Author Topic: Cowboys & Aliens  (Read 8047 times)

Offline Two-Step

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cowboys & Aliens
« on: July 19, 2011, 01:40:50 PM »
Okay, it was bound to happen eventually... I am just not to sure how I feel about it.
Yes, I will most likely go and see the movie and I will try my best to keep an open mind and allow myself to be entertained.

IMBd link
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409847/

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
Re: Cowboys & Aliens
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 07:35:49 PM »
I plan on going to see it beacuse I always go to movies that my Friend, Buck Taylor is in. His wife sent me an e-mail several months ago that he was going to be in the movie. I also like to watch Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig in movies.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 11:13:20 AM »
Ya know, I've thought about this movie and joked about it and made fun of it...then I started thinking, what about a lot of the old ghost towns that are just there with no history whatsoever? That's it! Alien abduction!
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:17:07 PM »

44caliberkid

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 11:36:51 AM »
I will be at the 1:30 show in 2 hours.   Been waiting for this since January.   Great producers (Ron Howard, Spielberg) good director (John Favreu), good actors, how can they go wrong?
    Last night on history channel they had a show about "real" cowboys and aliens, or should say, cowboys, Indians and aliens, since much of it was about Indian art and stories in north America showing flying machines and weird alien looking characters.  And also, tribes and settlements that just vanished.   It's all myth and legend but it's fun.   

44caliberkid

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 06:34:45 AM »
Ok, I saw it and it was pretty good.   Good story, lots of interesting sub plots.   Relationship between Harrison Ford and his Indian cowhand was good.   Daniel Craig made a good hero.   Lots of other good old west characters.   Lots of conversion revolvers, a Schofield, and some SAA's.   I never got a good look at the little rifle that the Preacher (and later Doc) were using.   Saw a Yellow Boy a few times.   Good action movie set in the old west with sci-fi.

Offline kurt250

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 05:04:07 PM »
i haven't seen it yet, but its a plot theme that has yet been used. that alone makes it a movie i'll rent. i never go to theaters anymore. there too  exspensive, and those comfortable chairs in the dark put me asleep in a heart beat. its about time that there be some new  story lines instead of remaking the successful movies from the past with new (and many times with much less talented actors) a good movie must start with a good story. movie effects can't do it. look at the remake of the "day the earth stood still". the people who were responsable  for that crime should have been lynched . kurt250

Offline Two-Step

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 03:49:23 PM »
Before the move opened in theaters, there was a show that mentioned an actual " Cowboys and Aliens" event. So, is it the myth behind the legend or passive deniability and conspiracy through the use of popular culture?  ;D

During the 1896–1897 time frame (some six or seven years before the Wright Brothers' first flight), numerous sightings of a cigar-shaped mystery airship were reported across the United States.

One of these accounts appeared in the April 19, 1897 edition of the Dallas Morning News. Written by Aurora resident S.E. Haydon, the alleged UFO is said to have hit a windmill on the property of a Judge J.S. Proctor two days earlier at around 6am local time, resulting in its crash. The pilot (who was reported to be "not of this world", and a "Martian" according to a purported Army officer from nearby Fort Worth) did not survive the crash, and was buried "with Christian rites" at the nearby Aurora Cemetery. (The cemetery contains a Texas Historical Commission marker mentioning the incident.)

Purportedly, wreckage from the crash site was dumped into a nearby well located under the damaged windmill, while some ended up with the alien in the grave. Adding to the mystery was the story of Mr. Brawley Oates, who purchased Judge Procter's property around 1945. Oates cleaned out the debris from the well in order to use it as a water source, but later developed an extremely severe case of arthritis, which he claimed to be the result of contaminated water from the wreckage dumped into the well. As a result, Oates sealed up the well with a concrete slab and placed an outbuilding atop the slab.

Wouldn't be interesting to find out that Aliens actually did come to Earth during the "old west" era. Imagine showing up to a old west reenactment with your laser gun and metallic flight suit....   Imagine the effect it would have on "purist" old west reenactor types... the "if you can document it then you can use it rule" would drive them crazy   ;D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Offline kurt250

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 06:52:45 PM »
as long as people have been looking into the sky they have been seeing things. with the advent of these cell phones (that it seems every teenager on earth has stuck to there ear) and since they all have digital cammeras , there should be some pictures out there or coming soon that aren't grainy or out of focus. perhaps finally were will see if we really are alone. kurt250

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 10:35:06 AM »
A mix of Cowboys, aliens and Apaches - they made it work. I think the strong characters of Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford were the driving factors.
I liked the post-Civil war guns and the loosey-goosey holsters worn x-draw. I wonder how many movie guns got dropped as they bounded around the rocks. Fast draw was not the be all and end all. When gun play was called for, the guns were in hand. There was a lot of shooting and not much reloading if any.

Beats me how reptilian critters without hands could build all the hi-tech gadgetry and it was never explained why they valued gold so highly with all the other mineral wealth they could have extracted on earth.

In any case, I'm designing a 'Cowboys & Aliens' stage. I found a Nerf dart launcher that is a three shot revolver that needs to be cocked for each shot. My wife will attach it to a velcro strap and the shooter will have to wear the 'bracelet' and fire the three darts at an 'alien' as part of the stage.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 06:23:36 PM »
PJ,
Right on!
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 06:45:25 PM »
The "B" western followers will love this

Roy VS Buck Rogers
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 08:12:15 PM »
Hi,

I kept waiting for someone to mention this ... . but didnt someone like (Gene Autry perhaps) make a matinee serial series where he fought aliens back in the early 50s of late 40s?

I remember the series vaguely, but can't remember who starred in it or anything to help research it ...

Does anyone besides me remember it more specifically?
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 09:37:04 PM »
Hi,

I kept waiting for someone to mention this ... . but didnt someone like (Gene Autry perhaps) make a matinee serial series where he fought aliens back in the early 50s of late 40s?

I remember the series vaguely, but can't remember who starred in it or anything to help research it ...

Does anyone besides me remember it more specifically?

Gene Autry in "The Phantom Empire" maybe? It dates from the mid thirties and competed with the "Buck Rodgers" serials.One of the PBS stations used to run those old serials on Sat. afternoons and showed it.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 12:56:48 AM »
Both Gene Autrey and 'The Phantom Empire' sound about right ...

And the military oversesas used to run long run -out stuff (probably because there was no copyright tariffs). (I was an AF Brat in France just before Degaulle kicked us out ...).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phantom_Empire

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026867

http://www.imagesjournal.com/issue04/infocus/phantomempire.ht
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 11:38:31 AM »
The Westerns Channel periodically re-runs this Gene Autry biography and in it they mention that Phantom Empire movie was one of the first, if not the first movie he ever did.

Offline Indianterritorytom

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 05:07:58 PM »
The holsters for Cowboys and Aliens was made by Chisholm Trail, or so I'm told.

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 06:22:01 PM »
The holsters for Cowboys and Aliens was made by Chisholm Trail, or so I'm told.

About two years ago, I tried to order a holster rig from Victor Perez, who was the shop manager for Andy Anderson, who, in turn, worked with Arvo Ojala. I had previously received from Victor, an exact replica of the Clint Eastwood rig. It is first rate. Victor said that my order might be delayed as he had just signed a contract for the rigs for the Cowboys and Aliens movie. At that time, no one had heard anything about the movie.  In subsequent conversations, he told me about meetings with Harrison Ford and others in the movie. It could have all been BS but I never did get my rig and after 8 months of phone calls and excuses, gave up and got my money back.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 06:04:09 PM »
I didn't go to the movies when "Cowboys and Aliens" came out. I waited till it came out on Blu-Ray and bought it. It is total excapeism. I got it because my long-time friend Buck Taylor was in it. He was in the opening scene and says the opening lines. Harrison Ford shoots him. I try to purchase the movies that Buck is in for my Movie Collection. My personal favorite is "Tombstone".
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Indianterritorytom

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 11:56:53 AM »
About two years ago, I tried to order a holster rig from Victor Perez, who was the shop manager for Andy Anderson, who, in turn, worked with Arvo Ojala. I had previously received from Victor, an exact replica of the Clint Eastwood rig. It is first rate. Victor said that my order might be delayed as he had just signed a contract for the rigs for the Cowboys and Aliens movie. At that time, no one had heard anything about the movie.  In subsequent conversations, he told me about meetings with Harrison Ford and others in the movie. It could have all been BS but I never did get my rig and after 8 months of phone calls and excuses, gave up and got my money back.

I ordered a gun belt from. Chisholm similar to the open top that Tom Selleck uses in Crossfire Trail.
While on the phone placing the order he asked if I'd seen C &A, at that time I hadn't so he told me to watch it, that he'd made the holsters.
It's one of those things no-one will know for sure, except for the maker and whomever was directly involved with the movie. ???

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 03:02:58 PM »
I didn't pay close attention to the holsters, other than they looked fairly PC as movie rigs go.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com