Author Topic: What Remakes Would You Like to See?  (Read 5281 times)

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 638
What Remakes Would You Like to See?
« on: November 15, 2014, 02:41:50 PM »
They've remade True Grit and 3:10 to Yuma.  What movie would you like to see remade/updated?  Maybe there was a basic plot idea turned into a poor movie in the past.  Or perhaps you'd just like to see an updated version with more historically accurate costumes and props.

It's a hard one for me because I generally love older movies.  Maybe Hondo could be remade to good effect, though (ducking for cover).  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that movie, but I think a good remake could bring out different aspects to the story.

Any other suggestions?

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: What Remakes Would You Like to See?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 12:02:32 AM »
No one has a remake suggestion.  How about a remake that should not have been made?  I'd vote for (against?) any of the Stagecoach remakes.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 02:46:17 AM »
Ride the High Country

Rooster Cogburn (Jeff Bridges Required)

Winchester '73

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:27:46 AM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 02:35:03 PM »
I was thinking about Winchester '73 too. .Again, I really like the original, but it would be interesting to see it updated with modern costumes, props and acting styles. Maybe in a remake, when an actor holds up a gun and says it's a Henry, it would be a Henry rather than another Winchester.

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 11:49:16 PM »
I was thinking about Winchester '73 too. .Again, I really like the original, but it would be interesting to see it updated with modern costumes, props and acting styles. Maybe in a remake, when an actor holds up a gun and says it's a Henry, it would be a Henry rather than another Winchester.

It would be a joke.  1)  No modern actor can top Jimmy Stewart, not even a top notch actor of today (seeing Stewart break out slamming Dan Durya into the bar with a....very convincing ticked off tone and expression can't be done today), 2) it would be all politically correct.  One black (that's an expert on any given subject and acts more like a modern hip Shaft character that speaks the Kings English), one Mexican, one Chinese and a woman that can beat up/shoot up all the men and all the white men are swaggering buffoons that go out of their way to say and do "racist" and "sexist" things), 3) the Winchester '73 would be used like a machine gun.

3:10 to Yuma was horrible to me.  Van Heflin was a lot tougher than Christian Fail.   Ending was terrible. 

True Grit....was okay.  Fat Jeff Bridges grunting and groaning his way through the script doesn't even approach The Duke.   Brad Arm Pit in place of Glen Campbell is sort of a plus...but that's only because Glen Campbell is a better singer than an actor.   Kim Darby was a lot more likeable as Mattie Ross than Wednesday Adams.   BUT, it did made South Arkansas look like South Arkansas rather than West Colorado (with Aspen trees and white top mountains everywhere).

Most Westerns stand alone, are timeless and cannot (and should not) be redone.  If they are, even if they are good, they fall short.  An excellent example of this is Rio Bravo.  Was remade twice, El Dorado and Rio Lobo. (or four times if you count the two Assault on Precinct 13).  Those aren't bad remakes per se, but they just can't even come near the original classic. 

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 10:29:36 AM »

True Grit....was okay. Kim Darby was a lot more likeable as Mattie Ross than Wednesday Adams.

You gotta be in Colorado, because whatever you are smoking is really affecting your judgement. Kim Darby looked more like a 25 year old metrosexual emo male than she did a fourteen year old girl. Plus, her acting was as bad as a drama filled 25 year old emo male.

Offline TUCO-the-ratt

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 10:42:15 PM »
Not really a remake I but I would to see a movie made about the true story of Texas Lawman, Dallas Stoudenmire.

The story is here.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Stoudenmire

As a side point Winchester 73 wasn't perfect. At one point the "expert" Jimmy Stewart Leans on the butt of the 73 and grinds the muzzle right into the dirt like only a movie cowboy would.

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 12:50:34 AM »

You gotta be in Colorado, because whatever you are smoking is really affecting your judgement. Kim Darby looked more like a 25 year old metrosexual emo male than she did a fourteen year old girl. Plus, her acting was as bad as a drama filled 25 year old emo male.

LOL!!  Didn't say she was perfect.  She did play a girl of that age a year or two earlier on Star Trek (but with longer hair).  But her character was a lot more amusing and likeable compared to the creepy Wednesday Adams looking girl.    (EXAMPLE: Her exchange with Strother Martin's character was a lot better in the original)

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 06:16:22 PM »
Brad Arm Pit in place of Glen Campbell is sort of a plus

Actually, it was Door Matt Damon (it took me a while to come up with a name to match your style, Doug).

I think both True Grits have something to offer, but I'll have to say that I'm a big fan of the book, which is brilliant.  It's one of the few books I've finished reading, then turned back to the first page and started again.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 10:27:24 PM »
Actually, it was Door Matt Damon (it took me a while to come up with a name to match your style, Doug).

I think both True Grits have something to offer, but I'll have to say that I'm a big fan of the book, which is brilliant.  It's one of the few books I've finished reading, then turned back to the first page and started again.

CC Griff

When I was posting that I thought it might be Door (good one) Matt Damon but I get both those two pretty boys mixed up in movies all the time.  

They are both excellent examples of why it's hard to do a good remake of good classic movies.  I can't see either of those two modern movie "heros" standing in for the likes of Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda, John Wayne, Richard Whitmark, Robert Taylor, Glen Ford, Robert Ryan, Gary Cooper or even Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson.    That generation of actors had nothing to do with pretty boy metrosexual looks (like Door Matt and Arm Pit) and everything to do with maturity, manliness and being a gentleman to the ladies (and tough on the bad men).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com