Author Topic: For the afficianados of unique guns.  (Read 3497 times)

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
For the afficianados of unique guns.
« on: October 12, 2010, 09:16:23 AM »
So I stumbed onto this a few weeks ago.  A restored Whitney Phoenix.  The asking price was under the that of work that went into it.  Thought about it for a week, and said "Meh, I might find room for a .40-65 somewhere." 

This is what the guy sent me.

I'm sure that it was not a .40-65 to start with.  Am going to ring up the guy who refinished it and ask.  If just to sate my curiousity.  In my estimation, this piece was born a .40-50 Maynard or something.  One thing for sure, it shows promise as a fine shooter, and can steady the bigger .40's.

Does anyone have any "firearms not of the norm" to put up here?

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: For the afficianados of unique guns.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 10:02:21 AM »
I have a Whitney Rolling Block in 32-20.  No pics available, but it is a NICE rifle.
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 11:47:53 AM »
I bet.  I've never seen one, but thay say the Whitney "Improved" RB's are very nice.  I now a guy who has one and I must pester him to show me.  This unit makes a nice addition to my Whitney Kennedy repeater in .44 WCF.  I hope this is the start of a trend.  ;D

The best way I've found to describe this design is "Reminton RB meets a Snyder and has a bastard offspring."  :D

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:03:01 AM »

Offline Dusty Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 02:50:16 PM »
Seems I had an opportunity to buy an unrestored Whitney Phoenix in .40-65 some years back IIRC.

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 04:42:17 PM »
I bet.  I've never seen one, but thay say the Whitney "Improved" RB's are very nice.  I now a guy who has one and I must pester him to show me.  This unit makes a nice addition to my Whitney Kennedy repeater in .44 WCF.  I hope this is the start of a trend.  ;D

The best way I've found to describe this design is "Reminton RB meets a Snyder and has a bastard offspring."  :D
I agree with your description ,but will add ,a very well brought up bastard,very nice rifle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 12:59:16 AM »
Yeah.  Ha ha!

Just got home from a BPCR match where I took it to show off.  Everybody thought that it was pretty dandy.  I have to get some decent sights to shoot a match with it next season.  MVA in Montana can make some custom bases, so I might go with them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com