Author Topic: The Hamburger?  (Read 14131 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: The Hamburger?
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2007, 08:50:27 AM »
The one I remember best was a Kresskes Kreaskes oh heck, the one that began with a K. :D  I don't remember much about their hamburgers, but I do remember they had good pie, always have liked pie. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2007, 10:53:06 AM »
Talk about pie and other delights from early memory.

One of my earliest memories was being downtown in Omaha with my Gran'ma and going into Northup-Jones.  Had my first piece of Boston Cream pie.
They had regular restaurant features, but it was basically designed to service the downtown work force who needed to get in and be served quickly while on a lunch break from the office. One section you could put your money into a slot and they would give you your selection. Kinda like the 'luncheonette' idea, but I don't remember if there was a wall of little cubicles, each with its own door, to get your selection.

All the women wore dresses and funny hats with feathers or gauze, and all the men were in suit and tie and wore fedoras or similar. This the mid-fifties.   
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2007, 11:23:39 AM »
pie just seem to smell and taste better back then,  I'd always have one of them good hamburgers, of course my grandma would always have the blue plate special.
seems like by the mid 60's all those were gone and the drive ins and McDonald's were getting the business.

I remember the first hamburger I ate at a McDonalds, took about 2 bites and threw it away, :o sorriest excuse for a hamburger I'd ever seen at the time.  they ain't improved any I don't think. ;D
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 08:05:34 PM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2007, 11:26:53 AM »
Can't answer you on that, ain't ate there for over 15 years and that was only to not to hurt an 80 some year old ladies feelings. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2007, 11:43:53 AM »
ya know I always figured the reason I didn't like those fast food burgers, is I was raised on better burgers than that, those they throw together were just never worth eating,
you can still get those good burgers in places, our BBQ place makes the old time burgers and about 2 other places around here I'd eat a burger,
I'm like you on the mcdonalds, I know it's been forever since I've had a burger there. and probably won't any time soon ;D

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2007, 11:49:49 AM »
Got a good place to get a burger and fries, my kitchen, ain't done it in a while but go get some cheap sirlion and drag out the grinder, peel some good tators and slice.  Drag out the Lodge Iron grill that fits two burners on the stove, grid irons up, drag out Grandma's old chicken fryer and the lard, I think you know the rest, except you need to plan ahead and have the buns just coming out of the oven when you start the burgers and fries. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2007, 12:05:20 PM »
Gezzzzzz…..  Ya get ta feelin’ so old.

Well remember bein’ with my Grandma shoppin’ downtown Norfolk.  We’d ride the bus there ‘n back.  Lunch was at the counter in Woolworth’s.  Don’t specifically remember what was on the menu but I have no doubt there were hamburgers on there.  The buildin’s still there.  Belongs to Tidewater Community College now.  Part of the revitalization of downtown.  Ole Cousin Tom werks across the street in the reconfigured Smith & Welton department store.  Smith & Welton had a very fancy mezzanine dining area with a big ole hole in the middle so ya could watch the folks on the first floor.  Very elegant ole buildin’ I’m truly happy was saved even if it is all city office space now days..

Grass cuttin’ for me brought a buck ‘n a half a yard.  I’d start in the mornin’ ‘n end up in the afternoon.  Walk ta  Murden’s drug store, sit it the counter ‘n have a burger ‘n a tall Coke with cruched ice in a tall glass.  PLUS the place was air conditioned.  The house I lived in wasn’t.

McDonald’s (spit) was about four blocks from a local drive in movie place.  This was before they had the golden arches.  Those were added later.  Park the car ‘n walk up to the window to order.  Get yer stuff then go to the Azalea Drive In.  It stunk but it was easy ‘n when ya had a date in the car it didn’t matter.  The buildin’ taday is a U-Haul rental outlet.  The Azalea is a rent a box storage place.

Shoney’s had the best business then.  The Rodders, with good soundin’ pipes ‘n chrome wheels, hung out there.  They had curb service ‘n better burgers.  They did cost ya more thou………
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2007, 12:14:48 PM »
We're lucky here, athough Lincoln is about 250,000 once you leave the city limits in any direction it is rural with only smal (150-1000 pop)  towns.  Burgers are simple, find the loacal bar or saloon, they have good ones, I can hit several withing a 1/2 from home and we do once in a while.  But we have 1 about 8 blocks from home that is just a small town bar just inside the limits of town, damn good food.  Of course I can be out of the city limits and one a good old fashioned gravel road in 5 minutes.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2007, 12:21:53 PM »
Arcey, that part about the pipes sounding good makes the think of the route we took through Muskogee on Sat. night.  big ole grocery store parking lot on the west side of town,  spot somebody you'd want to try at a stop light, wait till they left pull out on Broadway, no stop lights for about a mile, then you'd be downtown, lots of lights, kinda tease em till you got to the East side Blvd turnoff, when you got there 3 lights, wide streets and ready to race. get your race outa the way then cruise on over to the corral drive in to make the turnaround, had an L-88  solid lifter cam in the old 396 Chevelle and burned out glass packs, just kinda held the brake lopped through there with the pipes sounding good, then 5 miles back, same route  to the grocery store parking lot.  do it again in a little bit.

gas was cheap in them days less than a quarter a gallon. ;D

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2007, 12:50:30 PM »
Rita got a book for Christmas called "A Street Called O" all about the main street is Lincoln, all about the old cruising places, and bussiness in town alnong it, some I remember, some before my time, had a picture of something I forgot about, somebody had a bunch on buttons made up in the 70's, had a Camero with a blower on it, said "O Street Racing Team." ;D  I had a 67 Beetle back then, stripped of un needed weight with about 150 hp in the back end and a set up suspension, fooled quite a few in the short runs, if not I could just go around the corner with out slowing down and show them there was more than straight lines. ;D

(Weighed it at the grain elavator in Cook one time, a bit of 1700 pounds with me in it.)  My co-worker at the VW shop I worked at set it up so red-line was when the valves floated, when it quit accerating, just shift, that was about 45 in first and about 65 in second and about 85 in 3rd. the way they are geared.  Never floated them in 4th, the front end would lift a bit and ruin the air flow. ::)  I had more guts than brains back then like all of us. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2007, 03:50:49 PM »
Ahhhh, the Chevelles.  Those, the GTOS, the nasty Buick GS 455s ‘n the 442’s.  I ah taken either.  Couldn’t afford neither.   Did get my hands on a new ’71 Mercury Cyclone with a 429 ‘n a four speed (factory Hurst shifter) I could have made a deal on ‘cuz my future father-in-law was the salesman.  But me ‘n my future (still stuck with) wife was tryin’ ta save money.  Then there was that Rambler we talked about before I didn’t buy.

Always liked to hang ‘em out in turns. Do to this day.  That’s the frustrated never-was stock car driver in me.  One in particular I loved ta hit when it was wet, hang that convertible slam sideways.  Pushed it a bit too much in the drizzle one mornin’ ‘n lost it.  Turned it around ‘n BAM the front end inta the curb.  Backed it off the curb ‘n got it pointed home. The steerin’ wheel was upside down goin’ straight.  Got home ‘n looked ‘n the front tires were cross-eyed.  My old man threw a fit. Idler, tie rod end, lower A-frame………

Old Gulf or Shell station, one the two, in the middle-of-nowhere, on the way ta Princess Anne Court house in Norfolk County.  Lots ‘n lots of street racin’ ‘round there back then. Boundaries were drawn ‘n the ‘middle-of-nowhere’ it became the city of Virginia Beach in the mid sixties.  The old gas station changed to a bait ‘n tackle shop.  Used ta get our fishin’ license there.  Middle-of-nowhere was gettin’ ta be somewhere.  Built ‘em a golf course ‘n a school near by then they started buildin’ houses.

These days if I wanna good, old fashioned, sloppy burger with a layer of cheese, cold lettuce ‘n tomato slices on it with some mayonnaise I go to the Kempsville Grill.  It’s just a mile away without a stop light between here ‘n there.  The whole way is thru my neighborhood.  Ya prolly guessed it.  It’s the old gas station/tackle shop out in the middle-if-nowhere……..
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2007, 07:44:39 AM »
This thread is taking a turn.... I like  ;D

It started as Hamburger post , and has gone to nostalgia of eateries of our youth , and now hot cars ,
all this on a GUN BB .... is this is heaven on earth ?   ;)

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2007, 08:35:44 AM »
Just wait, eventually it will turn around to your First Love,. . .that, or your best bird dog.

Which may be the same. . .
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2007, 09:32:06 AM »
John you know a good bird dog is more faithful. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com