Author Topic: KPC - Curds and cream, a quick dessert  (Read 3765 times)

Offline Bob Hurley

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
KPC - Curds and cream, a quick dessert
« on: February 22, 2006, 06:32:48 PM »
From Mrs. Mary Randolph's "The Virginia Housewife, or Methodical Cook", the author's preface is dated 1831, the book was first published in 1824.

"Curds and Cream

Turn one quart of milk as for the slip - let it stand until just before it is to be served: then take it up with a skimming dish, and lay it on a sieve - when the whey has drained off, put the curds in a dish, and surround them with cream - use sugar and nutmeg. These are Arcadian dishes: very delicious, cheap, and easily prepared. "

Modern redaction:

Drain some cottage cheese (not low-fat), place a mound in a bowl and pour heavy whipping cream around it. Sprinkle with sugar and nutmeg to taste. (I like mace better, the flavor seems a little brighter).

I know it sounds odd but it really is good and takes very little time to prepare.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
Re: KPC - Curds and cream, a quick dessert
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 09:42:21 AM »
Sounds good ta me. But, I got one question, what is "for the slip"?  ???

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline LazyK Pejay

• Top Active Citizen
  • "I'm ordering you to volunteer again Sgt. Tyree...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 10:35:09 AM »
"TO MAKE SLIPP-COAT-CHEESE
Master Phillips his Method and proportions in making slipp-coat Cheese, are these. Take six wine quarts of stroakings, and two quarts of Cream; mingle these well together, and let them stand in a bowl, till they are cold. Then power upon them three pints of boiling fair water, and mingle them well together; then let them stand, till they are almost cold, colder than milk warm. Then put to it a moderate quantity of Runnet, made with fair water (not whey, or any other thing then water; this is an important point), and let it stand till it come. Have a care not to break the Curds, nor ever to touch them with your hands, but only with your skimming dish. In due time lade the Curds with the dish, into a thin fine Napkin, held up by two persons, that the whey may run from them through the bunt of the Napkin, which you rowl gently about, that the Curds may dry without breaking. When the whey is well drained out, put the Curds as whole as you can into the Cheese-fat, upon a napkin, in the fat. Change the Napkin, and turn the Cheese every quarter of an hour, and less, for ten, twelve, or fourteen times; that is, still as soon as you perceive the Napkin wet with the whay running from the Curds. Then press it with a half pound weight for two or three hours. Then add half a pound more for as long time, then another half pound for as long, and lastly another half pound, which is two pounds in all; which weight must never be exceeded. The next day, (when about twenty four hours are past in all) salt your Cheese moderately with white Salt, and then turn it but three or four times a day, and keep it in a cotton cloth, which will make it mellow and sweet, not rank, and will preserve the coat smooth. It may be ready to eat in about twelve days. ...Thus for want of stroakings at London, you may take one part of Cream to five or six of morning milk, and for the rest proceed as with stroakings; and these will prove as good."

LazyK Pejay

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:33:33 AM »

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 11:17:23 AM »
They sure talked differently then.  ::)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com