Author Topic: H&R 38/55 Target Model Problem - Help!!  (Read 10150 times)

38-72

H&R 38/55 Target Model Problem - Help!!
« on: March 26, 2007, 10:29:34 PM »
I am looking for ideas on how to fix a problem I have with my H&R 38/55 target model rifle.

I bought the gun new a few months ago.  I shoot lead bullets, so I slugged the bore, which ran about 379 to 380.  I had the neck area reamed out so I could shoot 380 bullets.

Loading data:  I use 240 grain, 380 diameter, Oregon Trail FN bullets, which are seated to an overall cartridge length so the bullet just barely touches the rifling.  I use 777 black powder substitute (enough to fill the case to the bottom of the bullet without compression).  I use a paper card (0.030 thick) between the powder and the base of the bullet.

Now for the problem:  At 25 yards, about half the bullets are going sideways thru the target.  The other half leave normal holes.  What the heck am I doing wrong?

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: H&R 38/55 Target Model Problem - Help!!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 10:40:14 PM »
I'd guess the bullets are not engaging the rifling quite enough.  If there is a bullet available that is .001 bigger?  Carefully check for leading???
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 10:49:28 PM »
Go to a soft lead bullet to allow it to bump up.  If it slugs anywhere near 0.380 then a 0.380 slug is two small, 0.381 or even 0.382 would be none to big with a hard cast store bought type.  I run a 0.379 over Nitro powder in a bore that slugs 0.377 in a 375 Winchester and it does great.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:57:22 PM »

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »
Bullets are too hard. Either go softer or bigger, if you can. Oregon Trail bullets are very hard, going by the ones I have seen.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 10:53:22 PM »
38-72 ... suspect that you are crimping the cases?  If so - don't.  Use about 0.002 neck tension only
Here's my method:
... Use a Universal Decapper
... Take the pin out of the decapper that came your dies.
Take a fire formed case (do not resize them) and adjust the decapper so it sizes the neck of the case to the 0.002 to the depth of a seated bullet

I shoot my El Cheapo will excellent groups out to 300yds.  Mine has these actuals:    •   0.374 bore and 0.378 grooves.  So, we are talking shallow grooves which LIKE a harder Bhn bullet with the 1:18 twist.  I shoot no bullets softer than Bhn 12, usually Bhn of 14-16

Favorite recipe:
Cases - fire formed only ... never resized.  Yes, my chamber is reamed out also
Fed 215 Primer
40gr FFFg sifted
0.3 dry felt wad
Lyman 378674
1187 fps
SD - 8
OAL: in the leading bore - dependent on case length
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 12:48:55 AM »
Bullets too hard and you need a bigger diameter too. I put a good crimp on mine and it shoots pretty well when I do my part. I had issues with a 45-70 and hard bullets and learned there. I use 20-1 stuff now in long range.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Offline sundance44`s

• SASS# 61233 and Alamo Kat SASS 79338 , ColdwaterLongRifles , HatchieRunLongRifles .NRA.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 05:12:10 PM »
You aren`t the first person I`ve heard complain about the H&R Buffalo in 38/55 putting bullets down range tumbleing ..I`ve heard it more than once ...It scared me into buying the 45/70 model ... never had the 45/70 tumble the bullets // but before I found a bullet that works great in the 45/70 model it took a lot of tries . I finally ended up with a lee casting mold in .459 dia 405 gr hollow base bullet ... It fixed all my greif plenty of room for lube too .... made a real tack driver out of mine .
These H&R toppers are a good rifle for the bucks ..just can the sights and replace with some that work  ..and find the right bullet , and you`ll really enjoy shooting her . I think there is some older post on here about fixing the bullet tumbleing act your haveing .
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Offline rifle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 12:51:04 AM »
you might check yer muzzle crown, check fer tight spot/spots in the barrel, use regular black powder or smokeless and get rid of the 777, try a 20-1 lead/tin alloy bullet.

38-72

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 09:36:04 AM »
First I want to thank everyone for your comments. 

And, second, I have some Great News!!! 

I tried a softer and heavier bullet, 380 diameter & 265 grains weight.  I loaded the case with 777 powder (just enough to touch the bullet base and loaded to the same over all length as before).  I loaded a few with standard rifle primers and a few more with standard large pistol primers.  I shot them at the same distance, 25 yards.  And, my final answer is:  NO MORE KEY HOLING.

I tried 2f vs 3f; there was very little difference between the two in the accuracy dept.  The big difference is in the primers.  For group size, the pistol primers ran circles around the rifle primers.  The loads with the rifle primers were grouping in the 3 to 4 inch range.  However, with the pistol primer loads, the group size was about 3/4 inch. 

I didn’t clean the bore between strings.  I wanted simulate a SASS match with lots of shots between cleaning.  The best groups came at the end of the testing.

I haven’t had the chance to test them at 100 yards, maybe this weekend. 

Offline sundance44`s

• SASS# 61233 and Alamo Kat SASS 79338 , ColdwaterLongRifles , HatchieRunLongRifles .NRA.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 03:45:24 PM »
Good to know there is a cure ...might make me pick one up at a gun show or something now ...thanks for the report .
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 12:20:31 PM »
Howdy, 38-72!

Glad ya found a cure.

"Happiness is a warm gun"

;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 06:43:25 PM »
I haven’t had the chance to test them at 100 yards, maybe this weekend.
38-72 ... Did you? And if so, how were the groups?
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 03:43:49 PM »
Sundance, I'm looking at the 38-55. I'll have it reamed. Where do you find acceptable sights for them?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com