Author Topic: Plum Brown Vs Rust Browning  (Read 6263 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Plum Brown Vs Rust Browning
« on: February 22, 2013, 09:01:23 AM »
Hi,

I have not a clue as to the finish of this Pistol ... I am told all Lyman pistols are blued from the factory ... but this one looks brown.

The problem is that I have removed the 'Belt Hook' (#16) and replaced it with the metal colored "Lock Screw Bushing' (#17)

I would like to stain/die the lock screw bushing to match the rest of the gun .....

Any thoughts?

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/lyman_blackpowder.pdf    Look at page 34....

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
Re: Plum Brow Vs Rust Browning
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 10:16:15 AM »
WWE; I'd say suit your fancy.  Either one would be as historical as the other.  If it were mine, but I already have my own, I'd opt for brown.  Only downer might be that browning requires more repeated applications.  But time isn't always money when you do it yourself.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 07:23:03 PM »
Sir Charles,

I just went on the DGW  website: I will be picking up the small bottle about 1 Msr.... for the small parts that I need to doI think the small bottle should work ... at $10 /bottle, i t is definitely within my budget ... *S*

TTFN

I also understand I will need a propane blowtorch an a couple of bottles of propane ...

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Advertising

Re: Plum Brown Vs Rust Browning
« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:59:31 AM »

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 08:36:07 PM »
The last time I tried this which was a while back, a small bottle browned and entire flint lock rifle and had some left over.
Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 09:07:42 AM »
Tascosa Joe,

Great! 

TTFN,

NCOWS #3403

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 12:28:14 PM »
probably won't need that much propane either. If you have a gas stove in your kitchen, that might work for such a small part.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 09:13:08 PM »
Pony Express,

It will probably take a week for DGW to get the stuff out here to the left coast .... so I have time to pick one up ... and a propane torch is something that I have always meant to get ...

TTFN,

NCOWS #3403

Offline Jamestown John

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Active citizen
  • SASS #: 91158
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 12:49:22 AM »
I have the burner. One tank of propane is more than enough!
Let's do it!
JJ
Jamestown John

STORM #186
American Plainsmen Society #18

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 10:51:22 PM »
HI,

I think i am going to try and heat it up on my BBQ (it sould take the heat).

Normally I would go to a surplus shop and buy about a square foot of Asbestos .... but since that is a no-no, does anyone have some suggestions?

TTFN,

NCOWS #3403

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1164
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 11:56:01 PM »
Greetings My Good Wad -
the bbq should be plenty of heat, you only need to get it hot enough for a little "sizzle" - ie ~ 200-220 deg; you are not trying to heat treat or draw the temper!

WhyForPrayTell would you require asbestos? the browing process is essentially heat-and-chemical enhanced speed-rust.  One is merely trying heat up the barrel , thus yours truly wonders whatever art thou trying to shield from the heat?

yhs
prof (brown) marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 12:22:25 AM »
Professore,

My grill is old, greasy and has half inch gaps between the bars ... the right size for a burger but  not for a half inch part ... so I figured a one foot by on e foot piece of asbestos would kill two birds with one stone ... give the part a clean place to sit and keep the 1/2" piece ... perhaps a piece of 1/4"Boilerplate?

NCOWS #3403

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 09:57:54 AM »
I used Plum Brown and heated a Great Plains rifle barrel by running hot tap water through it.  I wiped the Plum Brown on with a clean cotton cloth.  Took about five applications with "carding" (Using brown industrial paper towels) and re-degreasing after each one.  Oiled it after the last one and re-oiled about four times, two days apart.  It comes out nearly black when done. That was in 1979 and it still looks great.

Did all the other metal on that gun and a few others since with the same results.

You don't need too much equipment and it is possible to "over think" the whole thing.

Note: be certain you have completely and thoroughly degreased the metal.  A thumbprint can find you cussing up a storm as you start all over from scratch.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 03:26:56 PM »
Hi Forty Rod.

Thanks for the warning about prints ... I will be sure to use my nitrile gloves when I do it ...

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com