Author Topic: Sad day for Kansas Law Enforcement  (Read 5155 times)

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
Sad day for Kansas Law Enforcement
« on: January 19, 2005, 11:36:12 PM »
I received this from a good friend of Marshal'ette and I, the former sheriff of Elk County, Janet Harrington:

Today was a sad day for the law enforcement family and the citizens of Kansas.  We have lost our dear Greenwood County Sheriff Matt Samuels.

While trying to serve an arrest warrant this morning, Sheriff Samuels was shot and killed by the man he was trying to arrest.  Apparently two deputies and Sheriff Samuels were told that a man they were looking for was in a farm house about 6 miles north of Virgil Kansas. This is in the NE part of Greenwood County.

Sheriff Samuels, being the trusting bear of a man that he is, knocked on the door and when he entered the house asked for the suspect.  Samuels was told that the suspect was not there, but after the occupants were told that they were lying, Sheriff Samuels was shot with a .45 pistol just above the collar bone.

Samuels was killed instantly, but resuscitation efforts were attempted.  Three occupants of the house were arrested, but the shooter holed up inside the house.

Around 9:00 p.m., the Kansas Highway Patrol Swat team entered the farm house and took into the custody the man who shot Sheriff Samuels.  It was told to me that the SWAT team went inside with shields and the suspect shot at them 4 or 5 times.  Anyway, the suspect is in custody as are three other men.  It is my understanding that there was an active meth lab inside the house. 

Sheriff Samuels was a good friend of mine and a sheriff that I enjoyed serving with while I was sheriff.  Samuels started his law enforcement career in 1986 as a deputy for his dad, Sheriff Charlie Samuels.  Matt Samuels had just started his second term as sheriff. 

He leaves behind his wife, Tammy, who works at the El Dorado Correctional Facility, a son, Heath, and a daughter, Sharlee.  I think I got the daughter's name right.  I will miss him very much as will all of the citizens of Greenwood County and the law enforcement family of Kansas.
Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Offline West Longer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Sad day for Kansas Law Enforcement
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 12:22:41 AM »
Sorry too hear this Marshal.
Prayers sent out to Family and Friends.
Happy Trails & Shoots
West Longer

SASS 46427  LASSOOS #77
Bold 339       BOSS #143
Warthog
NRA
SUDDS #52
RATS #205
P.W.D.F.R. #114

Offline Sergeant Smokepole

• Dark Lord of The Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 05:30:41 AM »
Prayers, Up!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:51:11 AM »

Offline California Lawdawg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 10:30:05 PM »
Prayers upward bound.

Lawdawg

Offline kansasladysheriff

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 11:05:23 PM »
Marshal Halloway shared with me that he had posted my message on this forum hall.  Thank you for your prayers.  The family will need the prayers as they are God loving people and would do anything for anybody.  Sheriff Samuels was a person who always wanted to help everyone.  It was just in his nature to be a people person who would give you the shirt off of his back if you needed it or just asked for it.  Thanks for sharing and letting me share.

Offline Jon Spurlock

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 05:46:04 AM »
That sure is bad news.  Prayers up.
"Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago."

SASS #57357           RATS #158           
BOLD #375                      
Prayer Posse
BAHA #4