Author Topic: Jonathan Browning rifle quality  (Read 23276 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Jonathan Browning rifle quality
« on: November 13, 2013, 08:20:42 PM »
Hello the camp!
      Does anyone here have experience with the Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle?  I've read good and bad about them on different forums.  I know they sure look good, but how do they shoot?
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Jonathan Browning rifle quality
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 12:18:23 AM »
Only handled one many years ago.  It was unbeatable. Single set trigger (push to set, pull to fire) takes some getting used to, and I'd throw the sights out...but I do that with almost all my rifles anyway.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 06:33:19 AM »
Hello the camp!
      Does anyone here have experience with the Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle?  I've read good and bad about them on different forums.  I know they sure look good, but how do they shoot?
Howdy Pard,the old Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle that I have has been up the trail and to the top of the mountain. You can look at it and see it has worked for a living.But it still look's good to me. All the JBMR, rifles that I have handeled were put together very well.The rifle I speak of is brass mounted brown barrel&lock .50 cal. ball gun. It does not seem to mind if you use a light charge or a heavy charge,as it is very accurate with either.The rifle is on the heavy side but makes up for it while shootin. It has a very nice fit to me and is rock steady. This very rifle is what I have chosen to hunt with for starter's this season. There is no doubt in my mind when it is called upon to down game ,that it will be up to the task,if I do my part.If you get a chance at owning one ,go for it . I dont think you would be dissapionted. And like( Fourty Rod )said the single set trigger is very nice. That's my take on the Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle,,,,Dusty

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:34:01 PM »

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 07:55:57 AM »
Here is a pic. of my JBMR,,,,,,,,,Dusty

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 08:43:25 AM »
Very nice!  I think I'm going to have to look for one.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 10:02:14 AM »
The one I shot was a .50, but I have a friend with a .54 and he loves his, too.

If I hadn't bought my Lyman first I might have opted for the JBMR.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 11:54:07 AM »
Forty Rod, one of my old shootin buddy's has a Lyman GPR in 50. When he drop's the hammer on it ,somthin is getting hit real hard. And they are looker's to ,,,Dusty

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 10:20:31 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I love my GPR .50.  It will be with me until I die and then my grandson will carry it.  It's beautiful, classy, accurate, and hard hitting rifle with marvelous looks and great reliability.

It had a couple of quirks when I got it (the atrocious sights were the first to go) but I had it sorted out in under a week.

I've owned it now for almost 36 years.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 02:12:42 AM »
Generally heard good things about the JBMR, but never owned one.  Had a .50 Lyman GPR for many years also and was always mighty pleased with it. I let it go when I mostly stopped shooting muzzle-loaders, and have regretted it ever since.

Mind you, a couple of years back I got a hell of a deal from a friend on this semi-custom (TOTW parts) plains rifle - in a hefty .62 caliber (.... now that's a chunk of lead! ....) and couldn't pass it up -

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 06:50:23 AM »
RattlesnakeJack that is my dream - gun. That .62 cal. should make for a well ballanced rifle.The .62 cal. for a big game rifle,You Cant Go Better.,,,,,,Dusty

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 01:29:35 PM »
RattlesnakeJack that is my dream - gun. That .62 cal. should make for a well ballanced rifle.The .62 cal. for a big game rifle,You Cant Go Better.,,,,,,Dusty

It does balance beautifully, although it is a heavy beast .... I sure wouldn't want to pack it around all day, even though I am a big man.  I suspect that is why my friend decided to sell it, as he is considerably shorter and lighter built.

When I disposed of many of my muzzle-loaders I did retain my .50 caliber Dixie Gun Works Tennessee Mountain Rifle - sadly long out of production.   I got it in the flintlock version, with the conversion percussion lock with drum and nipple.  Great rifle also -

Actually, Dale, if you can track down an available used example of either of these other "production" rifles (i.e. either the Lyman Great Plains or the Dixie Tennessee Mountain) either would serve you well!
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 09:45:17 PM »
I've got a Lyman Great Plains kit that I'll probably try to build this winter, time permitting.  I really like those Brownings, though!

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 02:33:15 PM »
Okay, now it looks like I'm going to have a Great Plains kit for sale since I just scored a Browning Mountain Rifle.  The only down side is that it's in that puny fifty caliber!  (The Great Plains kit is a .54.)

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 03:09:08 PM »
Sound's good Niederlander,think you are gonna like it. Load it up until you hear the crack! She will shoot like lightning fer Ya. Oh and tell me what you think about that set trigger,Pard.,,,,,,,Dusty

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 03:32:52 PM »
The average long rifle from Colonial times was .50 to .55 cal.
This info is based on surviving gunsmith records form Colonial Williamsburg, VA.
By the time of the great plains rifles, the barrels had become somewhat shorter and slightly heavier in diameter. than was common in Colonial times.
I hope this info helps.
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 12:56:01 PM »
The old JBMR, has been loaded for about three wk's .Since the start of hunting season. Decided to shoot her today and clean the bore and reload . Ready for the hunt. The bottom target was @ 50yd. The top target was @ 100yd. Never get tired of shooting the old Rifle. Load was 90 gr. 2ff Swiss .490 rb.thin coton patch ,lubed with dried on Murphy,s oil soap. ,,,,,,Dusty

Offline BlackHillsScout

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 08:09:13 PM »
Very nice rifles.
I saw a Browning about 15 years ago, he wouldn't part with it.

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2013, 11:10:10 AM »
I too am a fan of the JBMR. I have the steel .50 cal. version. I love the single set trigger and the rams horn. The quality on mine is great. Nice wood and the fit and finish is first rate. It's a good shooter too.  I checked my records and see I bought it for $275.00 from Midway Arms ( now Midway USA) in 1983.  JW
Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2013, 12:27:23 PM »
A different time.  I had to pay $450 for mine, used.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 10:53:34 AM »
After dreaming of a JBMR for years, I lucked on to a very nice one in .50 calibre. I shot it twice and sold it.

I liked the look and feel, but found it excessively heavy for the calibre. I did like the ram's head curl of the nipple snail, but the small clean out screw on mine was seized.
I had considered it for hunting, but decided that I couldn't carry it any distance on foot without a) lengthening one arm or b) wearing a groove in one shoulder. My P-H Enfields carry much easier, have slings and I shoot them better than I did the Browning.

I sold it for exactly what I paid for it - $750. The new owner shoots it from the bench and is delighted with it.
Now a friend is trying to sell me a unique rifle - a Pedersoli "Gemmer" Sharps in 45-70. Looks very much like a Hawken rifle with it's ram rod, sights and curled trigger guard. It's as nicely put together as any of my Shiloh rifles.

I'm temped it, but again, I find it much too heavy for hunting and I'm not into bench shooting any rifle.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com