Author Topic: Curious question about Uberti's  (Read 16790 times)

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Curious question about Uberti's
« on: February 06, 2015, 03:18:28 PM »
When buying a Uberti do you stay away from the cattleman's with the safety hammer and just buy the Model P's?  Or did it matter to you?

If you have a cattleman with the safety hammer, did you change the hammer out to the more authentic Colt hammers?

I am going to look for a Uberti 44Mag or 44/40 in order to create a 44Spec or even just buy a 44Spec.   Just curious as to what type of firearm most prefer as far as looks and function.
Black River Smith

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1237
Re: Curious question about Uberti's
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 04:17:24 PM »
I am biased, but I prefer the Model P for various cosmetic features in addition to the hammer.  However, I don't think there is any functional problem with the Cattleman's hammer-block safety.  I've not heard of them failing, so if they do it is rare.  One of my oldest Cimarrons, a Thunderer, has the hammer-block safety but I don't plan on changing it.  Depending on the age of the gun, changing the hammer might also require a new trigger and hand.

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 04:57:16 PM »
Out of my bunch of Uberti's there's only one that has the hammer block safety. Even though I would much prefer the gun without the safety, in truth you hardly notice it and I had forgotten about it until I read your post. This particular pistol is at least 15 years old and I've never had the slightest issue with it.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:13:21 PM »

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 06:48:42 PM »
If you have a .44 Mag, why do you need to change it to a .44 Spl?
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 08:59:36 PM »
The comment was just to buy either one of them, for mainly the use (creation) of 44Spec, 44colt and 44rus.  I know, I would not have to buy a separate cylinder for the mag but the 44wcf, I would.  I will take either just for the 44 size.

Around my area, finding either one, used, is going to be a problem.  I will most likely have to buy new.

That is why I am curious as to what others have bought or favor.
Black River Smith

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 02:15:20 AM »
Few if any 44 mags in a "true" SAA.  But everyone from Colt to Great Western makes  44 Special.  Shoot a few of them myself from several makers.
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 128
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 02:05:00 PM »
It actually sounds like your going the long way around to wind up with a .44 Special.  Unless ........ what you really want is a dual cartridge handgun.  Modern .44 Special and 44-40 usually use the same standardized .429/430 bore diameter.  Having a 44-40 cylinder fitted to a 44 Special can be fun and interesting.
There have been several manufacturers who have made SAA look-a-likes in .44 Magnum.  Those copies of the SAA basic "look" have all been of about Ruger Vaquero (original) size.  Or about 15% larger than the SAA.  They do look "Fine from the freeway" however and handle both 44 Magnum and 44 Special interchangeably without changing cylinders.
About that hammer question.  I don't understand why it is even a question.  Authentic, as applied to an SAA (Colt) means original 1st Generation.  I'll risk life and limb here but, Anything else, including 2d & 3rd Generation Colts are just copies.  Authentic need not apply.
The old sliding block, safety notch activated hammer safety looks a little out of place boy is mechanically a non-issue.  Why spend money on a solution where there is no real problem.  If you ant something to look "exactly" like a Colt, go buy a Colt in the first place.
Now, the two position Base Pin Safety for passing the BATF drop test is truly a nuisance and needs to be resolved.  You forget, when you service the little ladies revolver and push that sucker in all the way, after the buzzer goes off, you WILL hear about it.  For weeks.  Don't ask how I know this thing.  Hacksaw.  Remove the last 3/16 at the recoil shield and re-polish.
If on the other hand, you really didn't want a dual cartridge handgun, ignore all of the foregoing except the the two position base pin.  ;D

Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 05:43:44 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  All are helpful and appreciated.

Yes, authenticity is/was important to me since I shot in the NCOWS Originals category since it inception.  But this handgun is more for 'versitility' and after re-reviewing the "show us" posting I just wondered what most people preferred.

The mag would be nice as part of the series but not absolute necessity.  Would never shoot mag loads anyway.  But if I found one at $299, like a previous poster found, then I would buy it.
Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 08:37:54 PM »
Abilene,

I know you know somethings about Cimarron so:  Are Model P's in 44/40 or 44spec considered a special order?  I do not think I want to wait another 4 to 5 months for a special order model.
Black River Smith

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 08:59:36 PM »
Special order?  No, although last I heard there were no .44-40 or .44 spcl Model P's in stock, only Pietta 44-40's.  Hard to say when more will be available.  Shipments come in all the time but much of them goes out to fill backorders. I always suggest having your dealer put whatever you want on backorder since there is no obligation. 

If you don't mind buying used, 44-40's show up fairly often.  I foiund a nickled 44-40 cylinder that fits perfectly in my .44 Spcl Thunderer so now I have a convertible as well.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 09:46:48 PM »
'If you don't mind buying used, 44-40's show up fairly often.'

Could you expand on your statement.  Where do they 'show up'?   I truly have not seen one in any of the LGS. 
Black River Smith

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 11:41:08 PM »
Where do they 'show up'?

gunbroker.com

gunauction.com

gunsamerica.com

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 09:04:15 AM »
Also SASS Wire Classifieds

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 10:14:20 AM »
I have both and prefer the model P.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 08:33:02 PM »
Well this desire will be slow to becoming reality.  If none are in stock and no cylinders are to be had for the alteration to 44spec then only time will tell.  Dealers already stating new would be 4-6 months, maybe.

I went to look at the gun selling siites and things are either too pricey or used conditions are iffy.  There were some 44mags listed also but starting price and shipping plus dealer trransfer costs, would be close to new prices.  Not for me at this time.

Also, looked at Pietta as an alternative.  Well they have 44/40's but VTI does not list a 44spec cylinder option, for alteration.  Pietta replacement cylinders are about 1.6X higher than Uberti prices. ???

Thanks for all the info.
Black River Smith

Offline Trueno

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 08:49:07 AM »

.44 Mag by Uberti was my first SAA, 1981 date code, I shoot mostly Specials through it.
Shown here in an older Viking rig.

t
Tell the truth, it's easier to remember.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 10:14:24 AM »
Trueno,

Nice rig.  Like you my idea of the 44mag is to shoot 44mag brass with lighter loads.  Then be-able to use 44spec and 44rus and 44colt as options.  I have an older 44mag Marlin that I started CAS with and would now like to use that brass and loading in a handgun, too.
Black River Smith

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 09:36:04 PM »
  A .44 Magnum is going to be a larger frame.

I'm a .44 Special nut and have three in Uberti. The first is an older Cattleman made for Cabela's that came to me a 44-40. I simply ordered a .44 Special cylinder from VTI, fitted it and never looked back. Incidentally the 44-40 cylinder has been gathering dust ever since. One of the others is a Model P/blackpowder frame.

Really, IMHO the .44 Special cartridge is about the most versatile handgun cartridge for most of us. With it you can run a 255 +/- gr. cast bullet right up to 1000 fps while staying within SAAMI specs, a load that will do for game up to and including deer and hogs. I've run both my 1873 .44 Specials (one a 4 3/4", the other a 5 1/2") over 1100 fps with 255 gr. SWC's with absolutely no ill affects, but after shooting three deer with the lighter loads, I see no need in heavier loads.

I've owned a couple of .44 Magnums but got rid of them because it just made no sense to me to buy a large, brutish revolver then load it down.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 04:49:22 PM »
Cholla Hill,

It was your posting over on the 'Show us yer clones' posting that has set me on this track.  I have shot 44/40BP for 10years.  Then in 2002 I changed to a 44 open top with 44Rus (251 gr bullet) favored cartridges.  But I have never had a 44spec caliber handgun and would like to experience this cartridge in a std SAA.  But then the cylinder also gives the option for the full 44 series (44spec/44rus/44colt) all in one revolver.  That is a big plus to me.  The Mag would just be another option for brass usage, not a power requirement.

Don't get me wrong I still like the open top design and looks but for a strong functional handgun, I just really like the SAA.  While I have favored the 7 1/2" barrrel for my CAS shooting, I am now preferring the 4 3/4", feel.

BRS
Black River Smith

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 05:03:11 PM »
 Well, congratulations for getting on this track! ;D

I too have a 7 1/2" Open Top and while it isn't much use or very practical for day to day use, it is hands-down the best pointing revolver I've ever held in my life. I use it for CAs and LOVE it!!
  Best of luck in your endeavors.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com