Author Topic: How To Aim?  (Read 11059 times)

Offline 4Fingers

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How To Aim?
« on: August 29, 2011, 06:03:44 PM »
I found a very nice local outdoor range and today fired my brand new Ruger New Vaqueros in 7.5" and 5.5" barrels.  The line I was on was 15 Yards.  Once I got familar with the feel and heft and recoil I was managing to put holes on line vertically with the center of the target.  However, I was shooting anywhere from 10 to 12 inches above and the same amount below target center.....and everywhere in between, including bullseyes.  

I'm accustomed to shooting semi-autos with normal combat sights.  The very tall blade on the front and the trench at the rear has got me confused.  Assuming my guns shoot straight where should I be putting the top of the blade in relation to the rear groove on the gun?  I may be wrong but my impression was that when I buried the front sight so the top of it was close to the bottom of the rear groove I was hitting in or near dead center.  Does that sound about right or should I try something else?

Thanks,

4F

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 170
Re: How To Aim?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 06:27:38 PM »
Tops of the sites should line up straight across. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline 4Fingers

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 06:33:08 PM »
Tops of the sites should line up straight across. WM

So.....the top of the front blade should be level with the top of the rear groove(rather than the bottom of the rear groove)?

Thanks,

4F

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:24:44 AM »

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 06:54:52 PM »
Should work that way, as far as I know Vaqueros should be dead on at 15 yards.
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline 4Fingers

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 07:53:32 PM »
Should work that way, as far as I know Vaqueros should be dead on at 15 yards.

Terrific.....thanks!

4F

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 09:12:06 PM »
Yup. Center the front sight in the rear sight groove. Top of the front sight even with the top of the rear sight.

Then place that picture at the same point on the target every time and see where it hits.

When I am sighting in a new gun I like to use a 6 O'Clock hold until I know where the gun is shooting. Top of the sights level with the 6 O'Clock position on the bulls eye. It's just because it is easier to reproduce this sight picture over and over again than trying to determine exactly where the center of the bulls eye is.

Once I know where the gun is printing, I may adjust my hold.

Frankly, you should be doing the same thing with a semi-auto if it has any type of front sight blade and a rear sight groove. Can't speak about those fancy modern guns with all kinds of fancy modern sights and doodads.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline bowiemaker

• Maker of sharp pointy things
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Carter Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 09:32:15 PM »
Vaquero sights are set at the factory for 15 yards.
NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

Offline LoneRider

• Top Active Citizen
  • Silver Screen Hero
    • LoneRider Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 01:04:55 AM »
Y'all use the sights??? ::)
Happy Trails

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 04:32:42 AM »
Only till I start shootin.  :P WM

Offline Jamie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 08:48:16 AM »
Just a quick comment on the vertical stringing - when I try to adjust the vertical point of impact by putting the top of the blade low (or high) relative to the top of the rear sight (mind you Elmer Keith could do it with aplomb) I get vertical stringing.  I assume that it's because the top of the front sight has no consistent relativity to the one point of reference - the top of the rear sight.  Even burying it so it just shows at the bottom of the rear sight is no where near as consistent for the eyes as lining it up even with the top of the two sides of the rear sight.  That's my assumption anyway...
Jamie 

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 10:41:06 AM »
Personally, I hold the top of the front sight above the top of the topstrap (top of the groove).  How much I can't really say, as I have done it for so long that I automatically get the elevation right.  My Old Model Vaqueros shot about 6-inches low at 25 yds, and I file the front sight down until I get centered at 25 yds, but using a center hold on the target. Ruger used to make the front sight blade on the OMV's a bit taller to permit the shooter to file down the front blade as desired. (Sighting in is done resting my forearms, NOT the butt of the gun or the bottom edges of my hands. Also, I shoot Duelist, so I sight in one-handed. I shoot, file, shoot, file, etc.)

The weirdness of this technique notwithstanding, the point is, no matter how you hold, "consistancy" is the key word. Also, whatever works for you is what you should be doing.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 11:14:22 AM »
Howdy Again

I'd like to know where you guys came up with that 15 yard figure. Point of impact is going to vary with a whole bunch of factors, including caliber, bullet weight, and velocity. So with exactly what load is what caliber Vaquero sighted in for 15 yards?
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Offline Dances With Coyotes

• Dark Lord of the Soot apprentice
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 11:56:36 AM »
Y'all use the sights??? ::)

Thats what I was thinking.
All you need is love and a .45

Offline bowiemaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Carter Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 12:17:26 PM »
The 15 yards spec comes from the owners manual for the Ruger New Vaquero, page 26

"FIXED SIGHTS
RUGER® NEW VAQUERO® revolvers feature a blade front sight and a fixed
rear sight. They are factory set to be on target at 15 yards."
NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 05:50:17 PM »
Interesting

FIXED SIGHTS
RUGER® VAQUERO & BISLEY VAQUERO revolvers feature a blade
front sight and a fixed rear sight. They are factory set to be on target at 25 yards.

Page 24

This surprises me because as Driftwood stated POI will vary will vary often by quite a lot depending on the items that he stated.  I can't believe that they didn't qualify that statement with the ammo that they "sighted" with. ???
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 06:57:18 PM »
Just dug out one of four Ruger instruction manuals that I have.Page 26, quote "FIXED SIGHTS  RUGER NEW VAQUERO revolvers feature a fixed blade front and a fixed rear sight. They are factory set to be on target at 15 yards." WM

Offline bowiemaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Carter Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 07:14:03 PM »
It is interesting that Ruger sighted the old Vaquero to 25 yards and the New Vaquero to 15 yards. It would be good to know what ammo they use to spec them.
NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 07:31:02 PM »
I have shot a load as light as 20g 2f and as heavy as 35 gs 2f in my New Vaqueros at 15 yards there is very little difference in point of impact. The reason for the sighting in at 15 yards is the same reason for the lightened springs and beveled front edge of the cylinder. Cowboy Action Shooting. WM

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 07:40:47 AM »
I believe that you will see a more variance in POI between bullet weights than between power adjustments.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 09:07:06 AM »
Howdy Again

Learn something every day. Yup, the manuals say that the Vaquero is sighted in for 25 yards and the New Vaquero is sighted in for 15 yards.

I'm gonna have to try that out one of these days with a bunch of different ammo and see.

The old time term for this was 'regulated'. Manufacturers were said to have regulated the sights to hit at a certain distance. I seem to recall that the Colt SAA was regulated to hit POA at quite a long distance for a pistol, can't quite recall now, but maybe 50 yards or something. Maybe more.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com