Author Topic: Hell on Wheels returns  (Read 8521 times)

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Major General, VIII Corps, Commander Middle Dept.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Savior of Washington D.C.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hell on Wheels returns
« on: August 02, 2012, 02:11:56 PM »
Retired USAF, 20 years defending my beloved nation
NRA Life, SUVCW, GAF#164, AF&AM, AASR

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Offline Creek Spencer

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Hell on Wheels returns
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 11:16:15 PM »
Looks like they are showing the first season all day and the new season premier that night. Such an awesome show!!

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 05:09:10 AM »
I picked up the season one box set at the local wholesale club for $15 and watched it over this past week.  I never saw a single episode during the season run, so it was all new to me.  It sure is a gritty, rather dirty portrayal.  The complete opposite of the style of western I grew up watching with my dad.  But I like it.

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:27:17 PM »

Offline Ranger Joe

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 08:25:45 AM »
I'm in the middle of watching the first series at present, and I'm enjoying it so far.

I tend to get annoyed by obvious anachronisms, and the only 'wrong' thing that's really jumped out at me is all the Winchester '66s.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 07:08:28 AM »
Well just be glad they aren't 92's.    ;D
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 100
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 03:38:35 PM »
I am enjoying the shows.   I guess I am getting so used to the non-period weapons that I just don't get riled up as much anymore.  They are semi-trying.   I do enjoy the side characters, the Swede, The preacher, the former NA Captive turned prostitute.  All good casting there.   Liked the story of the NA captive and had heard the story of Cynthia Parker, I got to looking more.   Look at Olive Oatman for a very obvious inspiration to this character. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_Oatman

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 09:19:27 PM »
I must be missing something.  How can 66 yellowboy's not be correct in post civil war railroad building out west?

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 09:59:04 PM »
I am guessing the timeframe to be 1866, and that is almost all I see anyone carrying.  I would expect more Henry's and Spencers and those would probably be out numbered by front stuffers and breach loaders.   My main issue was the brass farmed 1860 being the main side arm.  Fixed that this season though.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 05:14:47 AM »
I must be missing something.  How can 66 yellowboy's not be correct in post civil war railroad building out west?

George K. Walker (official Winchester historian from about 1905 to the 1940s Cody Museum)
wrote ...the very first shipment of Model '66 "Improved Henry" was Sept 15th. 1866.

This seems to counter John Parsons'  book, "The First Winchester"
Parsons wrote " comments by Winchester employees that the first domestic shipment went to Ora" Nebraska, in August 1867"
He also states the Henry & Mod. 66 were assembled "concurrently with the last remnants of Henry production."

Now my main issue is not the Mod. 66

Morgorilla said " brass farmed 1860 "   ( or the Brass framed Remington in Hatfield & McCoy's  )

My issue...was the "making of Video " were the Armorer/ Propmaster  states on tape !

the brass frame 1860 army he is holding and describing is a "Griswold & Gunnison"   ::)
All he shows is he "Knows nothing" or thinks his viewers don't   :-\

Either way he is WRONG !....  In "Guns of the Old West"  # 75 Fall 2012 latest issue,  They discuss the "Guns of Hell on Wheels"
The author and even the Actor addresses the obvious anachronism, skirts it and mentions the move to the Remington.
Dennis Adler states the Prop man could not find a Replica Griswold & Gunnison at the time of preproduction. So a Brass Frame 1860 was
made to look like G&G .... BULL HOCKY !

The Armorer/ Propmaster did not then, know squat, and bought the Brass Frame 1860's because they are cheap and he did not know better !
He proved that in his video, he had not done his research !
They change to the Remington after much comment was made ...even the Actor is quoted as to why, in Adler's GOTOW article.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 07:08:17 AM »
Yup.  It just gets me when the writers went to the trouble to do some research on the people and places and some Nimrod comes in and messes it up with poor research on the accoutrements.   I am enjoying the show. 

Bit of a spoiler

I really like the main actor and I unfortunately liked the actor playing the German butcher.  But about half way through the episode I realized I should not get too excited about him being in the cast. 

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 08:02:20 PM »
Ok, fair enough. 

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 02:45:31 PM »
Hey guys, it's just a made-for-TV series. Compared to some of the Hollywood pap in Costner's "Wyatt Earp" and other versions, it's pretty good. And the language isn't offensive. I still have my Regular Army vocabulary, but I don't regard foul language as entertainment.
It's damn tough to get funding for ANY movie making in Canada. Paul Gross pulled the bunny out of the hat a few times with "Due South", Passchendaele" and "Gunless". Even he got discouraged and is taking a break from movie production.

You know what they say - "Those that can't do, teach (or criticize). At least the makers responded to viewers criticisms. Now is they would only make better BP blanks .....

I'm pretty sure that I saw a Henry in one of the latest episodes, the one where they decided to arm the blacks. Any you can't fault the leather and the duds - no Hollywood fast draw rigs with leg tie downs and fancy store-bought clothes. Mount and Common both look like a good bath would be a good idea.

And the Norwegian gives me the creeps every time I see him ...... I'd shoot him just on principle.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 05:29:45 AM »
Pj  I'm not sure where your comment " "Those that can't do, teach (or criticize). " is directed.

I take no offence in any case.....

But to clear the air  "I can do", I have done...made living doing , and have the Film credits to show for it .

I'm impressed by the Production Designers and Art Directors, the sets & Engine Mock-up are very good....

I still say, the Armor & Propmaster made themselves as fools in their "Making of Video"
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 03:00:19 PM »
I liked the little double barrel percussion pistol Durant used in the last episode. 

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 08:03:17 PM »
Look for the appearance of a Gatling gun in the two hour final episode coming up ....

Considering the era, it would have to be an 1862 pattern that uses steel chamber inserts and .58 paper cartridges, right?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 05:32:42 PM »
I follow Hell On Wheels on Facebook. I subscribe to their page. I read recently that the have been picked up for season 3. Good news I am happy to share here.

Yesterday we had a HOW a thon. My daughter and her boyfriend had never watched any episode but the first. I let them watch all of season 1 yesterday to allow them to get into the show. I plan on letting them catch up when season 2 comes out on DVD. I know I will be adding it to my collection. I hope it comes out soon. I see that they are already advertising season 2 for sale on Itunes, but I am waiting until the DVD set is available.

One more show that I bet many here would love. It's only available on the BBC America channel. The show is called Copper. It is set in the 1864 -65 era. It is about a group of NYC police who are in the 5 points area of NY. I found the season 1 DVDs at best buy for $25.00. If you get a chance to buy it I would highly suggest it. A very good period piece. Here is a link to the preview:

I can't wait for season 3 of HOW and season 2 of Copper.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 05:50:13 PM »
I follow Hell On Wheels on Facebook. I subscribe to their page. I read recently that the have been picked up for season 3. Good news I am happy to share here.

Yesterday we had a HOW a thon. My daughter and her boyfriend had never watched any episode but the first. I let them watch all of season 1 yesterday to allow them to get into the show. I plan on letting them catch up when season 2 comes out on DVD. I know I will be adding it to my collection. I hope it comes out soon. I see that they are already advertising season 2 for sale on Itunes, but I am waiting until the DVD set is available.

One more show that I bet many here would love. It's only available on the BBC America channel. The show is called Copper. It is set in the 1864 -65 era. It is about a group of NYC police who are in the 5 points area of NY. I found the season 1 DVDs at best buy for $25.00. If you get a chance to buy it I would highly suggest it. A very good period piece. Here is a link to the preview:

I can't wait for season 3 of HOW and season 2 of Copper.

I'm into both Hell on Wheels and Copper also both excellent shows really.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 06:12:16 PM »
Yes they are. I'm seriously thinking of getting the Mediacom tier that has BBC America on it just to catch Copper when the new season starts up.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 01:25:51 PM »
I watched the first 2 1/2 episodes on BBCA and couldn't quite get into it.  I might have to give it another look if y'all say it's this good.  The good thing about the shows is that Copper followed HOW on Sunday nights.  I called it my 19th century evening. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com