to form a lesser known group of outlaws called, the M.T. Chamber Gang.

Legend has it that the first robbery the M.T. Chamber Gang ever attempted was the stagecoach that ran from Wichita to Dodge City.  One hot, windy afternoon they rode out of nowhere, hoopin’ and hollerin’, guns ablazin’, like a gang of Mexican bandits.  The stage might have stopped had the driver known they were behind him, but he couldn’t hear them.  It seems that no one in the M.T. Chamber Gang knew how to load a gun.  They chased the stagecoach all the way to Dodge City.  By the time they got there they were too tired to rob the stage and decided to have a drink down at the Long Branch Saloon.

It was there, in the Long Branch Saloon, that M.T. met the woman of his dreams.  Actually, he met two women of his dreams, Fannie Oakley and her younger sister Booty Hill (she had been married before).  M.T. couldn’t decide whether he liked Fannie or Booty the most.  He liked them both.  He would have married them both but they wouldn’t have it.  So, they decided to flip a coin.  Booty flipped the coin and M.T. called “heads” while it was still in the air.  It came up “tails” and M.T. ended up marrying Fannie.  Even after his marriage, he thought of Booty all the time. 

It might have been a match made in heaven; Fannie Oakley was an accomplished shooter in her own right.  Unfortunately, unlike M.T., Fannie kept her guns loaded.  One afternoon she was polishing his pistol when the headboard knocked over her shotgun.  It fell to the floor and discharged leaving a rather nasty and fatal gash in the side of his head.

While M.T. Chamber died that day, his memory lives on.  You may even have cursed his name yourself, if you’ve ever drawn your gun, taken dead aim on the target, pulled the trigger, and heard that awful deafening silence you hear after firing...an M.T. Chamber.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
Re: The Life and Death of the Almost Legendary Outlaw, M.T. Chamber
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 01:13:08 PM »
The only time I would worry about that would be if someone was shooting at me. That's why I carry a 17 shot Glock instead of a 6 shot Smith revolver.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 01:28:17 PM »
Almost jacket weather. The 26 with 12 goes in the safe. The 34 with 18 goes on the hip…
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Advertising

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 04:20:42 PM »
Lots O' Lead!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 05:33:21 PM »
Good stuff  ;D
Looking forward to the further mis-adventures  ;) of MT and Booty Hill  :o

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 07:10:58 PM »
Roger, It sounds like a never ending saga to me.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 07:49:42 PM »
 ;D  just wait till you know him  ::)

BTW I still need your address ..PM me so I can get it at work... your stick is ready  ;)

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 07:59:18 PM »
Quite a story.  The man seems ta have a penchant fer Booties an Fannies.  Good fer him. :D
     Just wish he hadn't died so early in the story. :'(

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline M.T. Chamber

• Citizen
  • The old mare's slow but you can ride her all day!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 09:06:21 PM »
Thanks for readin' my post fellas and Howdy.  M.T. Chamber did die young and I won't try to revive him.  It's usually better to let sleeping dogs lie.  There was however a brief span of time following the ill-fated robbery attempt of the Wichita to Dodge City Stagecoach and prior to Fannie Oakley accidentally shooting M.T. Chamber with her shotgun while polishing his pistol.  Enough time to attempt another daring robbery, this time of the Coffeyville Bank. 

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 10:22:30 PM »
MT, "A Man's gotta know his limitations".

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 10:55:10 PM »
Tex, an obsession with the female glutious maxamus makes a feller ferget his limitations right quick, and in some cases leads him ta takin a dirt nap.

Is that the moral?  Do I get a piece of candy?

Welcome MT, ain't none of us quite right in the head around here ;D

Leo

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 10:59:25 PM »
Great introduction............I take it your some kin to Russ T Chamber
Mathew 5.9

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 04:05:18 AM »
could be ...they went to different schools together  :P

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 05:58:54 AM »
Leo, Are you tryin' to tell us that you're a BUTT MAN?

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 07:13:39 AM »
There are several branches to the family.  ;D   In a previous incarnation I was Fully Loaded Chambers, but got tired of playin’ the town drunk. ::) ;D
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 07:47:12 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 11:10:05 AM »
A man's gottta know his limitations.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 11:31:23 AM »
Leo, Are you tryin' to tell us that you're a BUTT MAN?

Can't deny that I enjoyin lookin at em, but based on MT's story, I'd say he is the Master.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 06:25:11 PM »
We may have to call him a Past master, because of his untimely demise.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 09:08:52 PM »
Welcome to Tall Tales, M. T. Chamber.
Good story.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com