Author Topic: 38/40 serial number  (Read 403 times)

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 168
38/40 serial number
« on: May 06, 2024, 08:40:36 AM »
I'm looking at a USFA in 38/40, with the serial number being 22406. US parts gun? Turnbull CCH finish, 7.5" barrel, looks like new. Approximate value? Thanks.
King Medallion

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 930
Re: 38/40 serial number
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 11:43:54 AM »
King, I'm not expert on USFAs. I just have several and like and appreciate them very much. I've generally been told the US made parts started taking over in the mid to late 23,000 range and by the 24,000s you could be sure you had a US sourced gun. If that is correct it makes your 22,000 numbered gun a likely Uberti parts gun.This isn't carved in concrete so maybe some one with more authorative information will  chime in shortly.

Dave

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 94
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 05:59:08 PM »
I think what Dave T said is about right. Like him I am no expert. Pictures of the cylinder, front sight, ejector shroud cam, and hammer sure would help.
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:23:49 AM »

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2024, 08:08:12 PM »
King Medallion,

Here is a link to a 2016 posting that a lot of people added their knowledge to about the USFA (not USAF) and earlier revolvers.  Two of them are the people that have already posted to you.

https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=57348.0

I think it will answer your SN# question but not your pricing question.

Shortly after this 2016 timeframe. there was a local shop that had a 'special order' USFA (not USAF) polished steel finished 38/40 'China Camp' at a price of $1400.  I believe China Camp revolvers were all USA made.  I was watching for several weeks but it sold before I could gather and justify the monies.  This is the only price reference point, I can offer to you.

I, unfortunately, was never able to put my hands on a Rodeo or any affordable USFA (not USAF) - USA revolver.

Good luck if you do get this one.

PS -- Thanks Coffinmaker
Black River Smith

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2024, 10:05:14 PM »
Judging by what I've read so far, it's a parts gun.

King Medallion

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2024, 09:23:50 AM »

:) Hey King  ;)

I'm the wrong guy to comment about USFA value as I don't "collect" anything and feel the "Collectors" have price USFA well beyond actual "value."

However, do not allow a USFA "parts" gun to turn you away.  USPFA/USFA turn'd Uberti sourced parts into really really FINE revolvers and you can't go wrong with Turnbull.  Some speak of "Parts" guns with distain.  Horsepucky.

BLACK RIVER:  Just for funnies, it's "USFA" really not "USAF."  USAF is well know for their AIRPLANES.  USFA, on the other hand, are known for SINGLE ACTION guns.(Chortle chortle snicker snicker  ::) )

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2024, 03:36:44 PM »
King,
The photos you provided are not sufficient to make a positive determination based on them alone. It does have the cone shaped firing pin as do all USA parts guns, but need the photos I suggested in my previous post.

I agree with Coffinmaker about not letting a parts gun turn you away, but on the other hand I personally would not pay the price most USFA USA parts guns sell for these days for one built from Italian parts, but that is just me.

I did notice in the photo the cylinder has a turn line or at least a partial turn line. Personally, for me that would hurt its value some.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2024, 09:57:19 PM »
Here are more pic's. Price is 2K.

King Medallion

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2024, 01:24:07 PM »
Looking around and found a pre-war 38/40, serial #113840. That should, from what I've been reading, be an all US parts gun?
King Medallion

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2024, 02:45:55 PM »
So, asking again, a pre-war 38/40, serial #113840 black powder frame. Is this one a US made pistol? Priced at $1800.

King Medallion

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2024, 01:39:38 PM »

:) King  ;)

Hanging it all out, based on the Roll Marks and SN, I'm calling it a US Parts gun.  Either way, it's and excellent example.  Cylinder shows signs of the action having been cycled several times at least.  Price isn't out of line with current trends for USFA offerings.

Your Move.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2024, 11:44:13 AM »
The  regular USFA Single Action has a different serial number range from the USFA Pre-War. Any regular SA over 24xxx should be 100% USA but I don't think you can tell anything by the serial number on a Pre-War. The Pre-Wars used a 1st Gen Colt serial number and you could custom order any serial number you wanted, probably anything from 1 to 357000 or so. A Pre-War has to be judged by it features. It's been so long since I actually thought of buying a USFA that I can't really remember what you're supposed to look at. Just going by the fit and finish I would say there's a very good chance that Pre-War .38 WCF is 100% USA but I can't say for sure. If it's unfired and in the box $1800 would be a great deal for a 100% USA made Pre-War.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2024, 04:00:54 PM »
On USA parts made USFA's the cylinder flutes are not as pointed as on Italian parts guns, the ejector shroud housing cam is longer on USA parts guns, the firing pin is cone shaped on USA parts guns, the front sight is the same thickness from top to bottom on USA parts guns (Government Series guns are the exception), when the loading gate is opened the little hole where the loading gate pivot post goes into the frame is a small triangle and not rectangular or square, and the loading gate pivot arm is thicker on USA parts guns. As I stated earlier good photos of those areas would help. There may be other things one could identify that would help but at the present I cannot think of them.

I do remember one other, the checkering on the hammer spur is cut and not cast I believe.

I am certainly no expert but those are the things I have learned to look for in an attempt to identify USA parts guns from Italian parts guns. Others here probably know other ways to identify them. Somewhere Yahoody posted a article with photos on some of the things I have mentioned but I have been unable to find it. Up in the thumbtack area of this forum is a post by Yahoody about the little hole that shows where the loading gate pivot post fits into the frame.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com