Author Topic: Wyatt Earp's self promotion?  (Read 3521 times)

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline griswold

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wyatt Earp's self promotion?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 11:55:59 AM »
Wyatt was also a gambler after his days in Az. In 1887 he was here in Fort Worth with his gambling pal Bat Masterson, plying his trade at the White Elephant Saloon on the 300 block of Main St, then owned by his friend from Dodge, Luke Short. He and his wife left for Kansas in late Jan or early Feb just prior to the famous shoot out in Fort Worth between Luke Short and Jim Courtwright on Feb 16th on the sidewalk next door to the White Elephant saloon. Courtwright, a former sheriff of Ft Worth was a operator of a protection racket he called a detective agency. Some historians claim Courtwright established the first organized crime operation in Texas and was suppose to be the fastest draw in Texas. But he was drunk and Short drew his Thunderer faster.
Wyatt knew some shady characters but he ran with his pals......all gamblers in Ft Worth, Dodge, Abilene and other places..including establishing a saloon in Alaska with his wife Josephine.(not a bad looking woman, the Behan photo shown below)..as depicted in the movies. What he did in his later life in LA........I guess this fella's book covers that.
There is a plaque commemorating that gun fight on the original building that is still standing in Ft. Worth.

Griswold,
The Griswold was favored by my Great Grand Pa James Henry Story who rode with the 7th Georgia Cavalry.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 12:24:23 PM »
Griswold

You are a master of understatement! That woman is a beauty of the first order - in ANY era. Even my wife agrees on that, and she rates pretty highly herself.

... with his wife Josephine.(not a bad looking woman, the Behan photo shown below)

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:55:02 AM »

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 03:24:13 PM »
Wyatt was also a gambler after his days in Az. In 1887 he was here in Fort Worth with his gambling pal Bat Masterson, plying his trade at the White Elephant Saloon on the 300 block of Main St, then owned by his friend from Dodge, Luke Short. He and his wife left for Kansas in late Jan or early Feb just prior to the famous shoot out in Fort Worth between Luke Short and Jim Courtwright on Feb 16th on the sidewalk next door to the White Elephant saloon. Courtwright, a former sheriff of Ft Worth was a operator of a protection racket he called a detective agency. Some historians claim Courtwright established the first organized crime operation in Texas and was suppose to be the fastest draw in Texas. But he was drunk and Short drew his Thunderer faster.
Wyatt knew some shady characters but he ran with his pals......all gamblers in Ft Worth, Dodge, Abilene and other places..including establishing a saloon in Alaska with his wife Josephine.(not a bad looking woman, the Behan photo shown below)..as depicted in the movies. What he did in his later life in LA........I guess this fella's book covers that.
There is a plaque commemorating that gun fight on the original building that is still standing in Ft. Worth.

I have read that this picture has been debunked, as a picture of Josie Marcus Earp. I wish I could remember which book I read that in.

I have read where this picture was found to have been taken in New York. The story said that the negative was found in the effects of a former photographers studio.

Bill

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 03:30:30 PM »
Just go to your favorite search engine and type in 'Kaloma' - there's a lot of information - the key item being the fact that the 'C.S. Fly' photography shop was deeply involved in promoting itself, and selling divers photos of the Old West - always prominently marked with their logo.

None of Josie Earp have surfaced bearing Fly's imprint.

At the time the photo was taken in 1914, Josie Earp would've been 53.

It was used as cover art for 'I Married Wyatt Earp'..

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 03:38:50 PM »
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/07/21/the-wyatt-earp-myth-america-s-most-famous-vigilante-wasn-t.html

NAH!   Wyatt tell porkies?   Couldn't happen.

This writer is about half true. But his unsupported supposition and innuendo, tell me that he didn't research his comments before he wrote them.

There weren't many prominent people, that were the complete good guys, in the Old West. Nothing has changed, it is still like that now...

Stuart Lakes book wasn't well written and it includes many myths and outright fabrications. Lake claimed this was due to the influence of Josie Earp who wanted to sanitize Wyatt Earps reputation, after his death, as much as possible. However, Stuart Lake's book did start the myth and legend of Wyatt Earp rollng.

If you want to learn something substantive history about the real Wyatt Earp, read the book "The Last Gun Fight" by Jeff Guinn. Guinn"s well documented, well researched book about Wyatt Earp, has everything, warts and all.

And if you still want more interesting reading, read the book about Wyatt Earp: "The Life Behind the Legend" by Casey Terfertiller.

Bill

Offline griswold

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 05:23:04 PM »
Just go to your favorite search engine and type in 'Kaloma' - there's a lot of information - the key item being the fact that the 'C.S. Fly' photography shop was deeply involved in promoting itself, and selling divers photos of the Old West - always prominently marked with their logo.

None of Josie Earp have surfaced bearing Fly's imprint.

At the time the photo was taken in 1914, Josie Earp would've been 53.

It was used as cover art for 'I Married Wyatt Earp'..

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"Well, if it isn't then it ought to be!" quote from Boyer who published the book ' I Married Wyatt Earp' and I agree.
There is another photo that claims to be her and taken in Flys and that woman isn't glamorous.......according to this I found online just now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Married_Wyatt_Earp

Doesn't matter really, both are legend now and I don't far see anything changing that.
Griswold,
The Griswold was favored by my Great Grand Pa James Henry Story who rode with the 7th Georgia Cavalry.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com