Author Topic: Le Mat  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Caprock Louis

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Le Mat
« on: October 06, 2010, 12:26:42 PM »
  Curious has anyone besides me been crazy enough to purchase a Le Mat.
Recently picked up one of them.  Somehwat impressed with quality.  It is a Navy arms model some 12-13 years old.
Have not shot yet but do plan giving it a whirl.

Wonder what they would think if used a meet.  Well guess not but could nail 5 shots on target and one at shotgun He He.  Not legal I would think

Caprock Louis

Offline kurt250

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Le Mat
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 03:54:11 PM »
caprock, have one. got it about 6 years ago. shoots very well. never shot the shot gun barrel. be carfull with the loading lever. be sure you have it over the chamber not resting on the cyclinder. can bend the lever. other then that shoots great. kurt250

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 01:33:35 PM »
I have owned and shot one since the early 90's.  As pointed out above; it's easy to bend the loadinglever. 
I ended up replacing mine with a solid lever and added a colt-style leverlatch too.

Start with a .451" roundball over about 20 grains of 3F. 
I have also had good results with the .450" ogival pure lead bullet from a LEE mould over about 15 grains of 3F. 
Note that the replica has a "pyramid" shaped frontsight, while the originals had a "pinhead" profile (=a small sphere on top of the pyramid).  This usually helps bring the point-of-aim closer to the point-of-impact.
As to the shotgunbarrel: it is a lot of fun, and can be loaded with patched roundball, shot, buckshot, buck-and-ball, chainshot or a small stack of appropriate coins...!  I normally use no more than 40 grains of 3F in the shotgunbarrel.

I have found that for me the LeMat doesn't really lend itself to "Duelist-style" -shooting because of the slanted grip angle and the corresponding hammerspur... it's more conveniently cocked with the aid of the weak-hand. 
But it is one cool gun, and it has an interesting pedigree...!  8)
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:38:18 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com