Author Topic: Wild Bill  (Read 4386 times)

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Wild Bill
« on: June 29, 2007, 08:57:19 PM »
Watched Wild Bill a couple times lately. With Jeff Bridges as Wild Bill.

I know it variers from the historic line some,,but I got to say..

Bridges to me, nails the character of Wild Bill.

Marshal Deadwood

Offline thehairlessone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Wild Bill
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 10:11:48 AM »
i love that movie. Parts of it are a little silly but it is a great movie overall.

rick

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 08:50:50 PM »
Saw this for the first time last night.
     Loved it!  Talked with a few pards today an the only bogus story line they could recall was the relationship between the killers Ma an Bill.  That an they prettied up Calamity Jane a bunch.
     Bridges was great an I can't believe I missed this one on the first go round.  Think I'll watch it agin.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:47:21 AM »

Offline Zip Wyatt

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 10:25:05 PM »
Bridges was pretty darn good but I got to give the number one spot to Keith Carradine in Deadwood.

Zip
So what else is on your mind besides hundred-proof women, 'n' ninety-proof whiskey, 'n' fourteen-carat gold?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 07:57:15 AM »
not surprised you missed it.
It only saw a very short and limited run in Theaters.  ::) and was out on VHS in record time...

Will Bill had been rumored in pre-production but was push back several times. I had been in contact with the UPM.
By the time I heard it was a go to be shot, I was in Texas working on North & South III.

Friends Rudy Ugland, Jimmy & Sharon Medearis, Thell Reed and Patrick Gorman were involved...

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 09:17:54 PM »
What the heck, a dissenting opinion: I still don't like it.  I deliberately watched it again and tried to look at it anew but alas, I still found it annoying.  Just strikes me as Hollywood or somebody trying to do something "cool" with something historic.  Ends up contrived to me.  And I like Jeff Bridges.  At the end of the movie, I didn't take a liking to Wild Bill.  Was that the point, to besmerch an American icon?  Maybe, knowing Hollywood.

It's also possible that this weekend being such an exceptional weekend for watching westerns (Searchers, Silverado, Open Range), that this one just wasn't as good as the others.  It didn't connect with me.  Still.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 01:41:04 PM »
Dissenting opinions are an important part of any forum BP.
     Comparing Wild Bill to the others you mentioned (GREAT movies) does make it pale.  I guess in this day and age we're all looking for new westerns--any new western.  When I watched it I was comparing it to the Brad Pitt Jesse James movie that I had just seen, and that's probably what made me enjoy it so much.  I guess it's all relative.   ;)

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline piebiter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 12:34:57 PM »
I agree about Bridges doing a creditable job as Wild Bill, I also liked James Gammon's work in this one as well. I get this one out every now and then when I need a Wild Bill fix.

Offline SlimPigguns

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 07:43:47 PM »
I liked Bridges as Wild Bill, but felt it could have been a better movie if a more historically accurate. I am no historian, but the ending seems to be far from anything I have read. - Pete

Offline Dusty Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 06:51:39 PM »
Could have been a better movie, but Bridges is, IMHO, the best WB yet.  Even looked more like him.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com