Author Topic: New in town  (Read 4816 times)

Offline Fly Cop Fry

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New in town
« on: October 27, 2005, 12:12:14 AM »
Howdy,

I've been reading over all the yarn swapping that has been going on so thought it best that I step in and say hello.

I"m not a SASS member yet (that qualifier means I'll probably do so) but I want to hear some opinions on where I think I'm going in the sport. In real life I'm going past 62, recently retired and haven't been a shooter for some 40 years. Have no guns, no western gear - but have an interest.

I was born 100 yrs to soon but feel that my life would have moved somewhat along the same lines so my character will be a townie in the 1880-1890 period. My home will be in one of the larger western cities of the period but I'll travel a lot - buggy, stage and train - not much hoseback. I'll probably carry twin Cimarron Model P Jr's .38s in double shoulder holsters. Will have a Cimarron 1866 also in .38 and a Stoeger 20 gage SxS along to fill out the arsenal. Clothes will tend to be townie - low top shoes and sack suits with a change of hats from time to time.

I am looking for comments on this collection of guns, my persona or any other comments you may have to help me get started CAS.

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
Re: New in town
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 01:21:47 AM »
Howdy and welcome to Cas City.

You are heading for some great fun and since you are living in Sparks, Nevada, you are pretty close to the Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association. Look up http://www.nevadacas.com/rccsa.htm for more info.

They shoot at the Washoe County Regional Shooting Facility,  22 miles North of Sparks on Pyramid Lake Highway. Their next shoot is on November 13th, 2005 and the best advise I can give you as a step one, is to set aside this day to visit and see with your own eyes what this sport is all about. You will definetely receive some feedback there on guns and gear.

The club contact, Russ T. Chambers, also walks the streets here in Cas City and will be more than willing to guide you through the gates to a wonderful sport.

Good to have you with us, pard.

Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 11:32:08 AM »
Your emule address don't seem to be workin', send me an emule and we'll talk!
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:18:28 AM »

Offline Fly Cop Fry

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 07:48:16 PM »
Thanks Marshall for pointing me to Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association and the warm welcome!

However, the bigger THANKS goes to Rust T. Chambers for taking this ol' greenhorn by the hand at todays match. He devoted his day to answering questions and then walked me through the shooting a stage.( This was shooting Holy Black by the way, he is trying to entice me to the Darkside.) He also went out of his way to pick me up and bring me back from the range since I was afoot. Beyond the call of duty! The whole Posse was nothing but kind and helpfull.

Answerered a lot of questions and added a few more that I need to study on. But,I think that this a game that I want to play I just need to find the money/equipment to play with. ;D

I may even have a true alias soon rather than my internet signon. :-\

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 07:52:52 PM »
Thanks Marshall for pointing me to Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association and the warm welcome!

You are more than welcome, Blue Ra and I am glad you got in touch with Rust T. You are in good hands. Feel free to share the questions you are studying on. No need to get yourself a headache having them all to yourself...  :D
Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 08:42:46 PM »
By all means, ask away. Might as well take advantage of the fount of knowledge that resides on these fora. For most questions, if we can't come up with the answer, there probably isn't one.........Buck 8) ::) ;) ;D
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Fly Cop Fry

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 06:11:45 PM »
Marshall & Four-Eyed Buck,

Thanks for the continued offer to help! The questions that I'm pondering on now are not to be answered by more information but rather by ME making decisions. You can give me information which this Forum and the good pards on it have done now I must make the choices.

If there were only one answer to my questions then everyone would dress the same, shoot the same guns, use the same cartridges and  have the same goals in the sport and it would soon die. I'm happy to see that there is probably a place for me even if I make the "wrong" choice. ;D

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 10:59:46 AM »
Blue Ra/Marshall H
Glad to have been able to help Blue Ra in his venture into our sport.  He was great, and as his last post shows, he is adaptable. 
Has his persona in mind, but says he needs to think on it some more. 
Has his calibers fairly figured out, and needs to come up with his shotgun and rifle styles.  Got a got leg up on his direction.
As he said, he was introduced to the Darkside, but I had planned on having some smokeless loads for my .45s, but they weren’t in the gun box like I thought they were (showed up later in one of my cleaning/ammo boxes).  The only comparison he got was on the shotgun, which he said was easier on the recoil with BP rather than the smokeless loads I had.
I’m happy he had an enjoyable time, and hope to see him back, shooting!!!
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com