Author Topic: Henry transition model  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Henry transition model
« on: January 31, 2017, 01:31:36 PM »
Hello the camp!

My NIB 1860 Henry came in today and I was surprised to see it had been milled for a loading gate on side plate and front of frame.  They have dovetailed pieces in it to make it solid, but the faint line is visible. Anyone else have one like this?  It bothers me a little but not enough to send it back. I did get it about $200 to $300 cheaper than the others on GB. I did not think it hurts the aesethics enough to worry about it.

What is entailed in make by it a transitional besides milling the hole, an 1866 carrier, and a loading gate?
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Henry transition model
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 01:55:35 PM »
This was mentioned here previously.  That is actually a fine film that you can peel off. Don't feel bad because it fooled more than one of us.
Check out this thread: http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,57714.0.html

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 03:10:49 PM »
LOL!!!!!!  Thanks😄
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:36:18 AM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 06:37:25 PM »
Went back to the shop, and sure enough, the "loading port was merely tarnished area inside the hole in the film.  I'm going to have to polish that baby up with Brasso when I get it.  Wow, it was really, REALLY great to feel the Henry in my hands again.  Even if I didn't do CAS, I want one because Gus McCrae and Woodrow Call carried them in Lonesome Dove!  Can't pick it up until the 13th, because I am DROSing a WW2 .38 Special Victory model on the sam DROS.  I bought a new pistol (S&W 9mm Shield) on the 3rd of this month, and i can only do one pistol in 30 days in Californication.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 02:08:53 PM »
LAWMAN,

That isn't an ejection port.  It's where the "Kings Patent Loading Gate" goes.  The Henry "Transitional" that was marketed by Taylors and Co. used the actual, original, "Kings Patent" loading gate (now, Unobtaineum) rather than the more recognizable ladle.  To answer .....

The side plate must be cut for the loading gate and drilled for the retention screw.  The frame side must be cut for the loading port, beveled, and internal frame cut away for the cartridge guideway.  Then the Carrier Block has to have the side cut away and beveled to allow loading.  Last, you cut the thumb button off the follower, leaving a nub for a follower stop.  It all sounds pretty simple until you actually try to do it.  I've built several "Transitionals" and even have a series of photographs of the steps involved.  I actually need to have my forum agent (Major 2) post them for me.  I've never been able to post pix.

Coffinmaker

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 02:36:31 PM »
send them on...  :) Photo's

Funny thing....I sold my first Henry in 1988... :( :-[  :'(   .... "SHE"  ( da Boss lady ) the one that shall be obeyed ...yeah that one !

"SHE" surprised me in 1998-9 Christmas with my 2nd  :D

My 3rd an Iron frame came as trade for an Armi Sport Spencer I was liquidating. ;)

Then I decided to buy back ol # one  in 2008 ( had been a safe queen 20 years ) from the original purchaser
THE IDEA HERE WAS TO HAVE A Henry transition model  done by Happy Trails....

First Hap retired , then The Girls a Taylors were offering the Henry transition model  :-\  so the ol # 1 project got shelved.

Then I acquired # 4  from HRA a NIB  H011  1860....  if'n your counting that's 4 Henry's  :)

So when a guy ( friend  ::) wanted to Buy one , I sold ol # 1 again... I thought ...when the friend ( lower case intended ) couldn't or wouldn't  pay for it...It came home ...

I mention all this cause , I've been thinking Henry transition model project candidate...  again   :-\

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 04:13:14 PM »
Fixed it... "Loading port"  I've been dealing with Black Rifles too much lately, LOL.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com