Author Topic: wanting to start loading with bp  (Read 3666 times)

Offline msn_jrd

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
wanting to start loading with bp
« on: November 04, 2009, 08:35:30 AM »
I know the answers are here somewhere but there's just to much good info here to stay on track!
I am looking at buying a horndy lnl ap set up and thinking about going to bp as well because were there is a bang there  should be smoke and fire ;D But i am new to bp and reloading a not real sure on what all i need to load 38spl in bp i am shooting a 5.5" vaqero and a 20" 1892 hartford both in .357 so how would you load your 38s? I have heard enough good stuff about big lube boolits that i figure ill be useing them are they lubed when ya get them? do i need anything in there besides powder and a bullet in there and are normal smokeless primers used
Oh this may be a dump question but does any one use a case feeder with bp or would that be a no no haven't been around one so i dont really know how they have it working.

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
Re: wanting to start loading with bp
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 11:20:19 AM »
The Big Lubes come sized and lubed and ready to go. Just fill the case with enough powder so that you get a slight compression. I personally use regular primers, no need for magnums.  And don't see any reason not to use a case feeder.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Offline Doc O

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 12:05:10 PM »
I've gotten Snakebite from Slim before. He makes a good bullet w/good lube.
I beleave he will size them the size you prefer. But you should ask him about that.

Doc

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:51:19 PM »

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 12:41:25 PM »
JRD - the powder charge for a 38Spl will be 16gr FFFg @ 870fps using a 158gr bullet.
You can check it out at Goex's Loading Data link ... http://www.goexpowder.com/images/LoadCharts/Cartridge-Pistol-Revolvers.pdf
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 03:31:30 PM »
JRD - the powder charge for a 38Spl will be 16gr FFFg @ 870fps using a 158gr bullet.
You can check it out at Goex's Loading Data link ... http://www.goexpowder.com/images/LoadCharts/Cartridge-Pistol-Revolvers.pdf
Welcome _jrd, different powder brands and lots might not weigh the same amount for the same volume. I load the 38 with fffg Schuetzen, which is about 18gr, or about 1.2CC, with a 1/8'' compression. Just to confuse you a little more, the last batch of Schuetzen fffg weighed 17.5gr (about 1.2CC) for the same volume. Since we load by volume check out the thread by Driftwood "A Few Photos Illustrating How to Determine Powder Compression"
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,18257.0.html

Also check the Dark Arts at the top of the page for aloat FAQ.
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,82.0.html

The "search" feature also works great for specifics. I started with the Lee Classic Turret, but now use the Hornady LNL, both great presses. There is a learning curve to using a progressive press, try to find someone to help you get started. Good Luck.

Jefro
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline msn_jrd

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 10:01:44 PM »
Thanks alot guys!!! that really helps i do know a few guys that reload just no bp but im still going to have to go hang around with them for a little while

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 10:48:51 PM »
All of the above sounds good to me. Just to encourage you, don't make this stuff harder than it has to be. Black powder is probably easier and safer to load for than smokeless - at least for the ranges shot in CAS. You already have the advice you need, stop listening and just load the things.

To summarize:

.357, 38 sp, .38 long colt case doesn't matter, select what ever functions in your rifle well.

Pour in enough BP to hit the bottom of your bullet when it is seated, and then just a tad more so that you can feel it crush a bit when you seat the bullet.  Cut or file down a case that will scoop up that amount of powder, epoxy a nail onto it and you have a cheap powder scoop that works. Unlike smokeless you don't need to even measure it to some exact grain amount if you follow that recipe.

Select a bullet that has a couple or so grooves for lube and is soft, SOFT. no harder than 20-1.

Lube: if purchasing pre-lubed bullets make sure that a BP lube is used. If casting your own there are many fine recipes or you can buy something like SPG. But actually a simple tallow / Bees wax mixed 2 to 1 works. Melt it in a pan, set your bullets in it and when it hardens pull them out.

Powder: buy  any BP either 2f or 3f.

I have never seen primer type make a difference at the distance shot in CAS.

Have a great, great time. This stuff is easy. Baring smoking over your reloading bench you can't screw this stuff up.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Offline Fairshake

• Shooter of the HOLY BLACK
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 10:13:25 AM »
+1 on the post by J.Hunt. I will add that you need to buy some Ballistol so that you can clean and protect the guns after firing. They will clean with many different things including plain water but water won't protect against rust. I make my Moosemilk with 7 parts water to one part Ballistol. In other words mix 14 oz of water with 2 oz of Ballistol. Buy the liquid type in 16 oz cans for mixing. Put in spray bottle on gun cart in case you have to give a gun a quick spray to keep running. Use Mobil 1 Sythenic grease on your base pins and your revolvers will run an entire match with out problems.
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 08:39:37 PM »
Sure as shootin', you could blow yourself up with black powder.  However, you'd really have to work at it for that to happen.  In every way, aside from the actual handling of loose powder, black powder loading is WAY LESS critical than loading smokeless.  You can't over charge a black powder load.  There are no loading mistakes that will result in dangerous ammo.  If it fits in the gun, it's good to go.

I use a Hornady LnL for Black and believe it is the very best press for the job.  The regular occurrence of primer magazine detonation on Dillon presses makes them a less desirable choice for black powder.  Add to this the fact that you can put LnL linkage on the Hornady Black Powder measure and run it on the press, and you have the fastest route to making lots of .38 caliber ammo of the Holy Black persuasion.

I hand dip, but only because I have other "issues" in the load development of 38-40 cartridges.

I plan to start using my LnL to do production runs of .38 black powder loads in the upcoming year.  Just like you!!!!!!

Offline msn_jrd

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 09:25:56 PM »
wow even more good stuff nice to hear the load is not as critical
OK well I got what i think to be every thing i need on the way just hope the primers i finally found dont end up being out of stock even though they said they were there

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 05:57:39 AM »
In 'Sixguns' Elmer Keith recommended that shooters being loading Black Powder because you couldn't go wrong with it, fill er' up, jam a boolit on top and shoot. No suck thing as a double load (yer'd have to use two cases!).
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com